1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Glacier Storage - thoughts on use as cloud backup?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Embercide, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Embercide

Embercide Member

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

Has anybody here researched or used this service already?
    I was hoping they'd have a live chat agent that I could ask these questions directly but you guys are smart people ;)

* Basically I have about 3.5TB that I want to off-site backup.
    * Data retrieval would only be in a disaster scenario (fire, virus etc).
    * Storage pricing for 3.5TB at $0.012/GB works out to ~ $43.
    Do you think that would be one-off for the upload or monthly?
    *Our QNAP NAS has a built in Amazon S3 backup feature, would this work with Glacier?
    * Is there Amazon software I would install on a server that handles the backup/upload, incremental backups, ability to restore to specific time/date etc?

edit: Just thought of another personal use-scenario that might be good - backups of family photos etc!

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Is your 3.5TB of data work ~22K to restore?

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-hidden-cost-behind-AWS-glacier-retrieval-pricing

3. Zyklone

Zyklone Member

I used to use Amazon Glacier quite heavily for backups to the tune of 2TB or more. However with Microsoft's announcement to upgrade everyone who uses One Drive to 10TB I have since changed to paying for an Office 365 subscription, which gets me 5 copies of Office for all my pc's and 10TB of cloud based storage for $12 a month.

The best thing is, if for whatever reason I do need to restore, I'm not paying through the nose in restoration or access fees like I would with Glacier. In your situation you really should pump your figures into a Glacier costing calculator and then look at the retrieval cost as well, just in case you ever might need to restore. Your ongoing might be higher going with a 3rd party product, but your one off of restoring might be huge like 5 or 6 thousand so it averages out to be higher.

Although I do still keep 50GB of core files/documents backed up with Glacier so I have multiple copies

Depending on the software you use it would be upload once for bulk of the data, and then only version changes to files you make. You wouldn't need to reupload the entire archive.

Not sure. S3 and Glacier are very different. You should check to see if there is a Glacier product on QNAP. Synology developed their own client so I just used that on my NAS.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    Embercide

Embercide Member

We're already on O365 so the 10TB storage is a good idea and has basically canned any plans on Glacier ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Embercide

Embercide Member

6. tin

tin Member

Or anyone who would worry about bills in the thousands... That's insane.

7. Daemon

Daemon Member

Glacier charge for the rate of retrieval, which is odd to many but not too hard to work out. It's not designed for rapid restore, this is why they have S3.

To compare prices (roughly, since it varies), storing 3.5TB via S3 will cost you about $120 a month (assuming you're uploading 10% of new data a month). To retrieve the whole lot would cost about $400. If you want fast retrieval, this is what S3 is for.

If you want long term archiving and retrieve very little / last resort then Glacier can save you money. The same scenario (3.5TB / 10% change) would be less than $50 a month.

Retrieving all of the data over 1 month would cost about $500. In a week than it's about $650. Within a day then it'll be nearly $2000.

Of course if you're only restoring a few files then the costs are only a few dollars. This makes it perfect for long term archives / long term backups where you don't expect to retrieve the data or you pull back the data in small amounts.
    Amazon are quite clear about the usage, so it means anyone who racks up large bills didn't do their due diligence.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

What's googles new bulk storage thing?

is it rate capped at 2 parts fuck all a day like their mail etc?

9. joe_sixpack

joe_sixpack Member

If you're restoring your latest backups from Glacier, you're doing it wrong!

We store a portion of our backup data on S3 and using life-cycle rules archive aged data to Glacier.. usage is in the realm of 100+ TB.

There's not too many situations where I wouldn't recommend S3+Glacier as a way to complement a bulletproof backup strategy.

10. aza2001

aza2001 Member

I noticed yesterday amazon released cloud drive unlimited (I posted a topic in the storage forum) so for $60 unlimited storage and from what I can tell unlimited retrials too, but nothing mentioned about encryption etc...