1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Radeon R7, R9 3xx GPUs 28nm | 350 360X 370X 380X 390X FURY | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by AEKaBeer, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Their drivers are fine, other than maybe not having day one optimization of GameWorks games - which is really because Nvidia deliberately make it harder for AMD to do so by denying access to source code used in the games while they themselves have full access.
    But it has forced AMD's to get pretty good at reverse engineering (since they have to keep doing so in order to develop driver optimizations).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. «¥» Plump-DJ®

«¥» Plump-DJ® Member

Honestly.. my last three cards were AMDs. Never had an issue.

So lets all remind ourselves what happens if they didn't exist?

3. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

I work in / run a computer shop. Don't have any issues from either camps unless the card is faulty.

4. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

780ti for over a year and not a single driver issue that I can recall, always running latest beta drivers.

That being said I hope Amd can do well with fury as competition drives innovation and hopefully competive prices for us all.

5. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Its very simple, heres how a nvidia fanboy works

If AMD come out with a better card

1. Poor drivers
    2. To hot
    3. Doesnt come in black

And AMD fanboys when nvidia has the better card

1. To expensive
    2. I would rather pay for a BJ
    3. No free games!

6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Remind me again of the last WHQL ?

7. antenna

antenna Member

AMD posting 8k screenshots on their twitter.

Have a G1 980 Ti in my cart ready to go. :upset:

Hurry up 16th.

8. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

What's the significance of WHQL? I see it raised reasonably often.

The 'omega' approach in infrequent driver revisions was always going to be a bit of a laugh given games rely on driver profiles to make crossfire work and implement directx workarounds for lazy developers. I think there has been 4 or 5 drivers released in the last 3 months alone?

TBH the "lol drivers" is a pretty weak argument against AMD's cards unless you have something more specific than "lol WHQL"?

9. OP
    OP
    AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

The fewer WHQL releases was just a cost saving exercise. I don't remember where i read it, maybe semiaccurate, but I recall it costing around $20k per release. This includes paying MS for each windows x86 release (XP, Win7, Win8) and again for the x64 versions.

AMD are still releasing beta's at the rate of 1 per 2 months but I don't think it's unreasonable as a consumer to expect updated WHQL's every 3 months, 6 causes a lack of confidence. The next WHQL will come with the new cards just as it always does, no doubt with a day 2 patch or beta as both camps often do.

10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

$20k is nothing to these companies.

Hell, I dont even need manager approval to go spend $20k on something that I deem necessary.

11. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Well, personally, I can now play DCS World with my DK2.. With AMD, all I get is a black screen (known problem).. And I can finally run SVP (Smooth Video Project) with my TV card without it going batshit crazy after 10 minutes..

Then there was the whole frame pacing debacle (and how long that took to fix), freesync/gsync (4 freesync monitors vs 8 gsync monitors).. and the abandonment of AMD HD3D, which, incidently, is now completely useless. Tridef, the company who provides the 3D middleware app, has gone AWOL.

Plus I like the fact that I don't have to play around with settings or worse, disabling crossfire just to get a game to run..

ie,

So no.. I don't miss having to edit ini files, change driver profiles, having to put up with stuff that doesn't actually work, enjoying the quietness of dual 970s and halving my power consumption on video cards..

Having weighed up price/performance and their seemingly lack of care when it came to timely driver rollouts for day 1 releases, there wasn't much holding me to AMD anymore. And if all the rumours/talk is true that the only new card is the Fury, it's going to be a very long 18 months for AMD.. then again, maybe they have something in the pipeline for the next 6-12 months..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I played Witcher 3 with no issues from day one. 7970 Crossfire.

13. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

This seems an unlikely story for any PC gamer. There's always tweaking of settings to get the right balance between performance and eye candy. I spend days in BIOS getting the most out of my CPU and memory, hours tweaking graphical settings in games to hit the magical min FPS targets... a few extra clicks in the driver's management software doesnt seem like much of an additional burden if it yields a material benefit. I think the most complex task I've managed in CCC was forcing a different game profile to get crossfire working on assetto corsa (120fps at 5760x1080 thanks!) but that dev's record and approach to multi gpu is sub par - "we dont officially support multi GPU, recommend a single card".

Power consumption probably my favourite argument though. Multiple GPUs but worried about power draw? Really?

I know i risk coming across as a 'fanboy' myself here but i guess i just find it puzzling when someone drops into a thread about new cards which they clearly have no intention of buying and says "yeah but drivers you must be die hards if you think about buying one of these" :confused:

14. Jazz

Jazz Member

Yup, driver issues are really a non-event for me, and I have always run multi cards from each camp, although I must admit I skipped the 9XX series from Nvidia.

15. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I tend to reinstall windows every 2-3 months.. it then takes me around 4-5 hours resetting things back up to they way that they were.. NOT having to mess around with settings for a game is a bonus..

When weighing up either a 290x or a 970, power consumption was a consideration. Do I get 2 newer cards which won't get as hot or as thirsty compared to the 290x.. I plan to keep my cards for the next 3 years. My power bills have also gone up this year, so if that means I can reduce my power consumption, that's another plus.. It's probably all psychological too, knowing that my cards are consuming up to 300 watts when gaming as opposed to 600+ if i got a pair of 290s.. I take my power consumption very seriously and any new products that I buy are carefully weighed up in their power draw.. My power bill was $600+/quarter, now its gone down to $360/quarter, just by being a bit proactive in reducing consumption.

I was an amd fanboy, I liked their stuff.. but it was time for an upgrade, and couldn't/didn't want the Fury X, and with little info about any new cards coming out from AMD (usually there's some sort of leak about newer architecture but nope).. Figured it was time to take a gamble with nvidia..

I just hope that whatever the new amd cards bring, it forces nvidia cards to go down in price.. that way I can claim back any price reductions on my credit card insurance.

16. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

4-5hrs?

WTF are you doing.

A OS install from scratch should be 1 hour tops.

17. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

A vanilla Win 7 install Updated with all the patches 2-4hrs at least :thumbup: And that's installed via USB stick & onto an SSD.

Installed via DVD/Mechanical HDD add a few hours onto that.

18. Jazz

Jazz Member

I'm impressed by your commitment Vladdo, my powerbill comes each quarter and I pay it. I can honestly state that power usage has never entered my mind when purchasing a piece of computer equipment.

19. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yeah.. a reinstall of windows is 30 mins, if that..

However, I have a lot of apps that I install..

Chrome, lastpass, free download manager, display fusion, nord vpn, gog/galaxy, steam, origin, uplay, svp, prog dvb, foxtel go, drivers (sb z, nvidia, corsair keyboard, logitech mouse, logitech gaming software, play tv, MS usb dongle, oculus rift, samsung kies, sony pc companion), creative cloud (photoshop and lightroom.. lightroom takes me ages as I have to download plugins/presets/settings), msi afterburner, asus ai suite, ms office, thunderbird, total commander, remote desktop, team viewer, dcs world, illustrator, acrobat, indesign, vuescan, silverlight, ffdshow, lav filters, reclock, zoom player, irfanview, foobar, handbrake, mkv toolkit, bitdefender, anti-malware bytes..

then there's all the time reconfiguring all those apps..

20. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

Fuck, theres got to be a few of these cards in the wild now. We want the leaks!
    Verifiable of course.....