AMD Radeon R7, R9 3xx GPUs 28nm | 350 360X 370X 380X 390X FURY | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by AEKaBeer, Feb 6, 2015.

1. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

50% for what model exactly? Fury, or 390x or?

Guess we'll find out soon, more interested in the pricing, if its too high I really cbf.

The one thing that bugs me with ATI though, is not having Physx, why don't people care? There's a massive difference in the image. How come ATI haven't come up with the same thing? :/

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. TaroT

TaroT Member

50 percent over a 290x
    and as for ARK I,m getting 9 fps a second sometimes when I,ve been a good boy up to 13.(that is 2560 1600 on epic bar that AA mind you)

it really needs optimising considering I can hammer out the ue4 engine shooter at 100 at the same res( lower settings of course)

also they leaked some benches where it beats a titanx !!!! in 2 things and none of which is any use since my 290x edged out the titanx in it as well with a bit of a tweak :p

but less tht a week till I spam whatever store has it till I have it in my greedy mits so back off the lot of you and go buy a 980ti...they are so much better...you really want one of them instead :)

3. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

apparently confirmed specs. for Fury-X cards. 50% performance boost over 290X. Looks like there will be 2 versions, one with 120mm radiator block other version with 3x air cooler (assuming it will be very similar to 7990).

And leaked (not confirmed) Firestrike bench. score:

Tita-X - 7989
    Fury-X - 7873
    980Ti - 7781

[​IMG]

4. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

yeah it's not running great on any card but turn down your settings ffs -_- it doesn't make a huge difference in FPS but can make the difference between playable and not. going from epic to high gave me 5fps at 1080.

5. TaroT

TaroT Member

:) no....I refuse
    I'm just downloading it again to see if the new version sorted anything.

as for the leaks yep saw the big review using 3dtoss but they are just numbers on Photoshop till next week.
    I think the biggest concern will be price.

6. Jazz

Jazz Member

Anyone going water? Or is it air all the way? I'm also worried about the reports of 4G only on release, with 8G following in a few months

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

4g only because they cant make 8g right now apparently...

8. OP
    OP
    AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I'm going to disagree with the 8GB coming in the next few months if they're using the same node for the HBM ram as the current chips are huge. Iirc the HBM is using 48nm, HBM 2 is set to use a much smaller node probably 28 or 16nm allowing for a denser stack, but that's due next year. I get the impression that "few months" means 8-9months at that time both nvidia and and are expected to announce 14nm GPUs. Either that or they come out with hybrid hbm/ gddr5 card where hbm is prioritised and gddr5 is only used when hbm is full due to the massive drop in bandwidth and gddr5's high power requirements.

9. fried_chicken

fried_chicken Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  10. fried_chicken

fried_chicken Member

Looks close. Hope pricing is aggressive.
    http://videocardz.com/56225/amd-radeon-fury-x-3dmark-performance
    [​IMG]

11. jayc

jayc Member

Don't really care about pricing myself.
    I'm interested in how well the card overclocks, especially with HBM.
    I wonder how much more we can push the HBM clocks.

12. OP
    OP
    AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

The graph is inconsistent some cards are ranked higher based on the Extreme score others are ranked higher based on the ultra score.

If it's right the 390X has a 10% performance lead on 290X, the faster memory and 50mhz bump (and probably better binning) doesn't account for that number. I'd guess the main reason is a better cooling solution, the 290X must be running the reference cooler.

13. Osir1s

Osir1s Member

I don't know I would kind of hope since we've waited so long the Fury would rival the titan but if it fits in that range the pricing is going to be critical.

14. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

The guy got some leaked numbers off 3d mark apparently, linked below the main pic on the page.

Few inconsistencies though, firstly. have a look at this one. leaked a few days before the 980ti release

[​IMG]

The 970 score has changed, went from OC to reference.
    The 390 and 390x scores are just repeated here verbatim
    The 980 ti and titanX FS:Ex numbers are different
    The graphics score reported in the graph isnt even the one in the 3d mark shot!

He quite clearly states that he doesnt know if it WCE or aircooled, so how would he know if its fiji pro or XT? Someone leaked this 3d mark link to
    him, named "Lisa?", but didnt elaborate on the cooler design, but did say it
    was XT?

Anyway, looks like classic definition of clickbait

PS, the reg 980's are both overclocked too! no ref 980

15. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

My 970 on bog stock out of the box settings with a 3770K undervolted at 4ghz just ran 11678 5358 and 2612 for the 3 firestrike tests. Physics was well down on what the CPU can run.

It is weird some of the scores that get reported when in these "comparisons". I guess my card could be classed as OC'd due to how far it boosts above reference but it will run the same benches at about 1550 mhz so a good deal more to go from where it currently runs.

All of it grain of salt stuff, and even then some sites will flog the cards with 4 x MSAA at 4K in BF4 which is just stupid as it is inefficient and unnecessary at 4K and does not at all give someone a comparison of how someone would truly run that game on a 4K monitor.

16. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

The real problem will be if the AMD drivers can keep up with the card specs .. I doubt it.

17. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yes, you'd be a bit of a die hard if you stuck with AMD having put up with their drivers..

and before anyone starts.. Not having day 1 drivers ready for a AAA game is just.. well.. catastrophic...

18. OP
    OP
    AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Have you even used them in the last 2 years? I've had a couple of crossfire hickups for specific games (ie Skyrim and Witcher 3) and 1 beta release with an overly aggressive fan profile but otherwise very little issue.

I can't say the same for the Nvidia drivers for the last 18 months. The drivers have been terrible for my 780m, a 780Ti build and 2 gtx 970 sli setups I built for mates. The issues that dog these machines include frequent artfacting, crash to desktop, blue screening when alt + tabbing out of games, audio failing to work over HDMI or DP, etc. When a driver comes out that fixes one problem another one takes its place.

Nvidia need to get back to the same principles that earned them their reputation for reliable drivers. I'm aiming to get an EVGA Hybrid 980Ti later in the year just because I haven't run an Nvidia card in my main rig (outside of a physx card) since my GTX260 but if the driver team don't get their shit together by then I'll probably just hang on to my 7970's until we're on 14nm next year and switch to whoever is fastest at the time.

19. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

can't say i remember having video card driver issues since windows 95. nvidia or ATi, and i've owned loads of each. dunno why this driver argument keeps coming up. must effect a tiny amount of people.

stop building your friends shitty PCs, they're probably going to get alienware next because of you...

20. OP
    OP
    AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

LOL :D you put a smile on my face.

The problems seem to revolve around higher end cards, anything mid to high end (280x, 960, 270, etc) from both camps seem to have zero problems regardless of driver.