1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD 2014 lines.

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stmok, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Digit

Digit Member

after reading the Tech Power Up review, these Kaveri chips are pretty disappointing! an incremental improvement over the older Richland chips, and they get walloped soundly by the Intel CPU's. Even the GPU's weren't that far ahead of the 4770k...

Maybe the A10 will be more competitive?

2. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

For the foreseeable future, you can pretty much bank on AMD having a weaker CPU and a stronger GPU, as has been the case for a few years. It comes down to horses for courses. If you want a neat little all in one light gaming solution, that's cheap, get AMD. If you want max CPU power, get Intel and a discrete card, and pay more.

Where AMD may claim an advantage is if their HSA compute ecosystem starts to take off. With PS4 and Xbone both having HSA chips with Hawaii GPU's, it's plausible. Certainly you can expect ported next-gen console games to be decently optimised for AMD APU's, without much developer effort.

3. BadaBing!

BadaBing! Member

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I couldn't find the TPU review, but gaming perf on other review sites is far ahead of any haswell. With the exception of some older games ( 65w AND 45w TDP included)

But anyway. My thoughts.

45 and 65w TDP's is where it's at.

Clearly they're not getting the frequency headroom to show any tangible benfit in having a 95w TDP, nor any benefit over 100w Richlands in the CPU department at least . The price delta betwen 7600 and 7850K is also far too big

the 7600 is a real sweet spot though. Combine a 7600 with an ITX board and You could make a great HTPC/ general use / casual gaming box, all in a 45 or 65w total TDP. Could even play BF4 , amongst other current games @ 1080p "playable" framerates if reviews are to be believed. You just can't achieve this with an i3. That's were these APU's strength is.. and it is a real strength too.

I really hope we're not "stuck" with only the 7850K in australia again :( especially if they don't support configurable TDP , as seems to be the case.

After all, at the RRP listed for the 7600 , I don't see why you wouldn't buy one over an i3 4xxx ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. .tekrox

.tekrox Member

Looks like we're stuck with the 7700K only for the moment.

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I'm keen for Kaveri if they can demonstrate that the GPU cores aren't wasted silicon with a discrete GPU. Need to see lots of examples of common windows software making use of the compute cores.

7. joshpond

joshpond Member

Thinking of picking up either the FX 6300 or the FX 8320.
    One thing these chips appear to do is passthrough (IOMMU) with the right mobo for ESXi whitebox.

Intel equivalent ends up costing much more.

Josh

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Im thinking about trying one too, did you get one?

:thumbup:

9. gazza30

gazza30 Member

Quite a fun platform to play with Aussie shame no HSA enabled software really use Kaveri to its full potential just yet.

10. bobster

bobster Member

The rumour is that games will me able to offload physics to the onboard graphics but the drivers arn't out there to do it yet.

11. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

AMD introduces Socket FS1b to offer Kabini APU in desktop market.

To clarify...
    FS1b = Socket name.
    AM1 = Platform name.

Main rival? Intel's Atom (Bay Trail-D)

The Desktop Kabini Review Part 1: AMD Athlon 5350 (AM1) Tested
    => http://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1

AMD Athlon 5350 And AM1 Platform Review: Kabini In A Socket
    => http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-5350-am1-platform-review,3801.html

The Gist?

Pros
    * Very cheap.
    * CPU side is better (overall) than Intel Bay Trail rival.
    * Better IGP performance than Intel Bay Trail rival. (In both games and GPGPU roles; Its approx 2x better).
    * IGP is slightly better in game performance than Intel HD 3000 IGP (found in their Sandy Bridge line).
    * Strong encryption performance. (Because it supports those specific instructions (AES-NI support) and its rival does not.)

Cons
    * Approx same performance (single-threaded) as Intel Bay Trail rival.
    * Higher power consumption than Intel Bay Trail rival.
    * Single-channel memory.
    * PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot is electrically only able to run at x4. (Limitation of the Kabini APU itself.)
    * Lower your expectations! Its aimed specifically for budget markets and scenarios for basic computing uses.

This is for those on a tight budget; who have basic every-day computer uses and gaming at low resolutions. All in a reasonably small package. (Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX mobo forms.)

12. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

UPDATE:

Preview of the next low-cost APU series...

AMD Beema and Mullins APU Performance – 3rd Generation APUs
    => http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-beema-mullins-apu_139863

AMD Low-Power APUs: Beema and Mullins Preview
    => http://www.techspot.com/article/810-amd-beema-and-mullins-preview/

A first look at AMD's Mullins mobile APU
    And a primer on Beema

=> http://techreport.com/review/26377/a-first-look-at-amd-mullins-mobile-apu

The gist...

* Beema => Kabini's successor => Affordable notebooks, low-cost desktops.
    * Mullins => Temash's successor => Tablet market.
    * Beema and Mullins use Puma+ cores.
    * Integrated ARM Cortex A5 as Platform Security Processor (PSP). For crypto acceleration and trusted computing uses.
    * Beema and Mullins's direct competitor is Intel Atom (Bay Trail series).
    * IGPs feature GCN-based GPU with 128 compute cores.
    * Still uses single-channel RAM. :( (They just support higher speed grade.)
    * More power efficient. (20% to 40% depending on model and load scenario).
    * Higher clocked...
    => Kabini (2Ghz) => Beema (2.4Ghz)
    => Temash (1.4Ghz) => Mullins (2.2Ghz)
    * System case temperature aware speed boost feature. (Skin Temperature Aware Power Management or STAPM).

The preview articles tested a Mullins-based tablet. Its a reference tablet design by AMD under the name of Discovery Project.

This APU series is expected to arrive in a few months time.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

14. Goodboys

Goodboys Member

15. Phido

Phido Member

A decent drop in CPU I guess. the 8370e seems to be pretty good for an AMD user. By why weren't these released in 2011 or 2012 when they might have been competitive and kept AM3+ alive a bit longer.

What I am finding with my 4790k is its twice as fast at half the power (of my 1090t). Single and multi threaded apps. Thats a pretty heavy increase to knock back. The techreport show that at the <$200 price point you could probably consider the AMD CPU's if they are a drop in.

However this is a good direction for AMD to head in. If they can use this a benchmark, and beat it in the next generation they might be able to become competitive in some market niches.

16. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

I have this Asrock board in my retro capturing / audio recording machine, currently with a Phenom II 555:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE FX/?cat=CPU

I'm considering upgrading the CPU to either a FX 6300 or this new 8370e. It seems that the 8370e is not that much faster but will cost quite a bit more (a bit over A$ 200 is my guess).

There aren't many (any) benchmarks I've seen comparing these two CPUs, so what are the faults of the AMD gurus?

Also the 6300 is readily available, I wonder if / when the 8370e will come to AU.

PS: I use this board because it has a floppy connector which I need for a USB floppy emulator.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  17. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Interesting that the board you have supports 125W Deneb, Thuban (and Zosma but who's ever seen that in Aust?) cores but not 125W Bulldozer or Vishera.
    Edit: add some active cooling to the VRMs and you never know what you might get away with.

18. Mau1wurf1977

Yea I don't trust it with a 125W CPU. I think I will go for the 6300. I found a comparison on Guru3D and there really is bugger all difference. The 6300 has less cores but clocks higher and even in heavily multi-threaded situations there isn't much of a difference.

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

It doesn't support 125w FX because the current is higher than a 125w deneb. they run a much lower Vcore. I = P / V

Current is all that matters in regard to regulators

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  20. Mau1wurf1977

Thanks that explains it :)

I ordered the FX 6300!