AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

They baited them on RDNA pricing as well, nvidia dropped prices to the minimum they could realistically do because AMD announced a price... and then AMD was like "lol we had more margin" and dropped below nvidia's minimum pricing

2. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Heels > Leather Jackets

nCrypt, Frag and chook like this.
  3. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I don't think AMD can afford to do "nvidia" pricing, even in past, with AMD (ATI) having dominant product 9600XT, 9700PRO, 9800XT, nvidia still had better sales (from memory same thing happened with GeForce 4 aka rebadged GeForce 2), as the average Joe has nvidia in mind when it comes to GPUs...as someone else already stated here, I think they will have to do lower price even if their offering is beating 3080 to get more people interested.

4. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I'd like 3090+ performance for around $500 aus thanks. That would do me nicely.

Probably me, I did say that a little while ago. That's my guess... 3080 performance for 3070 price etc. It will still be expensive, so yes it will still be two companies charging a lot for their cards. But hopefully AMD will still be giving us more for less.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Ratzz and RnR like this.
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Sure, but I don't think anyone should realistically expect GPU prices to start coming down. The people have already voted with their wallets, and those votes say "we will happily pay huge prices for middling improvements"

al'Thor likes this.
  6. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

And that's the problem. Why would Nvidia or even AMD drop prices when it seems that people are happy to pay the extra they are charging? The only reason AMD will be cheaper than Nvidia is to try and steal back market share that they have lost by being shit for 10 years.

mesaoz likes this.
  7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Maybe we could start a petition..... ;)

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  8. chook

chook Member

Agree. Quite a few people have mentioned this possibility in the thread.

The new AMD executive team seems to have played this really clever and just pwnd Nvidia like n00bs. This is a younger photo of Lisa and the team.
    [​IMG]

9. Roger

Roger Member

I could be wrong, but it feels like the mining boom is what killed card prices, they were badly inflated from people buying up cards for mining rigs causing supply issues, and people just got used to paying the new inflated price, so when they dropped slightly once the demand dropped (though nowhere close to where they were before) people were happy that the price they got used to went down slightly.

I remember when a mid range card used to be what, $300 or less, now that same level card is over double that, and there is no reason for the vendors to drop prices unless demand suddenly fell off a cliff.

Frag likes this.
  10. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Just quietly... I think I like younger Lisa more than older Lisa.

Though I may get kicked out of the thread for saying that.

I agree, the mining boom was a fair portion of the rise. But that doesn't change the fact that people are still paying the inflated prices. If people didn't pay the prices, they would drop. Until that happens, both companies will enjoy the benefits.

11. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

If that firestrike score translates to relative performance, you might just be in luck if you can compromise to $549 USD

This just made me realise, if that is XT and not XTX. That surely couldn't be what was shown at the Ryzen event? did they show us their 40CU version? haha

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  12. chook

chook Member

Why not both?

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  13. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

To be fair... I'd be lucky to last 30 secs with old Lisa, let alone young Lisa. Both... no chance hahaha.

14. RnR

RnR Member

According to videocardz the XT is a 72 CU sku. Which is a tad sus since XT's are apparently always the full die.

Edit: Or maybe I am getting confused between the 'XT' in codename and modelname... just looking at all the sku's on wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_RX_5000_series

15. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Oh that takes me back.
    Back to a time when ATI and then AMD were spanking Nvidia.

I’m coming at your base with two rockvees and an ambo.
    You’ve got a jarmen, two scorps and a quad, what do you do? :lol:

AMD needs a great card... they’ve had a few good cards since the 290.
    But since the 290, they’ve always been let down in either performance or price and sometimes both.. A Fury Nano at $549 would have been a great card.
    A Vega 64 at $599 would have been a great card.

If they can get a GOOD Navi at the $700 range, and the best card in the world at $1200, they have a great card.

I can’t afford a ticket for the hype train, I Just want them to have a good card again because memberberrys.

chook likes this.
  16. Sunder

Sunder Member

I know right. Don't get me started on CPUs either. Remember when a top of the line CPU was $84 USD? It's $488 for a 10900k now, nearly 6 times more.
    upload_2020-10-23_11-53-39.png
    Look, nobody likes to pay too much for anything. Yes, Nvidia's stock is soaring and gross margins on hardware do tend to be huge. But at the same time, bloody hell, have you seen the marvel of engineering and manufacturing modern CPUs are? 10 billion transistors? And GPUs are? 54 Billion transistors?

They could probably knock 30, 40, 50%, and still make a gross profit, but net profit is another thing. There's R&D, management, sales, investing in engines and SDKs for developers, office admin, office higher, prototyping waste. Sure, margins might be good when there were no competition, and will probably come back down now AMD looks like a real contender. But midrange cards today aren't the same midrange card of a decade or two ago. The base cost is much higher.

Anecdotally though, last time I worked for a hardware manufacturer, the circuit board and components cost less than $2. The case and powersupply added another 10. But that was basically for the equivalent of a Raspberri Pi with some security software loaded on it. But the manuals, box, delivery, landed in Aus before anyone took a cent of profit was a bit over $100 to us. Then the manufacturer I worked for targeted a 30% gross margin on it ($30 a unit) to cover development and support costs, so we sold to the disti at $130. Then the disti needs to get it electrically and radio emission certified and takes the risk if anything goes wrong, so takes a 15% margin, retailers take stock, and have to take that risk, etc.

What looks cheap on the production line, gets pricey fast. We're not buying tiny simple ICs any more.

17. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Ya dreamin' No way the biggest die rdna2 will be cheaper than the mid size die rdna1.

Be realistic, you'd be catching not pitching, and you will last as long as Lisa says you will.

18. 335 GT

335 GT Member

You Lookin to meet me behind the shed after school? :p

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  19. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Well yes, I am dreaming. I though that might have been obvious lol.

Hmmm... if I'm catchin, then are we sure of what is going on under there?
    [​IMG]

20. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

no further comment lol