AMD Navi: 2020 hindsight edition

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by nope, Jun 13, 2018.

1. nope

nope Member

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-navi-gpu-roadmap-cost-zen/
    Exclusive: The AMD Inside Story, Navi GPU Roadmap And The Cost Of Zen To Gamers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click to view full size!

MultiCoreModule stuff very soon, will eventually come to pc gaming around early 202x once it matures on mass scale farm type work

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    cdtoaster and adamsleath like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

lots of excitement guys dont contain it all at once... till 2021 :s

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

in the meantime hopefully rgb improvements will keep children satisfied :lol:

Bertross likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

if i was amd i'd just release the 7nm vega clocked to 2ghz for the lols, dont bother with aib's
    whats sad is that gaming culture used to drive all this tech to get better year on year but now we've hit a wall, 3nm is getting close (we are at 7nm already) and everything is slowing down, im fine with amd and nvidia going into new markets (mining, ai etc) but they are leaving their most loyal customers in the dust with their bullshi t

seriously making us wait for 3+ fucking years for that vega abortion then 4+ years on top of that for navi? All while cpu market is booming?! Like ok i get it datacenters buy more gpgpu shit than we do but come on at least crap out a good 8 core zen navi apu.

Then theres rumors flying around about how dual quad oct + core gpu's will only be for datacenters and we wont even get them for yonks and stick with monolithic stuff? Fuck me my 1080 is already at 100% util 100% of the time!

5. asho444

asho444 Member

it sucks but is understandable.
    it costs bulk in R&D with the minimal margins they get from "Gamers" its understandable that they are wanting to diversify and create the GPUS for the parts that are going to bring in the money.

and its not like AMD is the only one slowing down Nvidia has been taking its sweet as time too.

at least 2020 will be exciting, Nvidia would atleast have its Ti version out, NAVI and Intel will be releasing their first discrete card.

nope likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

hopefully intels GPGPU project actually takes off this time i am sick of this shit.

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

Sounds like you’re mining with that card.

As mentioned this stuf takes time and money and I also can’t blame them for targeting the areas that make them money first.

8. asho444

asho444 Member

I am not overly excited after larabee and then raja created the vega mess so until I see benchmarks it's all moot to me

9. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

vega isnt that bad now but it was horrible at launch, again it still lacks drivers.

10. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

No wonder Raja moved to Intel then. Nvidia with no competition in high-end until 2021(more likely 2022)....sigh

nope likes this.
  11. miicah

miicah Member

Wait, what's this about vega is not for gamers? Is Vega a workstation card?

12. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

Yeah RTG are basically on life support at this point with no decent lead and amd's focus towards zen (as it should be)
    Desktop GPU's are so damn boring i am gonna go find a cheap titan x pascal or something decent and just sit on that for 3 years.
    how can you be here for over 2 years and not know this by now? Thought it was common knowledge GCN was workstation since dot.

13. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

It would be nice if AMD came out strong with a slam dunk like the 7950/70 was but I'm skeptical and will wait for benches and thermal numbers before popping the champers.

14. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

navi 7nm 2020 might be ok
    multi core quad core shit is what we really need.

15. ayles

ayles Member

This is pretty common knowledge, AMDs business is on it's ass. Of course they focus on the revenue and align the roadmap with the profitable projects.

Would you prefer 7nm later this year and then they shut the doors for good?

Happy to let them take 2 years, sort their shit out, come back stronger. They've been doing it since the Athlon days and normally their comeback product is strong. In the mean time buy a Ti or Titan if you need more frames. Or buy 2.

NV will milk this as much as they can because profit, if you were them knowing they have an easy 2019, delay the launch start working on next gen. Or launch at stupid prices and fanboys will buy.

At the end of the day discrete gfx is such a tiny part of their business and TBH I'm surprised they bother.

Intel is the dark horse in this race with the AMD talent...

16. asho444

asho444 Member

You do know that technically the GPUs have thousands of cores right, I don't understand how what your suggesting would help

17. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

Oh boy here we go...

Click to view full size!

18. asho444

asho444 Member

im more than happy to learn if i dont know what im talking about but your image is broken

19. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

Google is your friend.

20. asho444

asho444 Member

But considering most companies can't even code for multicore CPUs wouldn't that just add a massive layer of complexity,