AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. nope

nope Member

Same you'll fin compatibility could get broken by future driver update like what happened with me

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah that's one thing I worry about but I'd trust AMD more to not break it than Nvidia. Don't trust them a whole lot more but still.

I'll probably only keep the card till new ones are out, providing the TDP is less on the new ones. 300w is a hell of a lot to cool.

3. groovetek

groovetek Member

Has anyone had issues with the initial power spikes on the new RX6000 series? Seems to be reported by a few sites now, with the 6900XT supposedly spiking over 500W upon initial load up.

Just thinking how a decent existing 600W PSU would hold up in this scenario with an overclocked Intel system...

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Well considering the recommended PSU is 750w for the both 6800 XT & 6900 XT and 600w for the 6800 you're already up shit creek for any of these cards lol. That's just for reference cards as well, AIB cards are recommending upwards of 900w.

General rule, over rate your PSU by at least 40 - 60% of total system load, the last thing you want to do is have an under rated PSU. For these cards with an OCed CPU I'd say nothing less than a 1000w PSU.

5. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Well on that it seems that an RM750i is not enough to run a 5950x and a 6900xt with a couple of M2's, a bunch of fans, an AIO and a few HDDS. Has run fine for 2 weeks now but today under a heavy gaming load (cyberpunk) with a cpu working on all threads it shut down twice. Seemed very much like it was tripping a power limit.

My reference 6900XT has a recommendation for an 850w PSU

So looks like I can see a HX1200 in my future.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah the spikes from both AMD & Nvidia cards this gen is pretty bad. Looks like Nvidia is a bit worse, probably because of the shitty 8nm die. I really hope the next lot of cards from both use much less power, to much power, to much heat, not fun.

I think if you have a >90w CPU and a 6800 XT, 6900 XT, 3080 or 3090 you should just have a 1000w - 1200w PSU. I'm gonna see how my 850w goes when I get the 6900 XT from my friend but I'm guessing I'll need a bigger PSU even though I wont be overclocking.

darkbastard likes this.
  7. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

My Corsair RM850X handled a 5600x / 6900 XT without any issues even when overclocked. Interestingly my RM850i would crash at the same settings...

8. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

Those who did the pre-order with Harvey's if going by their wait times for MSI 3080's youre looking at a 2 month wait, ordered a gaming trio 3080 on the 20th Nov, might get it by the end of this month... customer service wont give you AN EXACT timeframe for shipment (usually just copy and paste the BS thats under the price)

9. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I have a 750W gold be quiet! 'Straight Power 11' in my pc with a 6900 XT and 5950X and have never seen the power draw above ~600-650W (OC benching). I'd say the 850W recommended would be accounting for low quality PSU's. Really you want your most typical draw to be about ~ 50% of the PSU rating for peak efficiency, I'm generally somewhere around 60-65% in games, which is still fine.

I wouldn't go lumping 6000 series AMD cards in with Ampere. These cards are impressively efficient for high end cards, and definitely some of the most efficient cards AMD has made in a long time (remember Vega 64...). I rarely see more than 300W draw in game with my OC at the limits, compare that to 450W+ on a 3080 or 3090 for comparable performance (and to escape pcap).

Also 300W isn't what it used to be, up to 300W isn't too bad to cool these days with modern beefy air coolers and triple fans, it's when you're up around 350-400W that it starts to get difficult to manage, from my experience. Also, with both RDNA2 and Ampere, temperature scaling doesn't seem to be as much of a thing. There is a mild difference in stability at the knife edge between like 50C and say 70C on both cards, but gaming clocks are barely affected. Compared to Turing where this could be 100-150mhz difference, so every degree counted.

I've attached a screenshot of my 6900 XT Red Devil in AC Valhalla (4K 100%, Ultra quality + HWUB settings [AA low]) with my max game OC (110% core OC, 115% TDP fast timings, 2150mhz memory, SAM on, anti-Lag and enhanced sync enabled) using MPT with a 350 TDC and 350TDP. I'm really just showing off, but it's a thing of beauty. This is almost double (+90%) the performance I was receiving from my 2080 Ti at max OC in this game at the same settings, it's definitely a favorable title for RDNA2 of course, but still very impressive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    nigwil008 likes this.
  10. Malakai

Malakai Member

I'm using an SF750 (SFX) PSU with a 5950X and 6900 XT and with both at stock the gaming (AC: Valhalla) total system draw at the wall is 495W.

Some crashes to desktop while playing games but it's always one of two things, the game or the Radeon driver or both. It never shuts off the system like it would if it was a over-current protection. The crashes could still be power related I suppose but my money is on the game and or drivers when that happens.

