1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Radeon R7, R9 2xx GPUs 28nm | 250 260X 270X 280X 290X | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by vid_ghost, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Geno

Geno Member

Just did some testing, with only 100mV available to overvolt these cards one caps out at 1130 core the other at 1200.

I'll be selling the dud clocker and taking my chances with another when it sells.. sigh silicon lottery!

I got P23694 with the two cards overclocked and P161xx with the single good clocking card.

I hope people will find a way to give 290's more voltage argh!

2. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah i just saw that and it is interesting the difference between yours and mine where i get the same if not a bit more praphics score at 1000 less on the core.

as for more volts you can add them if you want to do the manual command line in afterburner but you have to work out the hex and such.
    10=100mv so change that to what you want and add it to the startup and then restart afterburner.

only thing is if you have 17 i,m, not sure it won't default it, i have tested the manual one and it does go over the 100mv

3. Beaner

Beaner Member

Update on my card:

Swapped my coil whine R290X today at ITESTATE (they were OK about it, I think they have had instances of this already) for another Gigabyte R290X - new card has the whine still!!

Grrrr, however I was kind of expecting it. I am hoping to get a refund now as ITESTATE don't seem to sell any other brand. Or maybe I should just get a Nvidia.

4. starkers92

starkers92 Member

I found that my 280x got better with time..

5. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

Apparently gigabyte has the highest return rate for r9 290xs for coil whine so your in the same boat as me, im going to wait till the end of this month to see if the rumor of aftermarkets being out then or turn to the dark side and get a 780ti

6. Beaner

Beaner Member

Interesting - How much better?

7. Foles

Foles Member

Second week of December according to people that asked AMDs partners (eg. sapphire, gigabyte etc) at a recent AMD event over in the State's. A reviewer said the same on his sites forum.. You would think the partners would try get them out a bit further before Christmas, but that is the most solid sounding info I've heard thus far

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Well I tried a clean install in case it might help my Asus black screen and it didn't. Home you go to PCCG ...

:(

9. JimboJones7

JimboJones7 Member

Finally after all the issues on the weekend i got my first loop setup!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

So far it hasn't gone over 40c but that is with my dodgey fans, waiting for me new ones from PCCG.

10. master.Cuong

master.Cuong Member

It couldve of been mine although i had a 290 previously and upgraded to a 290x but since then no coil whine on the 290x. Its just a draw of luck with these cards ?

11. JimboJones7

JimboJones7 Member

Still using stock BIOS but with the block on it now i got it to 1100Mhz
    and 1375Mhz Mem. I also put my CPU upto 4.7ghz for this bench.

Not too bad for stock BIOS.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Since putting this block on though i have noticed what i believe to be Coil whine as well. The sound doesn't really bother me (especially after experiencing the stock cooler) but is it a bad sign for the card? or is it just the noise factor?

12. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Doesn't affect anything. I don't notice it now either with the headphones on.

13. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Dudes, what is the general consensus on 290x vs 290 non-x ? Close enough to the same in most situations? Or the extra dollars are worth it?

:thumbup:

14. sjp770

sjp770 Member

From the 290X side, I guess if you like big numbers? It seems they have done some magic with the 290's so if you're on a budget not particularly..

I know mine work wonders stock under water so I'm happy. Not sure if i'd want to OC to get the same results for every day stuff.

I think the real question is 2x 290X vs 3x 290's? $127 difference. If you watercool then the difference goes up by a block and a backplate.. Roughly $200 if you throw a bridge in the mix. But once again this is for top end $$.

I think we should really continue to go blue in the face waiting for Mantle to see if the 290X can pull out a decent lead for the extra dollars.

15. Frag

Frag Member

They wouldn't have hyped it up as much as they did if it did not have a significant improvement - 20-50% is what they said "officially" - I will be stoked with 20-30% which will see my BF4 fps bounce of 120 constant :)

See how we go I guess not that long to wait!

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I think around 20% is the current assumption for BF4 :)

-edit. Not to mention the increase in CPU bound FPS

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

I somehow think this is all part of AMDs plan to get nivide to put out the 780ti so they can see what the green team has left in the 780s

because we are seeing things like this
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-thermal-paste-efficiency,3678.html

looking at the crappy base plate quality and too much thermal paste, then changing it for a much better quality paste sees gaming performance on the first run LESS then 1 FPS below the referance 780ti

and then there is the r9 290 modded with the artic accelero cooler on it
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671-4.html
    47.50fps, thats higher then the reference 780ti btw

I really think we are only just scratching the surface of what this card will do and I cant wait to see what it can do with actual high quality parts, cooler and higher quality power delivery

While Nvidia have the crown atm, AMD have a volcano ticking away thats going to destroy the kingdom

18. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

From one of those Tom's Hardware articles...

Why do ASUS cards not get as much coil whine then? :confused: Or are they just as bad?

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Statistically, yes.

Hence there's never any point in picking one brand over another with reference cards, other than warranty.

Mines a gigabyte for the record , and as mentioned, no noise.

20. TaroT

TaroT Member

can someone record the noise so we can have a listen? especially someone without the stock cooler :).