AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The 6800XT LC is $1800 lol.

Actually those prices aren't to bad, Scoprtec has the TUF Gaming for $1600.

Edit, oh those are 6800 not 6800XT... Fuck that.

Nethiuz and Skramit like this.
  2. Zee

Zee Member

That's just the in house OC division running their latest test. Nothing to see, move along...

Z...

Kookooburra and Strifian like this.
  3. chook

chook Member

pwnd them like a n00b.

Skramit likes this.
  4. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

HardwareUnboxed mentioned in their latest Q&A that AMD have directly assured them that AIB cards will be available at MSRP within 4-8 weeks.

The wording used ("AMD is now enabling AIB's to meet that target moving forward") suggests that AMD has dropped the price on their partner packages.

Seems like AIB's released with these prices to almost make a statement publicly to AMD.

tired and RnR like this.
  5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I still think it's weird Sapphire & Powercolor cards were $1300 while all the others were at least $1600. Wonder if AMD put there foot down with the others...

Digit likes this.
  6. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Probably just favouring their exclusive partners, power colour and sapphire probably needs the help more than gigabyte etc

7. ricmc

ricmc Member

Yeah it had been mentioned a few weeks back AMD were giving better offers to exclusive partners. I assume Nvidia does the same given evga's pricing.

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Trizae and nope like this.
  9. nope

nope Member

that must be some crazy bin

10. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Tl:dr derbauer found a 2800mhz locked clock limit on air in the bios and can't find a way around it at this stage. Powercolour acknowledged that they can't even change it and it's an AMD thing.

He's added more power, but can't use it yet due to this odd hard limit set for the core freq.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    RnR likes this.
  11. sammy_b0i

Maybe there is forced segmentation for the sake of the 6900xt

12. Trizae

Trizae Member

it’s a chonky fast boi!

13. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

This is an unacceptable business practice imho.

15. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Didn't AMD have this same problem with Polaris? The high end card while it had more compute units the lower end card could clock to match it and they performed more or less the same so they didn't end up selling a hell of a lot of the high end ones because of that?

That clock limit could be changed with a hacked BIOS ;).

16. sammy_b0i

I don't agree. You're being sold a product that runs at X mhz at a certain price point, and they're also selling a faster model that does X mhz at a higher price point.

I don't think there's justification to be unhappy that your product isn't allowed to run 20% above rated spec, if that's not what it was designed for/sold at.

17. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

Received the RX 6800 XT today from PCCASEGEAR. certainly smaller than the RTX2080S MSI GAming X

self_slaughter, jpw007, ricmc and 7 others like this.
  18. sammy_b0i

Congrats!

19. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

If the only market segmentation is an artificial clock limit imposed on the cards then it's pretty lame imo. It's like {x company} selling an unlocked series CPU but there's an unadvertised multiplier limit of 52x. But wait, for $200 more you can buy this otherwise identical cpu with the multiplier completely unlocked. Call in the next 5 minutes and we'll bundle in a free set of steak knives!

We have a lot of crafty individuals in the enthusiast and extreme overclocking space so it is quite likely a work around will be found, with or without help from amd.

I think we are starting to see the gears turn at AMD where they are more comfortable to act like the market leader they are becoming and impose more restrictions and segmentations on consumers as their products become more attractive. SAM being limited to b550/x570 and zen 3 only before it came out that it was a pcie spec feature that should be able to be implemented more broadly might have been our first hint of that. They also would have loved to get away with limiting Zen 3 to new chipsets to stimulate more upgrades but the backlash was just too strong on that one and back flips ensued.

I am really not trying to bash amd too much here as it is all stuff we have seen and continue to see with the other big chip makers. I think this is just becoming the reality also for the much fabled underdog and people's champions :p

sskmercer, chook and Elchupacabraj like this.
  20. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

I disagree, there appears to be a 3000mhz limit on the 6900xt also, and the 8CU difference. We need to remember that a core limit is typically imposed, as was on the 5700xt (2150mhz). Just need to wait for bios to be hex edited