1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD new Mantle API running battlefield. Does it helps?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by puttyman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

sounds like it is, people having issues with games other then bf4

2. bobster

bobster Member

Sitting on a roll of cash waiting to see if AMD can make mantle work before the end of my holiday in 3 weeks. If they don't I will drop AMD completely for NVIDIA.

3. sjp770

sjp770 Member

You running any AMD cards atm bobster?

4. bobster

bobster Member

Nope, my MSI 270x hawk is in RMA ATM and so is my MSI 760.... Planned on 290X but.....

In the past 6 month I have had MSI 7970 BE, Gigabyte R9-290 and the above 270X was returned or RMA for coil whine that and slow driver support seriously testing me.

Mantle has a lot of potential and AMD have done well to "kind of" release this but once again riddled with issues and delays.

I think it will AMD and developers at least a year to get it right and bringout some games that will actually see some benefits from mantle. Also if Kaveri can only do 28nm I don't see AMD going the 20nm anytime soo whilst Nvidia are close to releasing Maxwell at Q2.

I think i'm shelfing AMD completely for 2014

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. smoothunit

smoothunit Member

I got a solid 4 hours with no crashes 2 days ago when 14.1 dropped and last night it wouldn't last 10 seconds before getting a white screen...

I'll try a complete driver wipe and install and see how it goes again tonight.

6. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Yeah it's really odd. At first I was running fine (60+fps) then I dropped from 60fps solid at 1600p to less than 20 then it would just lock up and go to a black then white screen. I did a wipe with DDU in safemode and the next game I was back to 60+ then BAM next game straight back to <20 and black then white screen crashes. I can only play for about 5 seconds before it screws up again.

EDIT:
    Talk about odd. I just thought I'd swap over to my other bios on the 290 and I did a restart (not cold boot) and I'm back to being able to play? So I'd be giving that a go as annoying as it is, it's still more convenient than removing and reinstalling drivers.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  7. joerandom

joerandom Member

7970Ghz edition, 14.1 Catalyst.

I uninstalled the old ones and installed the beta driver, i usually install over the top but this time did things the right way.
    Battlefield 4 no problems what so ever been playing plenty.
    Game runs smoother on Mantle then before, not heaps but a good 5fps. Apparently it's not fully optimised for the 7xxx cards yet.

8. smoothunit

smoothunit Member

I clean reinstalled 14.1 and after a few restarts have the same initial problem. Rolled back to 13.12 and all is perfect again but alas without Mantle.

9. simontifik

simontifik Member

I rolled back to 13.12 last night too. Had a couple of crash free hours on Monday but yesterday I would get to the deploy screen in BF4 and it would blackout when I tried to spawn. Even had a lock up in Civ5 which I don't think I've ever experienced. Using a sapphire 290 btw.

10. Razorz

Razorz Member

I'm giving AMD a small couple of months grace period to work out their stuff...

Currently my rig, is running everything fine.. I'm staying away from bf4 till mantle drivers are deemed acceptable, because atm I can only see problems.

I'll be sticking with my tried and true 7990 and 7970, but I'll be sticking with the previous video drivers until they sort it all out. I wouldn't give up on AMD just yet.

11. simontifik

simontifik Member

I agree I'm really happy with my 290 (well since I put a waterblock on it). Aren't having any trouble and running BF4 fine with the 13.12 drivers and DX11. The 14.1 drivers and Mantle are still in beta so I will reserve my judgement untill we get a proper release.

12. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Yep not the driver, non mantle games must just be freezing because of pure coincidence :rolleyes:

If AMD ever manage to sort out their drivers I'll rip a few 280x's out of my mining rigs to try some mantle games...really hoping they actually come through after all the hype!

13. Diode

Diode Member

Welcome back to the 90's.

It's going to be interesting to see how long the interest in mantle will last . The headache experienced with API's like Glide for 3dfx or Metal for S3 was that a games developer either chose to support one or two API's.
    In the end gamers got jack of playing the API game; this game only supporting glide, Direct 3D or Open GL. Performance was never optimised so if you were an owner of 3Dfx games run awesome with glide but if the game only supported Direct 3D then potentially the performance might have sucked compared to a different card better with Direct 3D support.

I'm just hoping AMD still plans to optimise their cards for industry standard API's.

14. ADV

ADV Member

I get what your saying. But universally accepted API's will never be as fast or as efficient as a dedicated low level pathway to the hardware (ie mantle).

There are bound to be teething problems (I'm not an apologist, Ive had my own struggles with AMD tech). But the big picture is: Console performance (& coding nirvana) with PC quality (High resolution, High poly, High Q sound).

I believe hardware compliance (DirectX is software) should have been the first decision by Microsoft, AMD/ATI and nVidia, but hasn't occurred until now. And only AMD* did it.

* They have only created mantle to claw back market share. But by asking Game Developers what they wanted, AMD made a good decision for *everyone*.

15. Diode

Diode Member

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good that AMD has made an API to talk direct to their hardware. Also unlike the 90's there really is now only two major players in the PC gamers GPU market so I think unlike the 3Dfx, ATi, Nvidia, S3, PowerVR era. Things are a lot more certain now.

It won't surprise me if ATi release a cheap APU with the equivalent power of the Xbone that takes advantage of mantle.

16. TaroT

TaroT Member

it can only hope to be as good as glide...glide ruled and so did 3dfx :) the only issue was the api back then ..direct x was crap and opengl was clunky with a big overhead.

17. clinic

clinic Member

I'm really happy with mantle plusbeta drivers. I have the occasional stuttering, but im running 80 to100fps on ultra with a 7970, so nothing to complain about really

18. BuD

BuD Member

ive had good improvements on my 280x with bf and that swarm benhcmark
    ive only had a odd glitch in another game i play with the drivers themselves

19. Diode

Diode Member

Glide is basically a subset of OpenGL. They basically cut out the overhead as you put it. Though in the later releases of hardware this subset was starting to lack the features of the full GL stack and Direct 3D.

20. TaroT

TaroT Member

don't care, it was prettier and faster than DirectX :)

but I see the straight out conclusions mantel will bring vs DirectX.
    some have already mentioned some distance view issues but from what I can see it was more a brightness bug in bf4 than an issue (from my point of view) and again from what I saw the textures looked crisper than dx especially in the game everyone plays....swarm :)

what we need is a bit more of a polished drivers and more actual games like thief to drop to give a better idea.

glide at least had a lot of the AAA titles from day one to help it along.
    I can't imagine playing UT99 in directx... but then again now playing it in dx10 mode it does make the grade.

oh well bring on the games people (or someone hack a game to run off it :)