AMD Navi 2x (RDNA2) Speculation and Hype thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

There were no heels or leather jacket. I turned off and went back to my dreams :p

2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

AMD bringing that disruption to the industry they keep talking about :D It is amazing news for everyone that they are here to compete in the top end and hold nvidia accountable. The 3090 looked like an absolute pisstake to anybody who wasn't in the tiny niche that might be able to put 24gb of vram to use (without the benefit of actual titan/workstation support) and AMD are rubbing nvidia's face in it. A gaming gpu for content creators that isn't for gaming but we're marketing it to them with shiny 8k demos anyway, give me a break :rolleyes:

To go from competing with Nvidia's midrange card last gen to toe to toe at the very top the next gen. Impressive. Good to see some epic competition.

sskmercer, ricmc, FuzwaldQO and 2 others like this.
  3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

When the hype train arrives at the station and then smashes through the wall and exceeds the hype that was built :lol:

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Just watching the release video, who's the blondie? Or maybe it's just because she's talking GPU's i got excited.

Edit: ah Laura Smith

Now i know what happens when a runaway Shinkansen lands.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  5. chook

chook Member

Two sets of heels, actually. One more classy than the other:
    upload_2020-10-29_9-9-48.png
    Lisa

upload_2020-10-29_9-16-9.png
    Not Lisa

6. maxrig

maxrig Member

999USD usually equate to $2000 AUD on GPU launch products.

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I will assume...

6900XT - $1500 AUD
    6800XT - $1000 AUD
    6800 - $850 AUD

We'll that's if the dollar is 70c, and then factoring in some GST, Import Duties, Shipping
    Might need to cut off a leg to give AMD $1k on a GPU and $600 on a cpu. Not sure if PC gaming is making any sense anymore.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Most of those who shelled out that much have that much to spend and it's not likely going to be difference in performance and a few hundred dollars saved is not the end of the world.

9. chook

chook Member

upload_2020-10-29_9-27-15.png

Nethiuz likes this.
  10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I guess I need to hold off and see independent reviews but I was already tossing up conversion of 3900X/1080Ti to 5900X/3080. Might just wait and see change that to a 6800XT.

Any info on when independent reviews come out?

11. pcgamer01

pcgamer01 Member

Still an AMD product sadly.
    Bad drivers.
    Cheap materials.

But it makes me excited for the NEXT gen nvidia.
    Nvidia will push for more performance next time out of fear of AMD.

12. RnR

RnR Member

I stand corrected. They listed Microsoft DirectStorage on another slide. Seems they don't have an AMD marketing name for their pcie peer-to-peer stuff like Nvidia felt the need to do with their RTX IO.

13. anarchron

anarchron Member

Not sure why being an AMD product is a negative. Their CPUs are excellent.

I think the driver FUD is massively overblown and not many people understand the context behind it as a hardware bug that was caused by the shift from GCN to RDNA1 in Navi. I'm pretty certain that with more time given to complete the transition to RDNA2 those hardware bugs would have been ironed out by now with the drivers.

Their reference cooler isn't as good as the Nvidia FE but I'd say that they have better AIBs in the form of Sapphire than EVGA.

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

It still makes sense, but maybe not at the bleeding edge anymore.

In 2015 it cost $1500 in GPU’s to even dream of 4K gaming performance.
    Now, half a decade later, it turns out you need... about $1500 for 4K gaming performance, except you only have to buy one GPU, not 2.

I’m happy sitting here like a peasant on 1440P untill performance is reasonably priced.
    But it’s nice to dream and occasionally go batshit on expensive toys (Fury Nanos, 1080Ti VEGA 64 etc) but since the VEGA, I’m just sitting here waiting for a good price/performance balance.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

CPU's don't really rely on drivers in the same way as GPU's and its a lot easier to compare raw power.

AMD also easily pulled ahead in CPU's by just having more cores, which as we know doesn't work with GPU's as SLI/CF is mostly dead.

I have been buying video cards for 15 years, I have purchased AMD cards for the majority of that time.

The only thing guaranteed about an AMD launch is the AMD community saying that if you give it enough time, drivers will improve.

In the 11 years that I purchased AMD video cards, the only time AMD drivers ever actually improved was for the 290x family on the GCN architecture, and this was a long time after release which simply extended the life of the card, it didn't make up for the long period of time that I had the card with below average drivers.

I don't know the current state of the AMD drivers, but its pretty obvious from the patch notes that Nvidia still does a much better job of day 1 new game drivers.

But raw GPU power always wins, and we'll have to wait and see how the 6000 series goes.

16. vitagen

vitagen Member

Well done AMD, rekt Intel and NVIDIA at the same time.

I've used products from all camps equally. Will be getting 6800xt likely... Can't utilise my freesync 2 hdr capabilities with NVIDIA card.

This is definately a nerds wet dream. Lisa and Laura ....

Drizz06, Nethiuz and mesaoz like this.
  17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Apparently I didn't actually watch the presentation, I was asleep hahaha. But you just wanted an excuse to post the heels pics, so... you're welcome :D
    I would have thought around the same... maybe $1500, $1100, $900?

I'll have to go back and check my guess post from before the launch and see how close I was.
    Awww... bless your heart for trying. Never give up, little fella! :D

Drizz06, chook, fairplay and 3 others like this.
  18. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Wasn't too bad. I was a bit under with the 6800 and 6800xt pricing, but performance I was pretty much spot on. Edit: Actually... there isn't an AMD card with 3070 performance yet. Their lowest announced card smashes it, so the AMD card with 3070 performance could still come out at $500-$700 lol.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  19. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

What do you guys think of the clocks? Was expecting higher than 2250 based on the leaks, maybe there will be a bit of OC headroom

20. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Maybe they are leaving room for a 6900XTX :)