1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD announces $1.2-billion loss, appoints Dirk Meyer as CEO!

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

There are some benchmarks on Nehalem from reputable sources (like Anandtech). It's very likely to be a very quick CPU (significantly quicker than a Core 2 Duo, clock-for-clock, and therefore much quicker than anything AMD has released so far).

AMD's big problem seems to be that their CPUs cost too much to make. They can't release a low-end dual-core because they'd be losing money - but that just means that they're putting single-cores up against Intel's dual-cores (Celeron E1200 and E1400). The 780G chipset would be a huge bonus for AMD in the low-end market, except that all the boards cost $80+ (while cheap Intel i945GC boards cost $45). You end up deciding between a 780G and a Sempron LE-1100 or an i945GC and a Pentium Dual Core E2180. Given the choice, I'd go for the Intel option.

Even the X2 4600+ (which is one of the few AMD CPUs that can really compete well with Intel's offerings) isn't much faster than the Intel offerings (and cheap i945GC boards cost less than cheap AMD boards, reducing the price difference further). Intel's brand name is still powerful enough to persuade people to buy the slightly slower Intel systems.

Hopefully Fusion will allow AMD to make a reasonably fast low-end CPU/GPU combination for a good price. Intel still doesn't have any decent IGPs (even with Nvidia's ones), and none of the current IGPs offer video decoding. If AMD can take advantage of that then they may well have a winner.

2. bangmango

bangmango Member

AMD just don't have the capacities to produce "great' volumn of any type,thats one of the real probs..Yeah the 780G /790 should be making a lot more noise...

3. Chris_S

Chris_S Member

That may be very dependent on workload though, we still haven't seen any gaming benchmarks leaked which makes me wonder why. Deneb is obviously going to be more competative against the Core2 generation than Barcelona ever was and till benchmarks prove otherwise I'm a little doubtfull a typical home user workload is gong to take much advantage of Nehalem. I'm sure though once Nehalem does hit all the review sites will adapt their benchmark suites to prove why we all need to upgrade, they do love a screaming and glamorous headline.

Aren't the L3 cacheless quads and tri-cores designed for this market?

4. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

This in comparison to what I read earlier

"You would be absolutely crazy to buy AMD these days" - fellow ocauer.

I'm not so sure.

5. PLooB

PLooB Member

The last 2 years I think Intel had dominated AMD with their E series etc. I not too sure about current processors but I remember ages ago that barcelona was going to bring AMD back, but that probably never happened..

AMD needs a new chip that totally blows Intel away in exactly the same way Intel did 2 years ago.

6. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

With Intel more focused and with a bigger R&D budget than ever?

7. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Couldn't agree more. If I mention AMD when talking about computers, I often have to say "oh, you know Intel, right? AMD is their only real competitor in the consumer market", otherwise people (as in the general computer-using public, not enthusiasts like us) have no idea who you're talking about. That little musical jingle that they've got OEM's to embrace (for benefits no doubt), is horribly annoying, but a great marketing ploy.

Yeah but it comes back to their marketing team, they just don't seem to have the resources at the moment. The 780G platform looks excellent, there really isn't anything out there that competes with it, and 790G should widen the gap. Unfortunately in this industry it seems like it's almost irrelevant how great your product is if no-one knows about it.

That's certainly true, though to be fair they were doing the same thing when the P4 was upset by AMD, when in reality the P4 wasn't all that far behind, and even excelled in certain tasks such as media encoding. Similarly, on a clock-for-clock basis, a 2.5Ghz 9850BE doesn't exactly get crushed by a 2.4GHz Q6600, benchmarks seem to go either way (100MHz difference isn't really much). The major difference is in overclockability, which is really a pretty small section of the market.

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

You can still get cheap and cheerfull AMD boards though, (i.e nf430) which are a perfectly good alternative to an I945.

As for 780G, HD copntent aside, you really have to compare a 945 /G31 board with a 780G board in things like vista aero, google earth etc to see why a significantly (massivly) better IGP has it's advantagtes when paired witha budget CPU.. The problem AMD seem to have is making the public realise this.. their marketing sucks balls.

9. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

I think what is hurting AMD is their lack of competitiveness in the mobile market. Let's face it, laptops are becoming more and more popular, and you could argue that there are higher margins in mobile parts than in desktop ones.

I've run AMD in this house for a long time (and still run AMD on two computers), but my laptop runs an Intel (as did the desktop it replaced).

10. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

I run an AMD laptop :D

was hard to find, but I found one when I was looking

11. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

And in the same era, a highly clocked barton was better than an Extreme Edition Pentium.

In reality a 2GHz A64 was better than a 3.2GHz Northwood. Prescott was a joke.

I have a Q6600 in my machine right now, but I will be pushing 5200+ etc for budget machines I build.

12. SLATYE

One of the reviews mentioned that the current X58 chipset has serious PCIe issues, and that was why they were unable to do gaming benchmarks.

I fully agree that Nehalem isn't going to be needed for home users - but Intel's very good at making people believe that a new CPU is absolutely essential.

I'm not sure. I would have thought that they'd be aimed a bit higher (it seems odd to have low-end quad-cores and tri-cores, but no low-end dual-cores).

Even the cheap NF430 boards seem to cost a little bit more. It may only be ~$10, but that can make a difference with super-cheap systems (the A64 LE-1600 is only $5 more than the Sempron LE-1200 at MSY).

I agree completely. Intel's managed to persuade everyone that a dual-core is now essential in a new system - but for many home users, a single-core A64 combined with a 780G board would actually be more suitable than a Celeron E1200 and an i945GC. AMD has completely failed to persuade people that their single-core CPUs are still perfectly adequate; and they haven't even tried to advertise the advantages of the 780G.

Unfortunately it's much easier to compare CPUs than GPUs; any customer can say "Intel = 2x 1.4GHz = 2.8GHz; AMD = 1x 2GHz = 2GHz; therefore Intel is faster" but they don't even understand what a GPU is used for (and they don't want to learn).

13. bangmango

bangmango Member

Like the "color of money"..Its all in the way that you use it,AMD should take on Intel right now with The 780G....some "creative" adds..maybe hire on the Apples crew...lol

14. SLATYE

I just realised while designing a system that it's actually cheaper to buy a G31M-S2L and a HD 2400 Pro than to just buy a 780G board (if you buy from MSY, anyway). This is a problem for AMD, since the HD 2400 Pro is much the same speed as the HD 3200. From MSY the difference is $13 ($86 versus $99), which means that if the AMD system uses a Sempron LE-1100 then the Intel one can use a Celeron Dual Core E1200 and still be a tiny bit cheaper.

If you go further and get an i945GC board instead of the G31M-S2L then the Intel mainboard + GPU is $30 less than a 780G board; at that price you can just about get a Pentium Dual Core into the Intel system.

Given that choice, it'd be pretty hard to recommend the AMD option unless you actually needed a low-profile system.

15. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

i just upgraded my mce machine from a 945 to an amd 780g and its shit!
    worst purchase ever!, drivers are so fucking buggy!

I hate it.

16. bangmango

bangmango Member

Whats was the problems..?

17. Ghost of Lauda

Ghost of Lauda Member

Even if AMD win the antitrust lawsuit, they don't get a penny of any fines Intel is hit with.

18. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

unless it's damage compensation....

19. Mensuri

Mensuri Member

but even if Intel get fined say - in 18 months time. It'd take another 2 years or so of appeals etc for any compensation to go AMD's way - thats almost 4 years they must survive for. I certainly wouldn't be counting on it

20. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

AMD isn't going to collapse. They'll just downsize if they can't keep up the sales/profit, fill a niche market, like Via.