AMD hiring engineers with ARM experience

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by loophole, May 1, 2012.

1. loophole

loophole Member

I just came across this job post at AMD for a Technical Architect:
    Technical Architect: AMD - Various (TX, CA, MA, or CO) (San Francisco Bay Area)

and thought it was interesting because it lists under "must have" skills and experience:
    • High performance ARM processor and ARM system integration experience
    • Experience with ARM power management, debug, SW
    • Knowledge on ARM based SoC fullchip verification a plus
    and under "nice to have" experience:
    • ARM application processor experience, specifically ARMv7 architecture, or “A” series-A8, A9, A15

So ARM is definitely part of their new ambidextrous design approach (there are those rumours circulating that they want to buy MIPS and so people have been saying that maybe ARM isn't a go at AMD...).

Anyway, I guess it's all fairly obvious, but I thought I'd pass it on as from memory they never explicitly stated that they'd start doing ARM chips.

2. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

im really scratching the back of my brain here but im pretty sure Dave said AMD use an ARM chip for all the power regulation stuff on there video cards( power consumption is evaluated every clock cycle on AMD cards) .

3. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

That could very well be the case - ARM chips can scale pretty low for their embedded offerings. But in that case those ARM chips wouldn't be a High performance ARM processor which is what AMD is advertising for. And, they certainly wouldn't be from ARM's “A” series-A8, A9, A15.

4. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

Could be if they exceed the I/O and capabilities of the lower ARM chip offerings... I didn't know they measured power consumption clock-by-clock, but it sounds pretty heavy-duty, especially with chips running 1GHz+... :thumbup: :)

5. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

Could be I guess...

It could also be for their Seamicro work too. I believe their fabric uses powerpc ASICs but anything can change when under new direction.

In any case I thought it was interesting :)

6. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

7. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

Yeah, they do mention knowledge of AMBA protocols and you're going to need to talk AMBA if you're going to incorporate any IP blocks that are usually used with ARM.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Didn't AMD/ATI build an ARM chip onto the GPU of the Nintendo Wii? Or was that an in-house Nintendo thing?

9. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

The Wii actually uses a powerpc CPU designed and fabbed by IBM with a separate Radeon GPU.

The Wii U uses a powerpc CPU and Radeon graphics again but it will most likely be a SoC design, probably produced by IBM again.

All three consoles out right now actually use powerpc CPUs believe it or not...

10. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

the security processors on the wii are arm

11. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

That would be made by Nintendo themselves rather than AMD though I'm guessing. From all accounts Nintendo can be very cagey about that aspect of their platform...

12. munka

munka Member

Here's your answer!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6007/...cortexa5-processor-for-trustzone-capabilities

13. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, not the main CPU, but the smaller CPU that ran security, wifi, etc. It remained powered on even when the main PowerPC chip was powered off (which is how the Wii could get updates and notifications even when powered down).

I was under the impression it sat on or near the video card.

15. Nikon223

Nikon223 Member

AMD need to focus more on making competitive cpus to compete with Intel. There current offering (including Trinity) is a let down. I have no upgrade path worth taking on the AMD side of things and I am very unhappy about that.

16. OP
    OP
    loophole

loophole Member

Ah, so the BMC (sounds like that's essentially what it is (with more TPM style security built-in), just that it probably doesn't talk IPMI ;) ) of the Wii is a little ARM chip. Cool!

Thanks elvis!

17. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

They've pretty much said they wont be going toe to toe with Intel on the top end anymore.

They will still make enthusiast chips but they definitely won't be focussed on at all. Not enough return for the sorta money they would have to throw at it I guess.

Still, there should be some half decent drop in upgrades end of this year/next year. My PC grunt is for gaming so GFX cards is where the money gets spent anyway.