Amazon patents studio photography on seamless white background....

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by pogue_mahone, May 6, 2014.

1. pogue_mahone

pogue_mahone Member

Clicky clicky

Patent here

Not sure what this means for all you studio photographers... but something I thought of;

Does using a [insert other colour here] seamless background get around the issue and PS it white?

What are your thoughts??

2. CapnBloodbeard

CapnBloodbeard Member

Screw you all, I'm just going to patent photography

3. lionman

lionman Member

They couldn't prove the lighting setup used from an image anyway.

Another worthless patent added to the list of worthless patents.

4. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

This just gave me an idea. I'm going to patent patenting things. I'll make a fortune!

5. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

America, you are a fucking joke

6. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

make sure your table (platform) is either 20" or 22" inches high, and you're in the clear.

fucking americans, seriously. them and their frivolous patenting.

7. lionman

lionman Member

Its just Amazons team of lawyers trying to validate their existence.

Report at end of month to the board says "Total New Patents Filed This Month - 2343"

... and they all pat each other on the back.

Well done guys!

8. power

power Member

So who's going to patent pissing your name into snow? - I mean there's valuable IP there.

9. lithos

lithos Member

"Wur innuhvatin'! 'Merica!"

No, you're not. You're just a bunch of insular, redneck shitcocks, who's egos large enough to think that whenever your massive ignorance is enlightened a bit it's actually a new discovery.

10. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

Aaaah yes..... Jobs' presentation of the first iPhone springs to mind: Its a phone, an iPod, and an "internet communications device"...... :wired: ..... Translation: It has a web browser.... Oh and who could forget patenting a rectangular device with rounded corners?

11. Audionut

Audionut Member

12. synic

synic Member

To be expected

This is one of the reasons why I refuse to buy from Amazon.

RANT...

.. That and that they lobbed an email to me after somehow tracking that I was looking for a specific type / model of RAM. The email said "Looking for something" and a picture of the exact model and size RAM I had been Googling an hour before. Bloody tracking cookies. Never even went to Amazon but ended up with Amazon cookise some how ... that or Google gave them my search results.

Don't like being tracked and targeted by the U.S. like that. Pisses me off.

13. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

14. thommo101

thommo101 Member

Hopefully AskPatents can help establish some prior art and reject one of probably millions of useless patents.

15. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

Did Amazon hire Apple's patent lawyers or something?

16. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Pretty sure that is done by Google. Google makes a fortune for a reason. Google didn't give amazon your search results. Google used your search results to give you targeted marketing.

Edit - oh actually, you got an email from them now that is weird.. Thats a whole different level, marketing emails from amazon after you google'd it? wow. yeah that's pretty shit :p

Also, really confused about this patent. So it also is very vauge on the settings that are used.

85mm lens, so does this include zoom lenses with that focal range? Also is that on a crop body or FF? and what does "about 350ISO and about f5.6 even mean. 50-128000 and f/2.8-f/9?"

I think I might patent using 'about' 25% volume level on any TV, cause you know, I found the settings on the product that I don't even make, that work for me, so I'm going to patent them. Also cars that have about 4 wheels, maybe patent that too, pictures taken of ones self with a smart phone, patent that as well. Taking a dump at 'about' 3:45 (am or pm who knows)........ BAM PATENT!!! Just going to patent all up in this hizzzouusse...

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  17. Kennui

Kennui Member

I'm going to go against the flow because everyone here (and most of the internet) is just cracking jokes without fully understanding the situation. I can't say I fully understand the situation but someone needs to offer a different perspective or this is just one big circlejerk.

They are not simply patenting 'seamless white background'. They have 9 pages to detail their setup. Tell me your seamless white background setup takes up 9 pages. Mine doesnt.

Most unbiased sources comment that it appears to be patented in self defense and they won't be actively going into your home studio to catch you in the act of using their specific 9-page product photography setup.

Imagine in an alternate reality (and patent trolls do exist) where company X works out their setup and patents it, then sues Amazon for using 'their' specific setup. They spend a few grand or however much it cost to prevent this from happening.

Now if they started going after photographers for allegedly using their specific 9-page product setup, then I would have a problem with that. Get me when they do.

The focal length system is based on 35mm. To say it's 85mm on crop or medium format where they haven't, would be making things up. So 85mm at a specific distance will produce the field of view they use. That is like 5% of the equation.

Your examples are extremely broad relative to their one. Better comparisons:

Around 25% volume on a TV while facing 112° north, with a red brick wall behind it, while you are sitting on a purple couch. If this actually had a point (say, if it was a big asset to a 157 billion dollar company) then go ahead and patent it. Remember to get each step close enough or you won't be infringing on their patent.

Taking a dump 3:45am or 3:45pm plus/minus 5 minutes while also slapping the blue tiled wall next to you, tiles which are exactly 23cm squares and the wall at a distance of 50cm from the base of the toilet. This is my patented method of summoning a portal to a realm of infinite candy, and as a company that produces such portals, I cannot have people sue me for copying their technique/formula. Also my company is worth 150 billion dollars and although I also sell car parts and books, portal creation remains an important aspect of my business.

Last edited: May 17, 2014