AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

The prices are definitely getting out of hand. We always knew AMD would charge $$$ for their CPU and GPU once they could compete - they'd be stupid not to.

RDNA2 is undercutting 3000 on price while also performing a bit better and using less power... but like ryzen if RDNA3 is still ahead of nvidia we'll see the prices equalise and come RDNA4 who knows...

The good thing here is that NVIDIA aren't complacent like Intel have been so they'll trade blows - unfortunately people are happy to pay these prices so I don't see them ever coming down.

People aren't only happy to spend $1,700 on a 3800 or $3,000 on a 3900 they will tear each other apart for the opportunity to do so. We have no one to blame but ourselves

SamNabz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  2. Nian

Nian Member

I can't help that others were not as lucky. But i can share, spend a precious evening on discord, stream some stuff, talk about it. Get everyone excited for when they get theirs.

Jimoin likes this.
  3. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

I saw this posted by you in the nvidia thread... but it's more suited to this one ;)

[​IMG]

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

We've had pages of this same argument now. Give it a rest. The topic isn't what you think of each other.

Rod M, FuzwaldQO, Voltus and 5 others like this.
  5. metalrain

metalrain Member

Fuck me. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, but that's pretty grim. All these GPUs are being made in Taiwan, right? Shipping shouldn't take that long even with COVID and port strikes. I assume they are just lacking key components in actually manufacturing these things. The whole supply chain has been well and truly fucked I'd say.

6. ssnke

ssnke Member

Scorp dishing out cancellations... :(
    I had my order confirmed pending 1:30am

7. Bertross

Bertross Member

Damn!

8. Frag

Frag Member

Everything is limited.. we are all having a sad on AMD for not having the stock at launch but really I can't get shit for my build. I have a order for a PC over 10+ days and still missing components (other than GPU).. Ie missing NVME, missing PSU, only just got the 5600X allocated.

We have to remember at the moment there is a huge demand spike across all PC parts, nvidia has had issues with their supply.. so really this is uncharted territory for suppliers. This goes for everything.. Heck I put an order in for a Ooni Koda 16 as soon as they were released and the first shipment is only due in Aust in late Dec.. thats a damn pizza oven and it has a 6 month backlog.

Lets not even talk about vehicles.. just crazy times. AMD's decision to release only reference for the first week is a little strange but perhaps that was partly to get AIBs a little extra time to get some supply into the network.

Further, high end gaming has been raped by Nvidia after the 2080ti launch - they literally maximised the monopolistic profits by the book and had cards selling for near 2k and people still bought them,.. so now when we have cards that perform much better around that $1000-1200 mark people are going extra crazy because they either skipped that gen or just see the value.

ricmc likes this.
  9. The Beast

The Beast Member

10. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Yeah I just got my cancellation then, see you all again 1am next Thursday...

Bertross and Frag like this.
  11. metalrain

metalrain Member

I've experienced this 2020 stock issues all year because I'm into photography as well. Some lenses and accessories, I've had to wait MONTHS for them to be shipped. It's not just computer parts, but practically anything made overseas. I was not surprised with all of the RX 6800 XT issues, though I was surprised that some people here were surprised lol

I mean the RTX 3080 was just a couple of months ago.

12. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

HU review was totally AMD biased. It was clear after I had watched LTT/J2C/Hardware Cunucks/Gamers Neuxs, there was a consistent trend/theme with comments like "I cant wait for the next Navi" and "this is AMDs first time at RT", etc.

The cards are quite close between the two, but once you turn RT on, then AMD gets absolutely hammered, and nvidia is only +$50 USD more. So I guess at least we have choice, if you want to save a little and not have RT, or pay extra and get RT.

But then again, there's no point even caring about the prices quoted by AMD and Nvidia, because what they say and what it is, is a totally different reality.

Personally, just over these paper launches and the RRP which is a marketing ploy, to make them look like the good guys/get a load of attention, and then provide the entire country with ridiculous low quantity of units, so no body can actually use/enjoy.

They could of both wait +1/+2 months to actually get decent stock, before they start selling. This is what they both can definitely control. What AMD and Nvidia are doing now, by choice, is plain stupid.

Lets not kid ourselves here, AMD are not undercutting nvidia at all. It is the inferior product, and as such, its priced accordingly. $50 less, people can decide if they care or don't care about RT.

AMD could of priced these at $700 AUD if they really wanted, that I would call undercutting and bringing things back to reality, but it will never happen. AMD are just as money hungry as any other corporation, so the prices will never come down. PC gaming will be a dying breed due to price. It's simply cheaper/easier to buy a console, when the entire system costs less than a mid-tier graphics card lol. Yeah, $1k graphics is mid-tier, dumb.

ricmc and Voltus like this.
  13. Frag

Frag Member

I really hope they have some "I am human" verifications on checkout with these unicorn items. I had 4 sites up -> Ple, PCCG, Umart & Newegg and it was just an exercise in futility trying to get one.

SamNabz likes this.
  14. Skramit

Skramit Member

To be fair, the 'real' launch happens next week. Fuck knows why they went reference one week and AIB the next, possibly just to spread the demand a bit on web servers, but anyway next week will be the true story.

I agree with you. The point i was making though, is RT is one of many 'minor' features on all of these cards and many people play games that doesnt even support it. Kyle did most of his testing with it turned on, so it was only half the story of the 6800 performance. HU might be biased the other way, I dont disagree, but to summarise Kyle's graphs as "3070 beats 6080" when every other review out there has 6800 beats 3070....easily, was a noob error in his testing method IMO :)

If RT is the most important thing to a person, then the nVidia is the way to go.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  15. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Can we get ping compensation, I'm on fixed WiFi! :p

16. The Beast

The Beast Member

NVidia Reflex can help with that, all you need is a 3080.

17. SamNabz

SamNabz Member

Honestly, this would solve so much. Why they don't implement it, is beyond me.

18. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Scott herkelman in an hour long interview on pc world.

19. Nian

Nian Member

Why not a lottery or auction?

My grandparents after the war had to go in to a lottery, to win the right to buy a house. Because the demand for homes exceeded supply.

20. SamNabz

SamNabz Member

Is it possible to win a lottery/auction against a bot? :rolleyes: