1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD AM4 NAS/comput platform

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Phido, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Phido

Phido Member

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1545...570-motherboard-with-intels-10-gbe-controller
    https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications

This looks like a very powerful NAS/Server/compute platform.
    • AMD AM4 socket up to 16 core processors
    • 4xDdr4 sodim sockets - ECC supported
    • PCI-E 4.0 supported
    • PCI-E x16 support bifircuiation
    • PCI-E x4 NVME
    • 8xSATA
    • 2x10Gb Intel networking
    • 1x1Gb network
    • USB3
    VGA port is only for monitoring/2D. So no gaming on this. No audio. Don't envision this as a desktop/gaming platform.

Wow a little rocket ship. Heck of a lot of bandwidth..

Network transfers happening at 2500Mb/s would be pretty impressive. Your network speed would essentially be as fast as a good PCIe4 SSD. I would imagine for any computer/render tasks, it would be fast enough to do it straight off and on the network.

As a NAS unit, 8 x 16TB SATA (128TB?!), with a ~1Tb SSD as boot + cache.
    Peaking max sustain transfer across all HD would give around 2000Mb/s, so it has enough network capability to fit that. The PCIE 4 backbone should be fast enough to ensure there is no real bottlenecks in that.

2. Malakai

Malakai Member

Yep pretty cool, Gamers Nexus and Level1Techs did a build not long ago with a similar X470 board.

3. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Didn't see that one before, although that is a matx board, the mitx size would probably fit into a lot more cases.

4. akromatic

akromatic Member

looks nice, my only issue with AMD is that their higher end CPUs does not have some graphics option which means for itx platform that 16x slot is now wasted for a GPU and if you require that slot for a HBA or something else then you are forced to get a APU with far less CPU cores

5. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

It comes with the aspeed VGA, so you don't need to use a gpu. It would make a terrible desktop, but a fine nas/comput thing.
    Ideally you would pair this with a 6/8/12/16 core Ryzen 3000. Some sort of commercial grade PCIE4 ssd.

Apparently the x470 matx version costs about 300 euro.

But PCIE4 really opens up the bandwidth on this. And its a smaller formfactor.

(removed quote of deleted post)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2020
  6. akromatic

akromatic Member

This is the only exception so far. But what i meant was for itx in general.

I wonder what is the cost for this.....might be able to justify it when paired with a cheapish ryzen 1700 or go all out with 16 cores as a vm/storage sever.

I got no issues with sodimm or not. Ram is ram as long as there is no quantity demerits and happy to use sodimm if it means i can get at least 64gb worth.

7. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Its a x570 board, so will only take new ryzen CPU's.
    I don't mind sodimm, its pretty avalible now, and for a server/NAS, ram speed isn't an issue. and you have four slots.

I agree its going to be expensive as hell.. probably $500+ au for it landed here in Oz. Still I could see it going into a pretty hard core proper server setup.

however, I am toying with a AM4 home rolled NAS. Ryzen 1200 are pretty cheap ($100), AM4 matx or itx boards can now be had pretty cheap($100) both support ECC. A Matx board could easily be upgraded to 10Gb network and give basically all the same features.

Apparently you can get a aspeed NVME graphics card...

8. akromatic

akromatic Member

I though x570 is backwards compatible with 1st gen ryzen. Just not a series apu

9. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Apparently not.
    [​IMG]

And the Ryzen 2000 support is pretty spotty too on x570.. I guess if your buying a $500 board, they figure a new cpu is probably going in as well.

10. akromatic

akromatic Member

well ether way there are plenty of used cheap CPUs that i can throw on this.

for the duties this would run there is very little benefit over 2nd gen ryzen besides the extra cores

11. d-Z1R3

d-Z1R3 Member

currently using a Ryzen 5 2600 as a my NAS server running unraid, and i can't complain. Plex works well with no Nvidia transcode for up to 5 clients.

12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Remember the pcie slot shares with a bunch of the sata ports.

13. Happykillmore

Happykillmore Member

Looks like $709.50 @ WISP
    https://wisp.net.au/asrock-rack-x570d4i-2t.html

Definitely an interesting board, would make a great esxi box, 32GB sodimm aren't cheap though :(. Would love to put 128gb of memory with a 3950x.

Phido likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

The x16 PCIE slots come straight from the CPU.

The chipset sits on PCI-E 4.0. I don't think bandwidth will be a problem for this Mitx board.

15. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i'm pretty darn sure i saw a block diagram for this board somewhere which showed a switch between some of the sata ports and the 4x pcie slot.

But it would be good if I was wrong :p

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  16. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

[​IMG]

The 16x PCIE is from the CPU as is the 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1. Some of the other slots hang off the PCH on ATX boards. The 6 sata hang off the same 4 PCIE lanes, but as I said, its all PCIE4 now, so much less of a bottle neck.

17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i need to find the block diagram i saw.

edit: it may have been an early diagram now removed which is why i can't seem to find it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020