AMD Fusion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Polski Radon, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Polski Radon

Polski Radon Member

With the completion of AMD's acquisition of ATi, there have been new reports of new plans by AMD to intigrate the GPU into the CPU, bypassing the chipset. The current timeframe for this fusion is 2008/2009.

This will be great for low-end and OEM machines because of the lower amount of subcomponents on the motherboard, therefore lower cost, but in my opinion, this is not a viable option for the high-end, due to the high transistor counts for the current high end as well as the relatively higher turnover of GPU's over the lifecycle of a microprocessor.

Is AMD going to be the predominant player in the low/middle end of the computer industry?

2. stmok

stmok Member

Yeah, a shift from IGPs. I guess chipsets will be simplified and cheaper?

OT: LOL...
    Try this on your browser: www.ati.com
    And you'll get this: ati.amd.com

ATI has turned green! :lol:

3. mercho

mercho Member

lol..once you select something like crossfire though, you get the good old ATI red back :lol:

4. joyufat

joyufat Member

I doubt it, Intel is pretty dominant in the integrated graphics sector and this "fusion" concept is completely unproven. They need to demonstrate why having a GPU integrated in the CPU is better than having it integrated in the motherboard.

5. fr33lanc3r

fr33lanc3r Member

will be intresting to see what effects this has on the market in a few years time

6. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

well i do hope this brings about parity between AMD and intel, and boosts AMDs sales of IGPs which is where the big bucks are, thereby building AMD's competitivbe positioning.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, the new ATi website just took me by surprise......heh

Thought I'd hit the wrong bookmark!

8. OP
    OP
    Polski Radon

Polski Radon Member

AMD's stock price rose 3.22% just yesterday, time to sell some of my stock :).

What I only foresee is AMD leaving the high-end FX line with on-die PCI Express controller and leaving the GPU as a stand alone card (or connect the GPU directly via HT). Having the latest Dx10 graphics cards from nVidia spotting 700 million transistors at 1.2GHz, it would be mad for AMD to include such a beast with the CPU. They could shave some of those off by running the graphics component running in synch with the CPU, which should be at least 2.5GHz at 65nm.

What I would really like to see is AMD doing something like Intel is planning, that is having 80 mini cores on the die, but making most of those cores FPGA, giving the CPU all the performance when it requires, and then changing to a mixture of GPU's anf PPU's for games etc.

9. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I agree with what Polski Radon said - AMD is very unlikely to try a high-end GPU and CPU combination. Rumours suggest that R600 will manage about 200w; add a dual-core or quad-core CPU and that turns into 300w. 300w is a lot of power to deal with through one heatsink.

If AMD can make a cheap CPU/GPU cost less than Intel's Celeron/IGP combo then they'll probably do well in the low-end market. Whether AMD can actually do that is another question.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  10. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

In their press release at the time they mentioned that this was slated for 2008.

I can forsee cheap 3D (read: OS uses only ie. Vista) machines in the near future with both CPU and GPU on the one unit.

If they were to scale down the 3D power just so that it was enough for common tasks and not gaming, put it on a micro-ATX board, add a small (cheap) flash based storgae system.....

i can see uses for nodes like that :)

11. <pRo>ToSs

<pRo>ToSs Member

hell even for HTPC usage, that should be fine! It'd be great if they can pull it off :cool:

12. iAl3xi

iAl3xi (Banned or Deleted)

they should have most of it onboard and have it so u change out the GPU like when u change a cpu :D

EDIT:miss spelled CPU as "cup"

13. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

Ehh??

I dont know about you, but i tend to change GPU more often than CPU.

I dont want to have to pay a few hundred for something thats not really much better than what i had if i dont have to!

EDIT: unless i misread and you meant having a GPU like we currently have a CPU. like just a chip replacement rather than a card???

It's possible... although itd be interesting when it comes to memory speed/bandwidth my DDR dual channel is 128bit memory, the G80 has 384bit memory. HUGE difference

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  14. laleo

laleo New Member

Everyone talks about the GPU being merged with the CPU. What about a graphics card with a full CPU on it?

15. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

In addition to that, GPUs use RAM at 2Ghz+ while most desktops use 800Mhz at most.

You can't put the main CPU on the graphics card - there needs to be something to organise data going to/from the RAM/PCIe/IO (and that won't work very well if the CPU in on the video card). There'd also be rather large latencies and limited RAM bandwidth if the CPU had to access the system RAM through the PCIe bus.

Putting a 'secondary' CPU on the GPU is already happening. GPUs are getting better at general-purpose work, with the result that Folding@Home now runs very nicely on ATI's X1900 series of GPUs. Of course, they're only good at some things - but why bother to put a pure general-purpose CPU on the GPU when you've already got a perfectly good general-purpose CPU on the mainboard?

16. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

You beat me by a coupla hours Chris :p

I was gonna reply saying that the first thing i can see happening is having the CPU talk direct to the GPU using a HT link. (like the transition of the memory controller to be 'on die')

One would imagine that for the lower end parts theres more than enough bandwidth to do that already with HT 1.0 tech, whereas the newer GPU's would probably need an extra link or three in HT 2.0.

17. iAl3xi

iAl3xi (Banned or Deleted)

yeah thats what i was trying to say :p

18. Ze.

Ze. Member

Modern graphics cards have already exceeded that bandwidth in the middle and high end markets.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_Graphics_Processing_Units#GeForce_7_series
    It's an interesting option but i don't know practical it would be :) an alternative in the short term would be a GDDR memory controller integerated on to the CPU/GPU for the higher specification parts. In the longer term we could see a consolidation of system and graphics memory towards the same standard. If that happens then we are likely to see the age of DIMMs end and memory going back to being soldered on the motherboard.

It'll start out in the low end and media appliance sectors and gradually move upwards. I think the home computer market is moving towards an integrated appliance as the way of the future.

19. nitestick

nitestick Member

personally i think the solution to the potential uprade issues of a CPU integrated GPU would be solved if they would stop being slack in their coding of games :p. how is it people can playe 1-2 year old games (e.g. FarCry, HL2, F.E.A.R) and have high settings that look awesome and then pick up a game of the shelves today and have to play at bare minimum which looks god awful? lazy programmers <_<

more so what i think will come of the merger is that AMD may adapt some GPU technologies for use on their CPUs. perhaps a little more process paralelism, it's just i can see a fusion of AMD and ATI technologies as yielding a number crunching monster. they could probably then usurp Intel's position as top dog in number crunching and scientific use.

20. zpnq

zpnq Member

it could be done in a dual socket manner, where you have a motherboard similar to todays dual cpu motherboards, but the second cpu socket is acualy a gpu socket.
    This would mean you can upgrade the graphics component or your cpu component indapendantly. It would also deal with the extra heat issues.