AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. nope

nope Member

makes me feel better about my 750w
    im waiting for prices to unfuck for gpus if ever

2. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Yeah the quality of the PSU is important. I’d be comfortable with a good 750W. But if it’s some lower tier stuff go higher

3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i used a 650W titanium seasonc with a 3080 with a 375W bios loaded, with my 5800X no issues.

a good quality 750W should be fine no issues.

4. OJR

OJR Member

Good news boys. The 6900XT picks up the screen as Freesynch compatible.

Attached Files:

thecondor, nCrypt, raincloudx and 3 others like this.
  5. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

Thanks for the input guys and sounds like it should be fine with a bit of headroom as there are no other peripherals other than the AIO cooler on the CPU and a few case fans.

The Beast likes this.
  6. Triangulum

Triangulum Member

I'm running a 5950X and (reference) 6900XT - at max load the power draw on the wall is about 490W. The Corsair SF750 Platinum is running that combo super well!

7. RnR

RnR Member

8. OJR

OJR Member

Yay! All shit games.

the_antipop likes this.
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Farming sim 22.. thank god

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Most of those games don't even need it ffs, they'll run on potatoes :rolleyes:.

11. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Yeah that is heavily disappointing. Why they didn't target popular games that NEED it; Cyberpunk, Warzone, PUBG, Death Stranding, HZD etc.
    Not overly impressed here by AMD...

12. OJR

OJR Member

That list is actually embarassing. Imagine presenting that as the marketing department.

151528 and mAJORD like this.
  13. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah that's a really lame launch list, I am surprised Dirt 5 is not among them given the heavy AMD involvement in that game. Still a lukewarm game at best but probably a better showcase than anything they've listed there. HZD is also an AMD featured game I think? That would have been an excellent launch showcase.

This is a bit more interesting with a list of developers seemingly onboard and agreeing to adopt FSR in an undisclosed capacity:
    [​IMG]

miguel_sanchez likes this.
  14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Realisticly never going to get a great number of AAA titles at launch , but really needs far cry 6 in the launch column as an absolute minimum , and pref one other bigger '21 game , even if it means a delay

As it is , there's nothing even worth testing it with at launch , the whole thing going to get forgotten until more decent titles come out and eventually get tested giving it some exposure .

That said I get the feeling it's not really ready for the limelight anyway and just want to get it out there asap in a functional state and let it grow.

Launching with lots of AAA titles and lots of attention could be worse if it's results are lacklustre

Sunder and jjjc_93 like this.
  15. RnR

RnR Member

This. They need a V2 using motion vectors. I mean if Epic can do it, why not AMD. Unless the issue is patents... :(

jjjc_93 likes this.
  16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'm guessing they didn't go after the big games because Nvidia, don't most of the big games have Nvidia tech?

17. Sunder

Sunder Member

Was going to say something similar with more detail. My employer does something similar. Everything is soft launched, but the first 3-6 months, the product manager needs to sign off on the project. It's mainly customers who want to put it in non-critical, non media scruitinised places, and who are big enough to have a dedicated technical account manager.

The number of bugs we fix in that "new product" (not beta) group, is astounding. Then we have the rest of the market telling us how stable our software is.

RnR likes this.
  18. RnR

RnR Member

From my understanding, there is very little work in implementing this on the dev side. I mean if the devs of Myst can utilise the API, then surely the big AAA rated game studios can as well. So I'm not sure that AMD went after anyone at all - other than the already announced 'AMD games' - ie Godfall etc.

19. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah that's my understanding as well but Nvidia would probably be throwing money at devs to not use it or at least not implement it quickly. AMD should really be going after devs, they have good cards, stable driver etc etc. Be stupid to spend all the time and money then just hope devs will adopt it.

20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I don't think long term adoption is going to be an issue with AMD's dominance in the console market, we will definitely see it flow over from there. Assuming it is better than other methods of upscaling already in use on consoles of course. As Majord and RNR stated it's probably not ready for the big leagues, from what we have seen already from some still screens and a little demo people are already picking it apart. People have been screaming for it though and Nvidia have a massive lead on this front so I can see why they want it in the field asap.

151528 likes this.