AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. goodplay

goodplay Member

What i find strange in Igor first post is ref to asus (is he basing his info on their projection), why would they have preference to specs. over other sole amd aib partners.
    Perhaps the Watts is their card version, anyway not long to go for amd specs announce.
    This will be the first Ref. card i've ever bought, RX6900XT or XTX, i'm buying day one.

2. goodplay

goodplay Member

Maybe both will be available on same date ?
    TSMC said huge production increase/output from October.

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Wasn't there a rumour they were hitting 3GHz in the lab as well?

AMD have been adamant for a while that they have stock, this is more than likely to stop AIBs and idiots.

Remember 7nm has decent yields and they've been on it for a while, they also seriously ramped up 7nm production earlier this year apparently as well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Well, there were xboxes and playstations to build, then you've got zen3 and navi, and everything else with a pandemic as well, might be stretching it thin still. If they can ship in volume though, with a competative or better product, AMD will win a lot of hearts. Anticipating shortages though, just not nvidia style.

I'll probably still sit on my 3080 for a while unless navi destroys it, then I'll wait for the AIB cards to come out before I go back to all AMD, I really liked my 5700xt and after a brief period of instability following launch I couldn't fault the drivers, would gladly go full red again.

NSanity likes this.
  5. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Can we talk price speculation?

All purely hypothetical of course. Just sitting here counting the 5 cent pieces in my piggybank

They have confirmed that a card would be $549 USD. 6900XT? If so, where does the XTX sit price-wise if it is 3090 equivalent. Would you expect AMD to pull the same twice the price, 10% the performance as Nvidia'a ampere?

[​IMG]

6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

From the rumours I seen AMD hinted strongly that they had more Navi stock than Ampere (not hard to do), specifically "plentiful" stock. Remember though, AMD haven't put out a top end card in years and people don't trust them on the GPU side of things because for a long time they've put out shit cards.

Navi wont destroy the 3080, well maybe the 8nm version and maybe by upwards of 5% but once Nvidia get to 7nm they'll be in the lead. Where AMD could win is price and VRAM, if they can put out a 16GB card that performs well in 4K and VR for around the price of the 3080 or just below it while coming close or beating it, AMD have a massive win right there.

AMD need to come out strong with Navi, they cant have any stuff ups, the cards need to be available, price needs to be acceptable but most importantly, the drivers must be stable.

Edit, also remember 2 very important things about Ampere:

1. Samsung 8nm has horrible yields, it's something like 50% at best so that's the main issue.
    2. Nvidia rushed Amperes launch in the first place to steal some of AMDs Navi thunder. Just look at how Jensen did his launch, in his kitchen, none of the usual Nvidia flare. Lisa did a proper Zen 3 presentation and I think it's safe to assume she'll do the same with Navi.

Navi is a threat to Nvidia, not as in it'll actually stop Ampere but it shows that yes AMD can make a good GPU, with a lot of VRAM and presumably cheaper while still offering damn good performance. Will it beat Ampere in everything? Probably not, especially not in Ray Tracing or DLSS equivalent but remove those and in normal gaming... AMD probably have a very good competitive card at this point in time.

7. RnR

RnR Member

I stand corrected. Seems the high clock rate BIOS numbers comes from a N21... possibly a 72CU sku. Sorry - was tired last night.

big-navi.gif

From https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/status/1319032714650058752

I've quoted this before, but I'll quote it again to put the clocks into perspective;
    From https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...na-architectures-thread.2579999/post-40319690

I suspect that AMD will take the crown now. And there ain't anything Nvidia can do. Which Nvidia knows since there are rumours that they have cancelled 20Gb version of the 3080.

8. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I think the kitchen presentation was just a symptom of the times, the production and presentation was still pretty good, he seemed to be having fun with it, a gpu hidden over here, twenty spatulas over there, I liked it, seemed covid/lockdown appropriate and it was memorable.

I wanna see Lisa in her kitchen but that might play into the amd-gpus-bad-and-hot narrative if she starts pulling them out of the oven.

9. chook

chook Member

In a play straight out of the Apple playbook Nvidia now own the trademark/patent for using a kitchen to launch a product. That leaves us having to put up with Lisa in a bubble bath.

Unfortunate. :weirdo:

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Clearly Lisa should launch rdna2 from the bedroom

Spyder6052 and 335 GT like this.
  11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Oh god, lets not start this again.

Spyder6052, ricmc, Digit and 3 others like this.
  12. chook

chook Member

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

16gb even on the middle of the stack card? Interesting.

I guess gddr6 is probably cheap now.

14. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Didn't think the 6800 also had 16Gb of RAM, odd choice but if it's true then cool.

I'm still wondering how the cache is going to play into all of this, that memory bust is still a bit worrying, could bottle neck very easily.

15. chook

chook Member

That is my wonder as well. Waiting for third-party reviews after launch to make the decision.

I want new toys now :(.

mesaoz likes this.
  16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'm waiting as well, also waiting to see if we get any AIO versions, if these really are 300w cards I refuse to use an air cooled card over 230w, way to hot in summer for that shit.

Same, I'm also going to be getting a new CPU this time round as well, wallet is already hurting :upset:.

17. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I think, this is the last chance for AMD to get back on the horse in the high-end segment. If they fu*k it up this time, I don't think there is any coming back.

However it looks like AMD can smell the blood, and they going all out this time, I wouldn't be surprised if they price these well too to try to steal as much market share as they can from nvidia.

18. chook

chook Member

I am very curious about pricing as well. If you are AMD do you keep pricing down this time, rip all the money out of the market and buy mind share back or do you charge a price that stacks up with performance? There is only one real answer.

AMD know what they have.

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

No point making them overly cheap if you won't have any stock because they're going to sell. You also want to have room for price drops.

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

The persistent 256 bit bus is the only thing doing my head in now re leaked specs.