AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. 335 GT

335 GT Member

And you're not on daylight savings?

Damn, midnight here.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. RnR

RnR Member

Thats the devil's work. Makes curtains fade and cows go funny.

chook, ricmc and 335 GT like this.
  3. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

AFIK xbox OS has always been something akin to Windows Embedded - which is 99% just a very, very granular installer/configuration suite for the Windows version of the day.

There may be other differences in the final product, like it is probably compiled specifically for the exact architecture it's to run on, so the binaries may not be exactly the same at a byte level, but the code behind it afik, is exactly the same.

4. James086

James086 Member

As I understand it, ray tracing is not necessarily exclusive to Nvidia, it's implemented through DXR which is part of the DX12 API so any card with driver support can run games with ray tracing. However, AMD has not released drivers that enable that particular part of DX12. Nvidia has enabled it through drivers for the 10, 20 and 30 series but only the 20 and 30 series have hardware dedicated to accelerate ray tracing (it calls them 'RT cores') which makes it much faster so that games are actually playable. The 10 series chugs and so would current AMD cards if they enabled it. You can see what the RT cores are used for in this article, it's an interesting read and basic enough for me to follow.

AMD plans on implementing a 'hybrid solution' which to me suggests they will have some hardware acceleration and perhaps take advantage of their better compute performance for another part of the process. I'm pretty sure that we won't see titles with 'Nvidia ray tracing only' or 'AMD ray tracing only' and the titles that currently only work with Nvidia cards will work on AMD's new cards once they release.

Which one will perform better is anyone's guess. An interesting aside though is that AMD performs better the same in Crytek's version of ray tracing (which is separate to DXR) and does it all through software.

5. asho444

asho444 Member

link for this? very interested to read about it

6. James086

James086 Member

From here. Ah, I misremembered. It actually performs the same, the RX5700 is equal to the GTX1080 in normal games and also in the Crytek ray tracing benchmark. The 5700 XT is faster than the GTX1080 in this benchmark but also in normal games. I must have remembered the 5700 XT result and thought it was for the 5700.

asho444 likes this.
  7. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I look forward to getting in PLE Navi2 queue and paying whichever fucking manufacturer (AMD or NVIDIA) has stock for me first.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

I wonder how long it'll take Corsair to release their waterblock

It sucks because in the off chance stock availability is cruddy (supply, bots, logistics), I will probably preorder for launch stock but can't use the card until Corsair release a block for it haha

9. Unbanable

Unbanable Member

I just sold my 2080ti with all the hype, AMD better fking deliver else I'm gonna full rage lol!

Kookooburra and Nethiuz like this.
  10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Oh man I'm gonna bed early then set alarm.

RnR and 335 GT like this.
  11. RnR

RnR Member

There is a hype train... should have room for one more... or maybe not...

choochoo.gif

12. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I'm waiting patiently on platform 22 for my train.

Not a chance I'll be spending $1000 to play 1440/60

Beep beep. (Its a little train)

13. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

14. Digit

Digit Member

What's his name, AdoredTV on YouTube did a video called something like AMD's master plan where he speculated that being in the consoles would result in optimisations. I also thought them being in last gen consoles would have resulted in optimisations in games out now, but I don't think we've seen it, or maybe we have and nvidia would be further ahead by now???

15. lithos

lithos Member

Hopefully, seeing the Ryzenn 5000 prices for Australia, we won't got as violently sodomized with an vinegar-covered durian with Big Navi prices like we do with...well, everything else.

16. chook

chook Member

Unless of course the durian/vinegar combo is your personal preference. Just sayin'.

My AMD underdog fantasy mind is saying much the same about their pricing but I have this feel that AMD know what they've got this time so won't be lowballed.

17. asho444

asho444 Member

They were pretty weak hardware wise even at release especially the cpu, thus time they are outpacing most high end desktops on current archetecture not last gens.

18. chook

chook Member

Iteration probably. Even last gen, while not as powerful as a PC, was more powerful than previous console gens. Now that the console hardware is as good as or better we will likely see some more of the features adopted more broadly.

19. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Placeholder

20. co.VAL(esce)

co.VAL(esce) Member

lets fucking gooooooo (last amd card i had was a hd5770)