I haven't tried the system with both max CPU OC and max GPU OC. That would probably be a bit much for it because individually I know I can push the CPU to 250W and the GPU to 300W on their own. For reference simple PBO for the CPU is 188W and RAGE Mode for the GPU is 270W.

11. Skramit

Skramit Member

Dudes you don’t need a 1000w PSU for any of the new GPUs.

hellaflush likes this.
  12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

If you have a heavily overclocked CPU and the GPU is spiking 500w then yeah... You should have a 1000w. It's better to have overhead than running a PSU on the ragged edge.

13. Skramit

Skramit Member

Okay there might be a handful of people with this use case where they have flashed their GPU bios to 500W and have a CPU pulling 250W... but the for the majority, 750w PSU is fine. I just rail a little when there’s commentary of “you need a 1000w PSU”... but it should be qualified that only extreme over clocking needs this.

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  14. groovetek

groovetek Member

Haha it was just a hypothetical. I had a Silverstone Strider 600W 80+ from 2012 in my old system prior to upgrading, just thought the 300W rating on the AMD is kinda pointless if it spikes to 500W.

I agree 8Nm is probably less efficient, but haven't seen spiking being an issue with Ampere cards - looking at videos like 600W SFX Power Supplies vs. RTX 3080 – Surprising Results - YouTube , with OC'd 10900K + RTX3080 being fine on 600W SFX PSUs.

15. The Beast

The Beast Member

That may factually correct, but it doesn't mean getting one is a bad idea.

1) The cost difference between comparable 750/850/1000/1200 watt PSUs is minimal, especially compared to other PC components.
    2) PSUs often last multiple builds.
    3) More expensive PSUs often carry longer warranty. I recently had a 1200W PSU fail that was covered by a 10 year warranty and it was replace no questions asked.
    4) MOAR POWAAAAA!
    5) Bigger PSUs often run passively (despite being fitted with a fan), my 1200W PSUs have never once had to spin their fans up, complete silence.
    6) +3 to E-Peen

Skramit and Trizae like this.
  16. Trizae

Trizae Member

1.2KWpsu multiple build current gpu gang signing in MOAR POWAH!!!!

Skramit likes this.
  17. Phido

Phido Member

I had my 5950x, 64GB ram, 6800 reference, being powered off a 450w SFX PSU. I wouldn't recommend it, but it certainly worked until I swapped the PSU over.
    A quality 600w PSU will be fine unless your overclocking.

Skramit likes this.
  18. Skramit

Skramit Member

Agree entirely with point 6 :p

For me it's just down to cost. I find theres plenty of 750 Gold PSU's for under $200. But step up to 850 and above is mostly over $200. 750 is certainly in the price "sweet spot" IMO. But everyone is different when it comes to price.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Trizae likes this.
  19. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I agree that 750 is the sweet spot, depending on your use case you an certainly get away with less, but 750 definitely fits the bill for most people.

I used to have a 350W for a media pc (always on, efficiency etc) which ended up with an RX480 and R6 1600. With some static overclocks it was pushed pretty hard, under sustained load in some games it would power cut... But with everything at stock it was fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Skramit likes this.
  20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

For me it has nothing to do with price, it's all about efficiency and not stressing the balls off the PSU. Had far to much experience with overloaded power supplies (not just PCs) to be taking chances, especially on a >$5000 system.

I'll use my build as an example, you can see in my sig what I have and I'll have a reference 6900XT coming soon, if I stick all of that into the PSU calculator it comes out to around 600w, I'm also adding in future updates, more SSDs, couple of D5 pumps etc. Sounds great, a 750w would do, I currently have an 850w so I'm good. But we know the 6900XTs can spike to 500w so realistically an 800w PSU is needed, I'm still good because again I have an 850w.

Here's where the efficiency comes in. Most power supplies will be running at peak efficiency around 40 - 60% ish load, that's the point where they can output the most current with the least amount of ripple and noise, start going above that 60% you're usually introducing more ripple and noise as well as other electrical crap you don't really want and the components get more stressed which produces more heat which reduces the life of the PSU.

For my build to keep in that peak efficiency of my PSU while accounting for spikes realistically a 1200w is needed. I don't know 100% if I will go 1200w atm, I need to get the 6900XT first and do some testing to see if it does spike and if so how frequently it does it. If under heavy sustained load it spikes every few mins then I'll upgrade but if it's only doing it once every hour then I think that's acceptable.

d_prac and Trizae like this.