AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Just because they are AMD Reference cards does not mean the seller is required to sell at that price. The MSRP / RRP is used to standardize pricing and sellers can sell above or below that, obviously it's not cool if they price gouge buyers by going over the MSRP/RRP by a lot.

Australia suffers from the fact most sellers have to go via a distributor for the brands to get stock. They don't have the luxury of going direct to ASUS or Gigabyte to buy stock, so the Australian distributor takes their portion and sells to the local retailers who want to make a profit too and sometimes that means selling over the MSRP/RRP. If there's high demand and low stock then, as we have seen with the 3000 series, they price gouge.

India has a MRP (Maximum Retail Price) maybe you should lobby for that if you want the cards to never exceed the price set.

In Singapore, Nintendo is sold via a single distributor, and as a result, last year and half of this year the consoles were selling for $650~$750... ( bought mine from Taiwan for $390 )

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yep, as evidenced by the fact that there are AU retailers right now selling Zen3 for more than RRP.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I watched a GN video sometime in the last couple days.. might even be today? Dunno my brain is fried. It might even have been an NVIDIA product stack, but I'm like 90% sure it was AMD.

He was talking about how AIB partners are being given unrealistic guidelines on cooler component costs to enable them to reach MSRP on RDNA2. The bottom of the stack would be the only cards it would be even close to build a cooler for the amount AMD was suggesting.

Basically the (unnamed) AIB from whom he got his info told him that they, and other AIB's, wanted AMD to either revise the MSRP to a higher number, or lower their own margin, to make MSRP a number they can actually make a profit on.

I don't think even the yanks will be seeing anything but Radeon FE cards being sold for anything close to MSRP for anything but the very bottom of the RDNA2 stack, anytime before prices bottom out just before RDNA3. In OZ we'll get bent over as usual, so they aren't going to be cheap. On the plus side, the top card is supposed to be as good or better in many respects than RTX 3090 and even with the OZ tax I can't see any version of the 6900XT getting even close to 3090 prices.

4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

This one? Was nVidia-focussed.

RnR likes this.
  5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

ummm yeah. Glad I didn't say I was 100% sure :lol: Told you my brain is fried.

Have a look in the Nvidia thread, I just posted a vid there of the thickest card I've ever seen, an Aorus Extreme 3080. I've never seen a 4 slot card before. I know the 3090 FE cards are much bigger than the 3080 FE cards, I shudder to think how big an Aorus Extreme 3090 must be. I know Nvidia's cards are fucking hot bastards, but that is insane.
    Little wonder MSRP is too difficult if you need a cooler like that to keep it under control without sounding like a fucking rocket.

Maybe we will have some chance of getting a better deal than I thought, pretty sure RDNA2 runs a lot cooler than the green teams cards.

It still won't be MSRP though, that just doesn't happen in the Oz market.

Gibbon likes this.
  6. Voltus

Voltus Member

This is true, but its usually spotted quickly. When AMD announed the price of Zen 3, retailers mostly supported that.

I understand MSRP is just a suggested price, but considering the stakes are high, and AMD has already sent out multiple communications to sellers about how they would "suggest" retailers handle the launch, im guessing there will be a "maximum" price that AMD would suggest.

People can charge what they want, yes, but if AMD says its going to be $x, most reputable retailers will sell it for $x.

7. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, it certainly puts focus on those that don't, since it's clearly obvious.

As always, vote with your wallet.

chook likes this.
  8. Sledge

Sledge Member

in australia it's a couple of grand.....

Spyder6052, Frag and Voltus like this.
  9. slamaa

slamaa Member

Any one know who is doing pre orders for the 6800xt?

10. Voltus

Voltus Member

500 grand

11. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Everyone at midnight who doesn't have stock and offers preorders (most places bar Umart and msy) will have preorders

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

And MSY / Umart will probably have cards on sale at 8 - 9am, they'll last all of 2 seconds.

thecondor likes this.
  13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

At what point does it make more sense to build a dual socket motherboard- with one socket for graphics?

Gpu memory upgrades would be fun.

FS: 2x8gb gddr6 8ghz micron 22,20,20,68

Reason for sale: upgraded to 16gb gddr6x2 9.5ghz Samsung q-die

14. PureFire

PureFire Member

15. chook

chook Member

MSRP does not exist in Australia; we have RRP.

AMD will suggest RRP i AU based on their knowledge of the distributors (they know the price the distributors pay because they buy from AMD), the distributors preferred margins (this will sometimes be in the distribution agreement but not always) and the retailers desired margins. This will be a very educated estimate by AMD who have people that get paid a LOT of money to know these things.

AMD have zero control over this and they only sell to distributors here. I believe Synnex and Ingram Micro are the two primary AMD distributors. They cannot do anything to or about a retailer who sells above RRP. In NA AMD sells directly to New Egg, Micro Center, and so forth. As such they have the ability to influence the price point of those manufacturers by either not providing as deep a discount, providing stock on a preferential basis, etc.

It is a situation caused by the way the AU market operates which has itself arisen out of necessity in some cases and contractual situations in other cases.

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've postulated before that eventually we'll have complete systems comprised of a standardised motherboard with upgradable modules for all purposes. It would have upgradable cpu, gpu, memory and graphics. All horizontally orientated, something like a bunch of M.2 type modules covering all components.

Die shrinks and improvements in efficiency providing significantly less heat, with standardised module placements and a one size fits all passive heat sink solution to encompass the whole board.

I actually predicted onboard storage long before M.2's became a thing, although I'd envisaged soldered modules, not the better idea of upgradable M.2's with a choice of protocols as they become available.

Want to upgrade the GPU? Remove heat sink, replace the GPU module, refit the heat sink.

More RAM? Multi channels, all on the same module but electrically split into separate channels by a controller on the module, with automatic adaptation at the motherboard level.
    Remove the heat sink and the dual channel modules, and insert upgraded quad channel modules.

CPU? Same deal, some kind of M.2 style chip, easily removed and upgraded by simply removing the heatsink,replacing the relevant module, and refitting the heatsink.

This is the way of the future. There will come a time when die shrinks to like 1 or 2nm, and architecture and efficiency tweaks reduce power needs and heat output. The computer as we know it will be dramatically different, but still easily upgraded.

It may not happen tomorrow, but it will happen. Unless quantum computing comes first, which will be just as revolutionary but on an even grander scale.

17. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

HYPE TRAIN BOIS

[​IMG]

Skramit likes this.
  18. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Get FE, cheapest card, slap a block on it!

3080 hot bastards? my colorful ultra OC ran 38-40 idle and 55-60 in games, hottest i saw was in Port Royal/TimeSpy @ 67 degrees, sure it was using 370W haha..

since putting a block on it, idles at 32-34 degrees, and in games its around 40-45. SOLID

I cant wait to block an AMD card, never have!!! :D 6800XT hmm, nah, i want 6900XT to replace the 2080 TI

19. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

HU stated that he has spoken to Aussie retailers and they have stressed the stock is the same as 3080 launch and you should anticipate not getting one for a few weeks.

20. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

too me 3 days to get first 3080, and then 2 weeks to get the 2nd, ordered a month after launch :D

Wonder if i could do the same with the 6800XT, nah, if i didnt have 3080s already sure.

6900XT in Dec is where its at :D