AMD 965 C3 on LN2 @ 6667MHz with 1M SuperPi W.R. to go (Giga 790FXTA-UD5 +Corsairs)

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dinos22

dinos22 Member

....here we go first LN2 session is over 10L got chewed up and now I got some idea of the clocks and how this beast behaves......... :D

This is very exciting.....going back to AMD and all....I am now hooked :D

These CPUs love cold it's amazing......container chock a block full of Ln2 and it's crying for me heheh.... I was literally battling this F1EE to get some ok speeds out of the chip but for longer tests like 8M or 32M it was already evident that i may need to start looking for a better tuned CPU pot for these.......I did some pretesting on air and SS so i knew roughly what the RAM and board could do. I was planning on benching the Asus Crosshair 3 as well but as luck would have it the board died.....SADS or something else...who knows, i just wish i could at least try it on LN2 lol before it bitched out lol

Anyways here's the test setup and some piccies :)

Test Configuration:
    • GIGABYTE 790FXTA-UD5 F2 official bios
    • AMD X4 965 Black Edition C3 week 44 retail
    • F1EE CPU pot
    • Corsair Dominator GTX 2250 DDR3 2GB modules
    • PCIe nvidia 8400GS
    • 1200W Antec Quattro OC Edition PSU
    • 300GB Velociraptor
    • Windows 2003 Server

Giga is very fast in 1M. It trails a bit in 32M so gotta work some more on it i think...just as well as i couldnt get speeds i was happy with anyways heh...could be teething issues with new board/bioses i donno but once i get it strapped to a better pot i'll do some proper 32M too :) .... best part is it's still alive w00t lol :lol:

I wont have much time to do more LN2 testing until i fly out to Adelaide to bench together with my good friend youngpro mid January.....we are going to rape this CPU hard lol :lol: and my priority is superpi first and then whatever else ppl want to see at the event we are doing :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evil chip heheh

[​IMG]

...stay tuned :thumbup::leet:

2. Djuice

Djuice Member

Heh, equal first on 1m SuperPi?

Just need another few Mhz !!!

Good work.

3. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeap
    im going to adelaide for Valhalla gaming event where youngpro and I will have an OC stand and one of the setups will be AMD........we'll try break the 10 second barrier which seems impossible so far hehehe :thumbup:

4. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Nice stuff dino :thumbup:
    U given 3d a go yet with that chip?

5. bob(nz)

bob(nz) Member

+1 Nice work Dino :thumbup:

I hope you got some cards for a 3D workout also :leet:

Any coldboot / bug with these CPU's?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Great stuff dino..

single didgt AMD Pi has to be close :cool:

7. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

cheers mate

none mate....crazy shit :D

thanks man i knew you'd like it :thumbup:

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

hehe, I calculate another 120-150Mhz and you'll get into 9's :p

..Assuming it's as efficient as can be, which is prettymuch a given!

9. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

i need the CPU at 6750 ;) :thumbup:

10. Team.AU

Team.AU Member

well done dino thats great, we knew that was a good pi chip,

and apparantly i have the good 3d chip, the pcmark killa ;)

we got plenty of time at reloaded to play with this stuff..

11. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

Fuck yeah. :thumbup:

You guys represent us aussies on the overclocking seen so well. :thumbup:

12. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

13. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah this is an AMD W.R. of course .. in fact this is a matched AMD W.R. to a russian score with much higher CPU frequency...... :)

Intel CPUs are waaaaaay faster so completely different story

14. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

F1OC is over.... just noticed the site updated with scores. Some mixed emotions about this competition to be honest...it really lost it's "charm" for me after XS pulled the plug but with all the fighting and BS i dont blame Charles for doing that

Here is my final score for F1OC 8M SuperPi round and a W.R. for AMD CPUs :)

I disabled a couple of cores in CPUz....it went a bit funny lol! It didnt help me with frequency but i did get a slightly better wazza and gained another 0.3s so that worked out well i guess :)

This was my second session and i changed over to my gold pot......this was a first "proper" test for this pot hence i decided to install the probe etc. For those who haven't seen much of it i made a quick video a while back when good people from Thermolab made me and a few other overclockers a custom gold(plated)en LN2 pot heh > YOUTUBE VIDEO..........it held the cpu nicer than F1EE but i still need that Venom strapped to it, i reckon, to try and nail some 32M runs between 6555-6600......from what i saw, so far, it's going to be very nice fellas :D

Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 board is really very very good so far. It's held up to some serious torture and water all over it......efficiency was there i cant complain ...just gotta work out now how to setup Gigabyte EasyTune on my SuperPi OS as i had to revert to my "all round testing OS" for final results :)

R.I.P. to one of my Corsair Dominator GTX sticks...in fact my BEST stick was lost in first bench session...not realising until i tried on the second session :(:(. The ONLY thing i can think of is condensation but i still don't know how as i packed the shit out of vdimm slots with vaseline.....CPU pot is a bit too close to dimm slots on AMD boards so running -187C for hours will eventually freeze a large area around the board too as anyone benching AMD would know i guess :)

These Corsair Dominator GTX 2250 sticks are MONSTERS......For the final benching session with 936MHz 6-6-6-18-1T andn 4680MHz NB i only use 1.7vdimm (DMM measured) :D :eek::eek: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  15. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

[​IMG]

I had a few sessions with AMD now since F1OC thread > http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242063 and throught i'd fire it up once more to use some left over LN2 and see what i can do about a new challenge from Gyrock-san :up:

tightened the subs, increased the clocks and she was flyin' :D to a new 1M SuperPi AMD W.R. :)

Test Configuration:
    • GIGABYTE 790FXTA-UD5 F2 official bios
    • AMD X4 965 Black Edition C3 week 44 retail
    • Thermolab custom gold "dinos22" CPU pot
    • Corsair Dominator GTX 2250 DDR3 2GB modules (940MHz 6-6-6-18T-1T 1.7vdimm)
    • PCIe nvidia 8400GS
    • 1200W Antec Quattro OC Edition PSU
    • 300GB Velociraptor
    • Windows 2003 Server 110MB ISO Superlight

[​IMG]

setup photo from previous session heh :)

[​IMG]

32M will have to wait as both my pots for some reason cant hold the temps to even to 6.45GHz runs... beats me heh :shrug:....times look great even at 6.52GHz ;)

i installed the second probe on CPU IHS.....very useful info and in fact thats all i was looking at throught the bench session.... :D ..........i've noticed a point at which i get the crashes..........my IHS temp was 173.9-174.4C idle and it drops to low 173C for Pi..............................at some point it will drop hard by to 172 and crash...........happened even in 1M at times.........but mainly 32M sometimes at start and sometimes down to loop 5.....bottom of pot was at -187.4C idle and -186.5C load in Pi

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  16. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Well done dino.....
    May i ask wat ln2 pot that is?

17. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

Hi mate

This is a pot Thermolab from Korea made me as a gift last year......gold plated copper...heavy bastard

18. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Nice, it looks awsome....... Keep up the great results :thumbup:

19. LiNERROR

LiNERROR Member

i'm just amazed it took so much for that cpu to break 9s... my i7 920 at 4.531 pulls 8.939s for a 1M run on air...
    [​IMG]

20. n2p4u

n2p4u Member

pi is an intel optimised benchy...