AMD as a daily pc (convert me)

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by aussie-revhead, Mar 27, 2020.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I have my gaming rig and I want to throw together a basic (but fast) backup rig so I can unload my browsing chores from the gamer. I was going to get a little Skylake rig together but for a little more than old Intel hardware I can tinker with a newer AMD rig but I haven't owned an AMD in many years and my concern is stability / ease of use. I see a lot of ram issues with AMD and tweaking of settings to get stability, so what is a good combo for an AMD noob to get started? I have seen a few 2600's for sale so Im guessing just about any B450 mobo would be fine but what rams do they like? Are the ram/stability issues only in chasing max ram speeds?

Any advice would be great.

:D :D

2. Jazz

Jazz Member

Aussie, after years of Intel I moved to a 3900 and aorus master at Christmas. Initially I faffed around with cheap E die sticks, ballistix and corsair. Corsair might have been something else. After a couple of weeks of regular tweaking I went to some b die 4000. Had issues with 4 sticks at 4000, but it is sitting at tight 3600 timings, close enough to the sweet spot for me

3. neRok

neRok Member

2600 means you will need a discrete GPU. I would be looking at 3400G, or lower. Get mITX, stick it in a tiny quiet case, and you be laughing. But then, waiting for the 4000 series chips would probably be a smart idea.

But TBH, youre probably better off just going on gumtree and getting something old for ~$50. It doesn't take a lot of power to open webpages and watch videos. Any hardware this side of 2010 should handle that.

Something small and tinker-able like a raspbery pi might be good too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. chook

chook Member

Daily driver?

Get one of those cheap 2600's, grab a B450 motherboard. Spend a bit more on the motherboard because you saved on the CPU. Grab some cheap 3200 RAM of your preference, I got a 32GB kit of Ballistix and just set the XMP on plus upped the frequency to 3600 and it is working better than as expected. The caveat here is that my CPU is 3000 series and it has a better memory controller than the 2000 series. That isn't to say the 2000 series is bad, the 3000 series is just better. In the 2000 series CPU's you can't independently set the Infinity Fabric so a lower RAM frequency means a lower IF frequency. That has a direct impact on performance. If all you want to do is browse the web (as you claim *notes benching rig in signature* :p), then that isn't going to matter.

5. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thanks boys, I am a tab collector, I have many tabs open and this strains things, so I don't think a Pi would cut it and I don't even want to look at a quad core with so many better options available. I could adapt my habits but I would prefer to buy the gear that suits my needs.

3000 series sounds good but yeah a 2600 seems like a bargain.

:D

6. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Good luck getting any stock of a 3400G!! I've built 2 in recent weeks, but had to resort to FB marketplace for 1 of them (lucky find!) because PC stores just don't have them in stock atm and had no ETA last I checked. I also have just built a 3200G based one due to the lack of 3400Gs, and even stock for them are getting quite low now...

7. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Or a 1600AF.

Ostensibly a 2600 but on 12nm. In current production.

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I got a notebook as my second PC. If its just for browsing and as a backup in case the gaming rig fails then a notebook would be more than powerful enough + you get a built in UPS, portability for going on holiday ect.

if you want a desktop Ryzen systems are just as stable as Intel , 1st gen was a bit iffy to start with but was smoothed over in the first 6 month. Overclocking is not great (CPU or Ram) but for a daily driver neither are really important and in many cases you get just as much performance (for the cost) out of a stock Ryzen system as you do an OCed Intel one (Gaming Intel is still king if you are looking exclusively at 8 Thread plus parts with a high end GPU).

9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

2400g 3400g or 1600af
    Does it need a grfx card as a backup pc ?
    The af is a steal for the rrp

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

If going cheap
    Ryzen 1600AF,
    Asrock B450M-Pro4-F
    Klevv 2x8gb 16gb

Put this altogether about a week ago.. (mostly from scorptec)
    Prices have jumped up in the last few days...

else the Mortar max B450M and the Ryzen 3600 if you want to spend a little more..

Occasionally few weird odd bugs. with AMD gear, nothing and bit of time and effort cant sort out..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  11. RnR

RnR Member

Adapt your habits... with a personal wiki ie Zim or https://notion.so :)

12. asho444

asho444 Member

Wololo Wololo Wololo Wololo Wololo

13. RnR

RnR Member

Take a look at Northgard if you tire of AoE :)

14. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

No :D :D :D

Will the igp option handle many many tabs? My 2080Ti doesnt even like it sometimes.

If so then a 3400G in an Inwin tiny case would be nice (I like tiny builds)

:Pirate:

15. RnR

RnR Member

How about multiple profiles? You can still have your browser tabs, but now they are mostly dormant in various subject oriented profiles. I do this a bit with firefox, and have the about : profiles tab pinned in every one, so I can quickly launch another profile. My default profile is my 'Social' one in which the ocau tab resides, amongst a handful of others. Makes it easy to close down distractions when I want to focus on something else :)

My fear is that you are only one crash away from losing tabs. Browse safely :D

16. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Interesting, I will look into it, cheers.

So are you saying I dont need much cpu/gpu to run this way?

:)

17. RnR

RnR Member

My daily driver is a dual core Ivy Bridge 16gb ssd 12.5" hp lappy using linux :)

Max tabs would be 30 or so. But I also run Zim locally so don't have all links opened in tabs in a subject oriented profile.

Anything from the last year would pwn it :D