REVIEW AMD 7850k /Asrock Fatality FM2A88X+ Killer

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by gazza30, Feb 28, 2014.

1. gazza30

gazza30 Member

KAVERI / FM2+ SYSTEM REVIEW

[​IMG]

Got a few new toys to play with today special thanks to Asrock and AMD for the chance to toy with the new FM2+ platform and the Top end FM2+ cpu the A10 - 7850k

Lets have a quick chat about the tech The A10- 7850k brings to the table the strongest igpu we've seen to date with its R7 graphics, support for true audio, and the exciting new Mantle technology helping to reduce cpu overheads. Now there s been a lot of talk about HSA so what is it, well HSA is helping the two processing units CPU and GPU to better work together more directly at the hardware level,to lower overheads sharing data and resources between both cpu and gpu.

[​IMG]

Not surprising AMD have focussed a great deal on this as the gpu fills close to half the overall die size of new Kaveri parts so allowing cpu/gpu to work together efficiently will bring performance gains to companies and ther Apps that choose to take advantage of what HSA has to offer. HSA apps are a little thin at the moment but with some big names onboard and forming the HSA Foundation things are sure to change.

So lets check out the lineup the top dog is the 7850k followed closely by the 7700k then the A8-7600 you'll notice the first two components have a k after them meaning they have unlocked multi’s for easy overclocking

A10-7850K 4 3.7/4.0 Radeon R7 512 720 2,133 95W
    A10-7700K 4 3.4/3.8 Radeon R7 384 720 2,133 95W
    A8-7600 4 3.3/3.8 Radeon R7 384 720 2,133 65W

Next up the Asrock Fatality FM2A88X+ Killer

RRP 139 Aud

[​IMG][​IMG]

Product Specifications

The latest A88x chipset is capable of running the latest 95watt fm2+ cpu’s as well as the last gen 100 watt processors such as the A10-6800k

Support for some high mhz ddr3 out of the box should also help with gpu performance later on in testing.

[​IMG]

The bios is easy to navigate and set up was a breeze with all your overclocking needs carried out in the OC Tweaker tab. Something to note is the Configurable TDP options available in the advanced tab something quite useful to limit power usage without the need to underclock the system for further power savings. Settings of 45w ,65w and Auto are on offer although if you want the full 95w TDP you need to leave it on its Auto default.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Triple monitor support was nice to see so i set about dragging 3 1080p screen across to the test bench and plugged them in and with a few clicks in CCC all was sorted. While gaming off the igpu at this res is not going to happen it is nice to have the ability to run multi screens for other daily chores.

[​IMG]

Plenty external usb ports 8 in total off the back io plate and also 8 internal sata 3 ports. plus a mountain of internal usb options.

[​IMG]

I was keen to test sata 3 performance to see how they stack up against the competition and while still slightly behind in some areas it was able edge out the competition in the 4k read and write portion of the test hmm not bad. Got me thinking how raid 0 performance would look so i’ll come back to that and add it when i get the chance .

z87 vs A88x

[​IMG][​IMG]

All testing done at stock settings on both systems with fresh win 7 installs with a 120gb Samsung 840 pro.

Asrocks Fatality series have always added in some goodies for the gamer and the new FM2A88X+ Killer is no different in this regard. The Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200 Series Gigabit LAN is nice to see which coupled with the provided software gives the ability to set traffic priority to Apps or games of your choice to maximise bandwidth available. It can also show you upload and download bandwidth being consumed, all handy tools for getting the most out of your internet connection while gaming.
    The Fatal1ty Mouse Port of the back io panel allows you to fine tune the polling rate to your liking as well.

[​IMG]

And what good is all that without some decent sound. The Fatality FM2A88X+ Killer provides

-7.1 CH HD Audio via the Realtek ALC1150
    -Supports Purity Sound™
    -115dB SNR DAC with differential amplifier
    -TI NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier (Supports up to 600 ohm headsets)
    -Direct Drive Technology
    -EMI shielding cover
    -PCB isolate shielding
    -Supports DTS Connect

Well thats the technical talk anyway how does it sound?
    I borrowed my Trusty Sennheiser PC-350’s plugged them in and was treated to some pretty surprising sound through gaming and music listening. While not as good as a quality sound card which likely costs as much as this motherboard I think most users will be pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Next Asrocks F-stream tuning software gives you access to lots of features like fastboot , Custom Fan profiles with fan-tastic tuning, Oc tweaker tab is a must for any overclocker giving you full range to tweak speeds and voltages within windows. and Sys info tab helpfully provides just that, speed info ,temps and current voltages applied.

Lets check out some game and synthetic testing shall we i used some old and newer tests to mix it up a bit.

Test system

AMD 7850k
    Asrock Fatality FM2A88X+ Killer.
    Corsair H55 cpu cooler
    G skill trident X 2600 c10 2x4gb @1866 -2400mhz
    Corsair AX1200 (slightly overkill i know )
    2x Samsung 840 pro ssd’s 120gb (one for OS and one for sata testing)

Lets Begin all results will show stock results on the left and OC’d on the right.

