Amazon Lumberyard

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Agg, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I don't normally spam specific products, but this one is free and looks like it might be of interest to aspiring game developers:

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

Amazon Lumberyard is a free AAA game engine deeply integrated
    with AWS and Twitch – with full source.

Amazon Lumberyard is a free, cross-platform, 3D game engine for you to create the highest-quality games, connect your games to the vast compute and storage of the AWS Cloud, and engage fans on Twitch.

By starting game projects with Lumberyard, you can spend more of your time creating great gameplay and building communities of fans, and less time on the undifferentiated heavy lifting of building a game engine and managing server infrastructure.

2. TaroT

TaroT Member

make sure you read the fine print.
    make a single player game and it is all yours regardless of what you make but use any of the services needed for multiplayer and it will cost.
    plus other services etc.

great idea love the competition with the unreal engine but it is still crytek and that engine has never floated any of my sea going vessels :)

oh and be careful of the downloads (10 gig to start plus other gear you will want) as some people are saying they are getting corrupt files, just a heads up.

maybe Hagg :) could start up a single player game making comp....

3. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yup, I think it's pretty clear you have to pay for any AWS services charges you incur as a result of using their hosting etc.

4. doug81

doug81 Member

It's always good to have options as there are those peeps that knock up simple stuff that this could work well for. Depending on the costs, multiplayer may still be a viable option depending on your game. Unity and Unreal are still the go-to for the moment, but Lumberyard seems worth playing around with :thumbup:

5. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Check out the terms of service :lol:

https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/

6. doug81

doug81 Member

In case your zombie game morphs from VR to R...

7. andydev

andydev Member

I love this project. It was secret for a while and really wanted to tell you guys about it and finally it's released.

Competition is good, and with the backend of AWS , it will help developers to easily scale and be in different AZ providing good performance for us Aussies.

8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I might get back into working on some really small project stuff again. Been ages since I did it but I really enjoyed the development process (even if I sucked at art).

I might give it a download and see how it is.