1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD 870 chipset

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by loophole, Feb 11, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

So is it just the 785G running at 700MHz, like the jump from the 780G - 790GX?

And it sounds like you can't drive two digital displays from it either - from the Gigabyte site:
    "Simultaneous output for DVI-D and HDMI is not supported"

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

that'd be correct (re displays), only discrete cardsHD4650 and higher currently offer dual DVI/HDMI, and onboard is always at or around the lowest discrete ATI card in features/performance.

-edit
    As for it beng a 785G clocked to 700Mhz, I think it's almost certain, yes.

790GX = 780G @700MHz (RV610, "HD3xxx" DX10)
    880GX = 785G @ 700MHz (RV620, "HD4xxx" DX10.1)

The only reason it's not called 795GX is the new 8 series SB.

the 880G will of course follow, it's just a bit backwards this time round. Last time it was the 780G that launched before 790GX. For that matter, I think the discrete chipset series (770+790) that launched before any of them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

Okay, that makes a bit more sense now I guess. Hopefully the SB850 is as good as everyone hopes!

Yeah, you're right - the 770, 790X and 790FX all launched at the same time with Agena months before the 780G.

Speaking of the 790FX, do we know what the 890FX gives us over the 790FX?

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

If you're talking about the northbridge of 890FX, I don't think it has any new features of note. Probably manufactured on 55nm now though.

All the non-IGP 7xx NB chips are identical, just with PCI-E lanes disabled, and some features disabled at a BIOS level and / or software level (when it comes to things like BE mem profiles in Overdrive etc) So apart from posssible 55nm vs 65nm, I'd say the 3 varients willl be the same as the 7 series.

In other words, everything 8 series brings is centered around the SB really, the NB serves only to provide pci-e functionality, and that's not expected to change

5. Mr Bubbles

Mr Bubbles Member

Gigabyte's 890GX Board

Looks good except why no eSATA? I want a motherboard for a lounge pc. Do most of these amd boards support dolby digital live? If not then what do you get through the optical or coax digital out? Just PCM stereo?

6. Phido

Phido Member

ESATA is supported, its up to the mobo maker if they want internal SATA or esata ports.

The boards support almost all audio formats, but not always of HDMI (I think just 5.1/7.1 most of the time).

NB provides video. NB is just a 785G @ 700Mhz (my 785G is at 1000Mhz set in the bios). But there is nothing wrong with the 785G NB anyway (best out there IMHO). 785g got better video decoding.790GX should clock as well if not better, this IGP would be great at say 1200 or 1600Mhz. Also I note they are pushing hybrid crossfire with 5 series cards.

Sweet. Pair this board up with a 5450 and you should get something 50% faster than a single 5450. Benchmarks show ~25% increase. I hope this works with the 785G as well.

7. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

SATA performance is still below Intels...

8. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

Yeah, that's what I figured - most likely just die shrinks of the 700 series northbridges with the biggest change being that they're coupled with the new southbridges.

9. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

Yes, but at least they're an improvement over the SB7xx series. And with newer drivers and/or BIOS releases we may see slight improvements.

10. x0nt

x0nt Member

11. Mr Bubbles

Mr Bubbles Member

I want the Gigabyte board too. The Asus board is already on the MSY price list. Almost decided on this avenue but still considering the Intel GA-H57M-USB3 i5 combo alternative.

12. x0nt

x0nt Member

Well the board on the msy price list is the M4A89GTD PRO, not the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. Thus I'm not interested in it. USB3 should be standard on all new boards coming out. I'm actually surprised they've done this, seems a bit silly to me.

13. Phido

Phido Member

USB3 would be nice.

But with E-SATA becoming more popular I can see it becomming stronger with the new SATA standard.

Im sure in 6 months amd will have another south bridge that will have enhanced graphics and USB.

14. x0nt

x0nt Member

USB3 will crush esata, no question. USB3 will be the standard for connecting external drives due to its flexibility and performance. With one USB3 port you can plug in hard-drives and any other previous USB device known to man. Esata? Just hard-drives.

Esata has been around for years and it hasn't taken off. More people use USB2 drives than any other connection for hard-drives and usb is obviously is the default for every other device. The reason is, esata has specific cables, different sata modes, can affect your boot order in bios and is generally not as easy as usb2, which is just plug and play.
    Esata was supposed to have this functionality but in reality it hasn't delivered what Joe Blow wants. And that is to plug his drive in and watch it pop straight up ready to go.

USB3 brings the USB speed up to a competitive level and with the ease of use mentioned above, it's hard to bet against.

15. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Esata is like external scsi - it sort of made sense when the multipurpose alternatives (RS232, parallel) were too slow, but now it doesn't.

16. gibbz

gibbz Member

anyone know when the GA-890GPA-UD3H will be available in msy?

17. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

I just downloaded the price list and it's on there for $189. Not sure which stores have it in stock though...

18. antigravity

antigravity Member