AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Does it really matter about RT in Cyberpunk, game runs like shit anyway and RT either Nvidia or AMD tanks performance for stuff all gains.

2. RnR

RnR Member

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Um... It looks identical lol.

4. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

yeah I think because the game has been in the build for so long, well before ray tracing was a thing, their game engine did a pretty good job of faking decent lighting.
    with the ray tracing just tacked on at the end, rather than being built for it you don't get a big benefit.
    I think games being built natively for ray tracing from scratch will be a year or so away, and the devs will learn from the consoles how to get the best out it. the game engines will improve also. good things will come...

5. RnR

RnR Member

The volumetric fog is a bit 'richer' in the RT version. There are also some better road highlights... but yeah completely worthless.

6. Malakai

Malakai Member

I've been enjoying the shit out of CP2077 on my 6900 XT, just finished it as a nomad. Only some funny glitches and bugs like T-posing while driving down one particular street, pedestrian crossing lights with no pole holding them up, an enemy shooting at me from inside a room with no doors or windows, slipping over and dying while vaulting random objects like dumpsters or bus stops etc. I was hoping to see the melting tree glitch but haven't come across it yet. I'll try RT but the game already looks fantastic in ultra wide 1440p.

7. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Ended up getting an RX 6700 XT, is it sad that the FIRST thing I run up to see how it works is Minecraft? :lol:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    RnR likes this.
  8. The Beast

The Beast Member

4K HDR - RT Ultra preset is playable (thanks to DLSS and G-Sync) at ~60fps with dips to mid 40s in intense or CPU heavy areas. This game ain't winning awards for optimisation that's for sure.
    4K HDR - Ultra preset (baked lighting) looks amazing too, and with DLSS is an easy 85-100fps on my rig.

9. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Yeah, it will be interesting to see a deep dive into the raytracing in this game between amd and nvidia, on my 30 series the difference was considerable, to the point that I wouldn't bother playing it with RT off.

I don't have many side by sides, but these are two that I do have. 1440p, DLSS quality and there's pretty dramatic change in the image. Definitely not stuff all gains. Both look good, but one certainly looks better to my eye, and with DLSS the performance hit wasn't a problem.

OFF
    off2.png

ON
    on1.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    WarriorZ, pH@tTm@N and FuzwaldQO like this.
  10. Malakai

Malakai Member

That update size though!!

upload_2021-4-1_19-23-17.png

11. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I may be a bit odd (good chance), but I think OFF actually looks better. It's more atmospheric IMHO.
    Also, where is the blue light reflecting on the RH wall coming from in the ON pic? Over on the very LH edge of the pic?

Definitely very different, anyway.

12. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

The light is from the lit up advertisements on the left wall. You can see the light continues behind the desk and throws a shadow where the monitor and the girl are, something that isn't present in the 'off' video, it's something that should be there when you consider the sources of light within the area that only raytracing makes possible.

As for the scene, it's a neon whorehouse, it's meant to be bright and over the top, so I'd say the atmosphere of the 'off' image is, well, off.

Atmosphere aside, on a technical level it's night and day, and it's meant to be viewed as a counter to the claim that raytracing does next to nothing.

13. mechwarrior

mechwarrior Member

Called harvey norman about my 6800xt " they are unable to provide me with an eta" ordered on the 7.1.21. At the price I paid $1089 have to grind my teeth and wait...

Maco88 and Spyder6052 like this.
  14. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

yeah they are fricken hopeless for giving info out... i only got the generic "congrats on your purchase we will update you once...blah blah blah

15. metalrain

metalrain Member

16. groovetek

groovetek Member

RT on CP2077 makes an appreciable difference. DLSS makes it all worth it. No major downsides so may as well use it. On Balanced it is near enough to no DLSS.

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

That's kinda the entire point of RT, you get light bounce from sources out of screen space - just like real life.

Yeah, DLSS works well enough that I will always run with RT on. AMD really need to get their version of DLSS happening.

18. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yes, I know what the point of it is - my point was that in that example, I'm not really sure I think it actually looks better. The reflections on the RH wall seems overly bright considering the light sources on the LH wall (a lot of it would have to be reflecting from what you can see on the LH wall) - to me, the LH wall would have to be nearly solid white and blue lighting to do that. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Some games look great with RT, others it offers a very slight improvement for a massive performance cost - CP77 is the latter

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Probably because RT was just quickly added to CP77 because Nvidia pushed for it as they always do.

mesaoz likes this.