AMD launch dual core desktop CPU's

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Deeman, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

From X-bit Labs

Reviews:
    FiringSquad
    The TechReport
    Anandtech

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22676

General availability expected in June...

The name?

Athlon 64 X2.

I like it, hopefully we see some benchmarks ASAP, i want to see how it does vs the Pentium D....

Also, it looks like AMD will be enable Hyperthreading style features on the A64...

http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=870

Launch speed on the dual-core opterons looks like it will be 2.2GHz also, which puts it in 3400+ territory, which is pretty damn speedy.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22678

I'll update this post with any more reviews and benchies i can dig up...

Dee.

Edit: Fixed title. Added reviews. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  2. fox1

fox1 Member

Nice spotting.

Dam me and my 754 socket :(

3. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Nevermind - i'm a s754 user, and won't be needing dual core for a while, as i don't need more than one thing to happen at once on my gaming PC...

AMD is still recommending the FX series for games (which translates for normal people to a regular A64, given the FX is insanely priced)...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22679

Sorry for all the INQ links...

4. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

As you should apologise.

Seriously though - the only people picking up a dual core CPU in the first six months will be people who need them for servers/workstations, and obviously the well-off enthusiasts around the place. I doubt we'll see dual-core solutions in common, every-day desktops for quite some time, say 12-18 months. Presently an A64, Sempron or Celeron system is plenty enough for Joe Average - though the release of Longhorn will probably change this.

5. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Yup - and we've been telling this to people for the last 18 months... Unless you would currently see a benefit from a SMP machine, dual core will do little for you.

However, i'm interested in the Opteron side of things, as they're a good option for our 1RU servers....

6. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I think that there will be three factors affecting how quickly A64 X2s make it to the desktop market (in quantity at good prices):

(1) Demand. AMD have already seen how effective this can be - they withdrew the A64 3400+ and 3700+ earlier than planned simply because they found the demand for the S939 3000+ and 3200+ was higher than they had expected it to be. If the A64 X2s become very popular, AMD will drop the prices very fast to increase that popularity.

(2) Intel. If Intel make their DC processors available cheaply, AMD will follow. They can't afford to let Intel get away with having cheaper dual-core CPUs than they have.

(3) Yields. Naturally, if AMD get very poor yields on the first dual-cores, they'll be forced to keep prices high until they have enough to satisfy demand at lower prices.

EDIT: I can definitely see AMD releasing these to the desktop market rather rapidly. It'll mean that Intel no longer gets to claim better multi-tasking performance, and it also means that AMD get to have their CPUs well established by the time Intel desktop dual-cores arrive.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  7. Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

so they will also be releasing the Athlon 64 X2 in mobile.....who needs a laptop dual core its not like its gonna run as a server or anything.

8. Zieprus

Zieprus Member

9. HeXa

HeXa Member

... he already linked to that in the original post :)

oh.. and AMD "hyperthreading" according to that article is just a tweak to take advantage of hyperthreading optimised code.... splits threads across two physical cores instead of two virtual cores as in the P4.

iirc.... the K8 doesn't have the ability for anything hyperthreading like.... but there were reports of such technology being possibly available in the future (licensed from IBM perhaps?)

- HeXa

10. fox1

fox1 Member

Yeah I know, just would have been nice to upgrade my cpu at the end of the year to something bigger than a 3400. oh well, now much are motherboards these days, piss all.

Not everyone just only does email on laptops :rolleyes:
    My dev box is a laptop so when I travel to client sites (some who are overseas) I can continue working without waiting for a machine to be built. And yes, we run servers (even tho we typically buy servers for development, in projects).

11. Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

well i still find it funny....i wonder if it will clock better like the other AMD mobile chips.

12. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

I realised that Intel style hyperthreading isn't required on the A64 (as they're far more efficient than the Netburst architecture), but now i get exactly what they're doing... thanks.

From the linked article...

Basically, if anyone has tried to use HT specific tweaks, AMD is going to expolit them. Sounds good.

13. dinos22

dinos22 Member

14. Kurt

Kurt Member

It'd be great for mobile sound recording and field video edits.

15. Sped 1989

Sped 1989 Member

us poor people.......

16. Sped 1989

Sped 1989 Member

i can see dell, HP and alike moving to amd for their processors, maketing dual core as something you absolutely NEED

17. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

HP possibly, but Dell isn't going to leave Intel in a hurry. If dual-core becomes a big thing, Dell will just start re-advertising Hyperthreading as being just as good.

18. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

HP/Compaq already sell amd based systems so it wont be long before they release a dual core one

19. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Thanks, now how am i meant to sleep tonight :p

Anyway, all im waiting on it DC pricing on the 2xx Series Opterons.
    If its high ill buy two single cores for the time being...Then, dual dual core (QUADS!!!)

20. spectreofgloom

spectreofgloom Member

The only games/engines I've heard about atm where dual core will be advantageous are Oblivion and the Unreal 3 engine.

Has anyone heard of anything else?