AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah annoying isn't it? Lol.

Gotta wait another week before we know what this cache thing is all about.

2. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I think AMD will price well. Even if they don't make a huge profit per card sold, they will do it. I believe they did a similar thing with Zen 1, just to get that market share back. Then come RDNA3, change pricing a little to make a bit more profit.

3. RnR

RnR Member

There should be a huge amount of fat for AMD with the current Nvidia prices. Ampere cards have expensive PCB's. RDNA2 cards should have cheap RDNA1-like PCB's.

4. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I'm thinking they will aim their prices around one Nvidia card lower than their cards performance. So their card with around 3070 performance will be priced at 3060 level so $500-700AU. AMD card with around 3080 performance will be priced at 3070 level so $700-900AU. AMD card with 3090+ performance (yes, I said that) will be priced around a mid priced 3080 so around $1300-$1500. If they do that... they will make a ton of money, have room to drop if needed, and give Nvidia a very big headache.

I believe the reason that Nvidia have apparently ditched plans to put out their higher GB memory cards (the Ti you have when you don't have a Ti) is because they realise they just won't cut it. The ram size jump isn't enough to boost the performance. Instead they will facelift next year with the higher GB ram models on TSMC 7mn where they should be able to compete again. Maybe call it 35x0, or possibly just jump to 40x0.

chook likes this.
  5. chook

chook Member

I suspect the pricing to be in the middle, e.g. 3080 equivalent half way between 3070 and 3080 which still lets them drop if they have to and keep more margin.

As for ditching the larger RAM cards, TSMC N7 is my thought as to the reason. It makes more sense to me that they would drop a better chip and maybe more VRAM at the same time to try and take back the crown.

6. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

It's only 20% of the CUs disabled from the top unit, dropping to 8GB would be leaving it in a weird space where it's a 1440p only card.

335 GT likes this.
  7. RnR

RnR Member

Someone reckoned that this sku has 72CU's. Apparently AMD has never cut down a die that much ie by 20%

8. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

600hungy with 16g vram and maybe double 5700 performance....fuck yeah!!!@AMD

9. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Few games will require more than 12/13g vram, and it'll probably only be the 2 top cards that really need 16g just in case.

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Can always use more VRAM if it's available. Don't need to optimize games to run on 2gb anymore..

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

GPU rendering can utilise VRAM as well, if your doing high res stuff it can eat that shit up like Chrome eats normal RAM.

12. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

There's something called Firefox, that's a more preffered version of MemTest. That shit will engulf your entire system

ricmc likes this.
  13. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Maybe a 3085 and 3075, i remember moving from 2xGTX280 SLI to 2xGTX285 SLI back in 2008-9 IIRC.

I find it hard for t hem to release a 3080 Ti, or super, is there really enough room between a 3080 and 3090 to do that?

Anyway, back on TOPIC, all i want from AMD is too be competitive.

IF they can beat a 3080 then they will get my money. if they cant, then i hope for all other consumers their pricing is at a great point where consumers are the big winners.

My last AMD Card, the FuryX, sucked balls. SO hoping for better then that lol.

Not long now .

Dr Evil likes this.
  14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Rx 5600 (non xt) :) . 32CU/40

RnR likes this.
  15. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Navi 21. It had to be. No chance 8gb would fly @1440.

This looks to be the smart buy.

3090 owners gonna be nervous. $3k riding on it.

16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah these are looking like a decent buy all round.

I'd say 3080 owners are kicking themselves right now, 10Gb vs 16Gb and possibly cheaper, less power at almost the same performance... lol. Next week will be very interesting.

We never got a confirmation as to which Navi Lisa showed did we? All 3 Navi 21s look damn powerful. I'm guessing it was the 6800XT but I would be surprised if it was the 6800 (a man can dream cant he?!).

335 GT likes this.
  17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Doubt it, those people were going to buy Nvidia regardless - else they'd have waited.

Just like people buying intel CPUs post ryzen2x00 release they weren't going to be convinced

18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah true but some will find limits pretty quickly especially at 4K.

I also seen someone posted in the 3000 thread that apparently the 20Gb 3080 has been cancelled, Nvidia aren't making it. Take that with a truck load of salt though.

Nethiuz likes this.
  19. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Not counting chickens before they hatch...

But, on the face of it, it's not looking great for Nvidia. A 52cu Xbox is said to be around 2080ti levels. A 64cu chip will be at least 2080ti levels. Likely more.
    Then there are 2 skus above it.

I'm just happy to see competition again and get these prices back down.
    3090 is twice what it should be.

20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Not kicking myself, I have been keen for a GPU upgrade for a long time and just managed to hold off giving into a 2080ti when they dipped. I do hope AMD can come out and swing at nvidia and even beat them though as this release was very average after the hype cleared and its clear more competition at the top end will be good for everyone.

sskmercer likes this.