1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD announces $1.2-billion loss, appoints Dirk Meyer as CEO!

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

lol yeah it just makes me laugh when the amd 'defenders' jump in because they get all antsy when someone points out the blatently obvious (intels tech is currently better).

ok i guess there may be one of two other threads covering this so i'll leave it at that :p

2. groovinator

groovinator Member

If they make cpus like the old athlon cpus i'll be happy. they were cheap, and excellent for gaming. i do hope they pull their act together again, because there needs to be competition!

3. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Yeah cheap and easily overclockable. I'd like that.

I have to admit though, intel have the cpu & chipset market in their hands at the moment. C2D's are excellent and intels 45/48 chipset series are also very good.

Having said that, Ati/AMD's got the better value gpu's at the moment. I'll end up running two of them in my intel x48 board, ironically due to intel supporting crossfire. I suspect the HD48XX series will sustain AMD, a little at least.

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Who cares if AMD doesn't have the better tech of the two companies. Having them in the market is crucial. If they go Intel have open reign and the prices will climb the the quality will go down.

5. Pianist

Pianist Member

Why are they losing so much, I mean their gpus sell well, they make graphics for wiis which are kicking ass, that supercomputer has like 7000 opteron processors, theres 7000 sales right there lol. Come on amd make some CASH

6. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

To be fair, what were the projections for this quarter? If they were projecting a 500mil loss and only lost $350mil then that's a win. It's still bad but not as bad as it may seem. And honestly the doom and gloom is a little premature. It's worse for AMD because they don't have much more capital but lets not forget that they ruled the early part of the multicore generation (pentium D vs x2's). Now they've also starting to see the benefits of the ATi acquisition, which at least theoretically give them two income streams. They just have to realistically break even with processors this generation as the gfx card division should see some serious profit if the response to the 4000 series is as favorable as it sounds. I still think they've got plenty of life in them and someone in the worst case scenario will pickup the R&D team and the branding.

7. E=MC2

E=MC2 Member

Seems some miss the "tiny" acquisition of ATI and all profits from those cards made under license, several others based in China now also AMD owned including Saphire and Powercolour, made by the TUL corporation and your dollar goes to AMD.

I doubt next year will show any loss, now go buy those radeon cards, and maybe the AMD cpu will be even cheaper.

8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

If their Linux video drivers matched it with nvidias then I'd be using ATI graphics, but unfortunately...

9. MAdMungo

MAdMungo Member

Must say I now give AMD a better chance of being here in 2010 now that hector is gone. He always comes to a company when it is doing good/great and leaves after he has f**ked it up with his incompetent management style. Point in case Motorola CPU division.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

As long as AMD has a steady supply of cash, they SHOULD be profitable again in the next few quarters. The switch to 45mn production should increase their margins quite a bit, and they are looking pretty good in the video department too. If Deneb clocks well, then they will be firing again...

However if the cash runs out...

11. von.Gunst

von.Gunst Member

As I see it, there's a small silver lining in this cloud - the antitrust lawsuit(s). Sure, they're doing bad, but it lends credence to their argument in court - that Intel screwed them by abusing its monopoly a decade ago, and that they're suffering now because of it. Who knows, if they win there might be a bigger bag of gold waiting for them. And a leprechaun.

12. Chris_S

Chris_S Member

This is symbolically the best news I've heard from AMD this year. :thumbup:

Kudos to JumpingJack at XS forums linking to this transcript.

Some interesting and strong hints about asset light and we should see Shangai/Deneb by November. Apparently they still have 1.5 billion cash in the kitty, how long that lasts is another question though, no mention of Bulldozer....

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  13. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

What exactly does that have to do with their current lineup? Their existence has certainly helped development, but it's irrelevant to the discussion of the worth of their current products.

It's not like intel make their money from selling faster chips than what people already have or anything :rolleyes:. The whole "we'd be up the creek without AMD" attitude is one based on ignoring that rather significant fact. AMD certainly help drive competition, but the reality of the matter is that intel's own install base is just as significant a competitor.

Features like what? You do realise that different motherboards and chipsets from each manufacturer provide different capabilities, aye?

Of course there are, but that doesn't change the fact that right now AMD's mid-high range is rather lackluster.

You seem to have not noticed that I actually mentioned that their low end stuff was rather good.

14. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Um, no. Please refer here:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/577

$70USD sees the x2 4600+ > E2XXX series. Care to revise that statement? The only way the Intel processors win in the cheapy end of the market is overclocking - and that generally isn't what people are looking for at the low-end (after all, a decent OC requires some good cooling hardware and, more importantly, a much more expensive mobo).

15. bangmango

bangmango Member

AMD have manage to stabalised/maintain cpu sales,even though prices are on the "low side"..still,keeping customers is important,consider the offering from Intel,I am surprised that AMD is still with us..
    Getting rid of Hector is a long overdue move..the lamer is going to go out very rich too..:thumbdn:

16. feistl

feistl Member

Plus add to that, AMD motherboards are generally cheaper and offer much better features at teh same price point.

Ive built a few systems with the X2 4600+.... Damn good CPU. Best value for money in the low end, without a doubt.

17. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

Jerry Sanders must be pissed off if you ask me....

18. bangmango

bangmango Member

Only thing that might save Hector reputations will be the court actions going on against Intel..a long and drawn out process...If AMD wins..

19. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

If AMD wins the only that's going to happen is Intel will be fined, and that'll be like the fines that Microsoft copped, it's a slight hitch, nothing to do much damage.

I'm not placing too much hope on Deneb, I'm sure it'll be nice, but it seems that pretty much everyone "in the know" expects Nehalem to be pretty awesome, and it sure looks that way on paper.

All AMD needs to do is stay in the game until their GPU/CPU "Fusion" products come out, because that is a niche that no-one else can fill, and that's when I personally expect to see them kick some arse.

I wouldn't say I'm a fanboi, but I'm definitely biased towards AMD because it seems to me like they take more risks with their design, but this is from my laymans perspective. Intel are still number one by a long shot, and hey they've been doing it for 40 years so they should be pretty friggin good.

20. bangmango

bangmango Member

Yeah ..Fusion should be a nice "stone in the sling" for AMD in the David Vs Intel..I am sure that AMD have something that will do them some good,after all ,ATI people did have some brains working there...they have been cooking for a few years now..