BF4
    testing was done with mantle 1920x1080 all settings to medium with Antialiasing Deferred , Post and Ambient Occlusion off

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Had some stability issues with mantle on the 14.1 driver so i'll be testing the latest 14.2 to compare any improvements made stay tuned.

Crysis 3 1920x1080 all settings on low

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The onboard really struggled with crysis 3 as you can see a drop in res would be needed to play this title for any length of time unless you like migraines.

Dirt 3 1920x 1080 2x msaa with all settings on high

[​IMG][​IMG]

3D Mark 06 default settings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

W prime default settings
    12.854 stock vs 10.731 Oc'd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3D Mark 11 default performance benchmark settings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cinebench cpu test

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cinebench Open Cl test

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LuxMark 2.0 combined cpu+gpu test

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Max frequency's achieved was 4.7ghz for the cpu , 2200 for the North bridge , 2400mhz for the ram and 1100+ for the gpu. These speeds where not stable throughout all test so I compromised as Memory speed and gpu clocks where the biggest factor in gaining extra performance on this system.

In summary the Asrock Fatality FM2A88X+ Killer offers up some great features at a reasonable price easy setup and a lot of fun to overclock not once giving any grief, looks great to.

AMD's 7850k has a lot of potential through HSA development to open up some better performance but at this stage I feel the asking price of 220 Aud is a tad high considering for the same money people will be looking to intels low end i5's for around the same money although with a much weaker IGPU. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for looking i'll keep adding some more results so if you'd like to see anything tested or want to share your own results, Share away :thumbup:

2. domsmith

domsmith Member

One thing I hate with all these AMD chipsets/motherboards is they always pair them with shitty network cards.

First thing I usually do is go out and buy an intel NIC.

Would it be possible to do some testing to see if this NIC is anything different than the default realtek crap they tack on.

3. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Quite a few boards and laptops are using the Qualcomm Atheros KillerTM E2200 and its far from low end. Comparing against my 24/7 rig which uses an intel nic they where identical in both upload/ download speeds and well as having no problem saturating a gigabit connection transferring to and from my NAS.
    As for gaming BF4 in particular ping was the same and neither skipped a beat i'd be happy to find one of these in anv motherboard or laptop purchase :thumbup:

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Hey mate, nice work :thumbup:

With your overclocked 3D11 result, was the igpu overclock a result of the cpu overclock or are they seperate?

:thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

combined Aussie when the igpu is under load cpu frequency fluctuates and downclocks.

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

cpu downclocks? To manage heat or power usage? Isnt that kind of counter productive?

7. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Downclocking for TDP I believe.
    Chip seems to run quite cool I went as far as 4.7 on this little Corsair H55.
    Kaveri biggest gains are from igpu clocks and ram frequency , don't bother to much on super tight timings its all about frequency.

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

What were the highest ram clocks you tried?

9. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

Top review Gazz! :thumbup:
    Magic this FM2 gear - great value$ $/ grunt.

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Great Review Gazz.

I like the BF4 performance with Mantle..

Still wishing for lower TDP SKU's , or at least configurable TDP. Do you know if this was available in this board by any chance?

11. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Still playing but 2400 was no problem just be prepared to loosen off the timings it cant match Haswell timings at same frequencies, but then again all Kaveri needs is frequency. Next AMD APU with ddr4 will be CRAZY.

Thanks mate lots of fun to play with for sure i would like to see them a tad cheaper though.

Yes Board supports configurable tdp 100% auto setting in bios sets full power but you can also set 45w and 65w settings for further power savings.

I need to retest bf4, latest drivers are supposed to give some extra gains.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

awesome! Thanks Gazz.

might have to get hold of one in that case :Pirate:

13. STUdog

STUdog Member

Great review!

Holy, first time I've seen a Cinebench result on an AMD chip. Now I'm more happy with my score of 20 :p

14. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Cheers Stu comparing my Cinebench score with your $$$$$$$$ dual Xeon setup might be a lil unfair though hahahaha.

Nice rig!! jelly

15. STUdog

STUdog Member

Haha yea, totally agree. I have a few AMD chips and find them great for gaming and general use.

16. robbo2

robbo2 Member

Just grabbed this same setup the other day. Going to use it for light gaming on the big TV in the lounge room/media server and back up server. So far it's been very impressive! No chance to run any game benchmarks, but I will post up BF4 and such with the updated drivers soon. It's pretty messy, but clean by my usual standards :lol:

[​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

Nice one robbo system should fit the bill nicely pretty power efficient especially if you choose the low tdp option in bios for when running as a file server.

18. akromatic

akromatic Member

has anyone tried hybrid CF?

im having trouble getting mine to work, using the asrock ITX board though

the GPU is a R250 GDDR5

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  19. OP
    OP
    gazza30

gazza30 Member

No sorry I didn't have a low enough gpu to try would have been interesting though. Maybe some more details on your issue and maybe someone can help.

No option to enable dual graphics in CCC 3d application settings tab?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  20. akromatic

akromatic Member

yeh no options