1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

With more useful info rolling in now I think it's time to get the hype train rolling for RDNA2. As always until released cards are reviewed by the tech press it's all grain of salt fun.

Anandtech reports it'll have 50% improved performance per watt, given I'd only expect maybe 10% out of 7nm+ vs 7nm that's quite impressive for a 1 year gap to RDNA1. As expected from xbox series x reports RDNA2 will have hardware ray tracing and variable rate shading.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1559...-comes-this-year-with-50-improved-perfperwatt

Spec wise as many are aware by now speculation is big navi tops out at 80cu (double the 5700xt), die size around 500mm2. With the per/watt improvements anandtech states it's looking like big navi could potentially be done even with gddr6 and not just hbm2/e and still be 300w or less at high clock speeds.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-i...or-its-2020-bound-Big-Navi-GPUs.450963.0.html

As usual Moores Law Is Dead has a big speculation video on big Navi including plenty of RDNA1 and other graphics card architecture history. Speculation big navi will have both hbm2 and gddr6 memory controllers on die.

Nethiuz posted on the other thread big navi could hit 18tflops. Sounds about right to me.
    https://hothardware.com/news/xbox-series-x-live-demos-radeon-big-navi-amd-analyst-day-rumor

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    nope, RnR, the_antipop and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

3. OP
    OP
    SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Nice pickup, watching now!
    Note the 'CDNA' slides for enterprise confirming what I've read earlier that AMD is keeping RDNA as gaming specific architecture, and CDNA (GCN6?) for compute.

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. RnR

RnR Member

50% improvement on 7nm tech. Not counting 7nm+ apparently...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/RDNA-2-will-be-50-more-efficient.455487.0.html

But I can't find such a statement in any of their sources, so not sure if its just notebookcheck getting their wires crossed.

5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

All I got from today was it won't be out till end of the year.
    I bet Nvidia drops 3000 series before?

6. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

this year might be a who can get supply, rather than what tech is ready to go. Playstations and Xbox's will be preferenced, or read locked in to contracts hard. Nvidia will probably try and secure the pro/server market first anyway.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  7. OP
    OP
    SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Vega/Fury.

Thats all that really needs to be said about Hype when it comes to AMD Graphics Cards.

munchkin1 likes this.
  9. RnR

RnR Member

Nvidia has been using Samsungs 8nm tech for other parts of their silicon business. If they can't get the capacity they need from TSMC, I'm sure Samsung will be accommodating.

Edit: my bad 8nm is for the automotive industry.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  10. nope

nope Member

unless its cheaper than ampere i dont care

11. Azzan

Azzan Member

AMD: Our new GPU(Navi 2) kicks ass!!!
    NVidia: (looks at the performance) Not bad, similar to our RTX3060.. well done!
    [​IMG]

munchkin1 and nope like this.
  12. nope

nope Member

i cant wait for another year of driver issues with the 6700xt 6800xt 6900xt 6950x

munchkin1 likes this.
  13. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Was reading that MS and Sony have a NDA with AMD to not release the new ray tracing Navi cards until after the new console launches. I find that very easy to believe.

I’m optimistically hopeful that these cards will be good. The amount of R&D that Sony and Microsoft have poured into AMD would be insane, so I think they have something good brewing.

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Anyone found a link to the investor slide decks?

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Where did you read this? It’s AMDs architecture, and IP I’m not aware of any cross development at this level so seems unlikely to me

16. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Some pretty good assumptions and some reasonable rumours on AdoredTV

Some reliable rumours from AdoredTV's sources
    • Big Navi is looking good
    • Big Navi/RDNA2 will get rid of GCN architecture completely (Navi 10 had some GCN architecture still) and will be more efficient and have more IPC for doing so.
    • RDNA2/Big Navi will be 6000 series.
    • IPC increase for RDNA2 due to no more GCN
    • Hoping for Q3 launch.
    • Instinct (workstation cards) could launch as early as end of 2Q.
    • Several people at Nvidia are worried about Big Navi's performance, hence are pulling in launch of new Titan.

These are all assumptions and are just extrapolations. Although based on his info... seems like reasonable assumptions.
    • Xbox X performance has been revealed - 12 TFLOPS of GPU power
      • Based off this, and previous "leaks" of 56CU's and 1.7ghz for Xbox and 36Cu's and 2ghz for PS5 we can "estimate" TFLOPS of both consoles
        • EG, Current 5700XT has 40CU's and 2560 shaders. Each CU has approximately 64 shaders (this shouldn't change much).
        • Boost clock x 2 x Shaders / 1000000 = Tflops.
        • For the 5700XT (1905mhz x 2 x 2560 / 1000000 = 9.753600 TFLOPS).
        • For the Xbox X (1700 x 2 x (56x64) / 1000000 = 12.185600 TFLOPS). <----- right at what has been revealed.
        • For the PS5 (2000 x 2 x (36x64) / 100000 = 9.216 TFLOPS).
    • Rumours coming out of China, are stating big navi to be 500mm2 die.
      • If you take out a lot of the functions on current navi that really shouldn't change in size between navi 10/12/20 (IO, geometry/command processors, video encoders etc), and they should only be about 50mm2. doubling of CU's and ROPS of current Navi (205mm2), you end up with a ~455mm2 die. So there's more going on.
        • If we are REALLY going to theorize, the remainder could be for Ray Tracing???
      • Apparently a 512bit memory bus. This lines up with the bandwidth requirements of a big chip like Big Navi somewhat, as a 384 bit memory with more CU's would be reaching bandwidth limitations of more than 80CU's, whereas 512-bit would line up nicely.
    • Based off the 2 above, we can "extrapolate" what Big Navi can be.
      • 80CU's if we are just plain old doubling die size to the above mentioned 505mm2 rumour coming out of China.
      • Based off what the PS5 can do in a thermally limited package, 2.0GHz seems reasonable to assume.
      • Rumoured Big Navi (2000 x 2 x (80x64) / 1000000 = 20.48TFLOPS)./SPOILER]

SnooP-WiggleS, Nethiuz and RnR like this.
  17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I can't wait for Nvidia fanboys to stop whinging about something they don't have to buy.
    Competition is good for you even if you don't like it.

I own Nvidia and will most likely buy 3000 series but this is still good news.
    I also own a Holden and can Appreciate a nice Ford. You guys have the mentality of 12 year old sports fans.

2_stroke likes this.
  18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Without a doubt, the shocking level of tribal mentality is disgusting. You are an idiot if you don't select the best product at the time regardless of your advertising purchased loyalty. Had AMD and Nvidia for years. Neither have been problem free. Neither have been unusable.

Nethiuz likes this.
  19. RnR

RnR Member

SnooP-WiggleS and Nethiuz like this.
  20. bobsled

bobsled Member

Unfortunately it’s like the 40 year old rugby buffoons that act like they’re mentally challenged. It’s just an ellipsoid, but man, the penis grabbing, bubbling and glassing muppets are somehow legends and heroes....

I agree. Give me the best performing or value product and I’ll spend appropriately!

nope and Nethiuz like this.