1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Radeon R7, R9 3xx GPUs 28nm | 350 360X 370X 380X 390X FURY | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by AEKaBeer, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bobbavet

bobbavet Member

I want more info on DX12 and pooling memory of dual Gpu set ups.

2. richan3185

richan3185 Member

Ars has a lowly 290X scratching at a 980Ti and better on frame times...somehow. Something is surely up with nvidias DX12 driver, and it appears AMD hardware guys must have been tearing their hair out waiting for DX12 to arrive and 11 to die....Its no wonder nvidia asked the press to trash Oxide in their briefing.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ly-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/

Haven't visited here in a while and just reading back a page or so, i got my Fury on July 25. Its a great card although i did have to replace my CPU cooler with a smaller unit (closed loop cooler now...) to fit the radiator in. Plenty of room for the rad itself but couldn't wrangle the hoses properly with giant air cooler.

oh, and it appears to be rev2 pump. To hear it gotta put face into case and against card....the occasional "bibble" noise of water is louder and its very quite.

3. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Surely a combination of Nvidia's DX12 driver needing to catch up a bit and the woeful overhead in the DX11 Catalyst drivers. 70% improvement on DX12 adds years to Hawaii's life, surely that cant be typical :shock:

4. richan3185

richan3185 Member

Hawaii at 400 dorra, nipping the heels of a 1k video card. Surely that can't be typical

5. Nian

Nian Member

Given that the US$45 for Ashes of Singularity BETA, gives you the whole game on release, I figured it was worth getting it to check the performance.

True enough, the reviews showing the FX-8370 with an R9 290X only getting an average of 32 FPS in HEAVY. Well it is sadly true. Tested it myself.
    (On high settings, MSAA-off, and at 1920x1080)

Originally, I assume that been a Stardock / Oxide game, it would have poor multi-threaded performance and so wondered if the game was using all cores correctly. Again, Sadly it is a yes, every core was maxed out for the most part.

So this begs the question.

What is causing the performance hit? An i3-4330 is getting better FPS, even the Firestrike benchmark's the FX-8370 is at least 10% faster. So I'm not too sure.

Time to overclock a bit and see what happens.

UPDATE: I overclocked to 4.4Ghz. Need to do a more serious OC, would be happy at 4.6Ghz tbh. But that will take time. Can't be bothered atmo. Either way however. I gained almost nothing. Not 1 FPS more for the extra 200Mhz I added.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  6. Bertross

Bertross Member

im getting a Sapphire HD 7990 tonight to try out. Does windows 10 provide a boost for the R7 series GPUs?

Even though the 7990 is really fast i guess more is more :)

hope my Corsair RM650watt will be enough... not overclocking and only an SSD and two HDDs in my system.

Says 498 Watts system load at 100%, i should be ok considering my usage is low and only at 1920x1200.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-hd-7990-review,8.html

my PSU - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=25306

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I was running a 4870x2 on my still current HX620 and it was fine. The 7990 pulls a little bit more but I would say at a guess that if you system is stable then there are no issues.

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

sounds good enough to me. Cheers. I wanted a 980 or 980ti but i really cant afford that kind of GPU, so i was offered this for $300 and tbh its really fast from the reviews ive seen. And im happy the 2nd GPU shuts down on idle so save power which is nice to see.

And their is no harm is trying a behemoth GPU :)

9. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Run some benchmarks please Bertie

:)

10. Bertross

Bertross Member

LOL i was waiting for you to say that :)

Burn that PSU hey! Im hoping the witcher 3 is going to run without the issues ive heard on the 7990.

Performance is great but the 2nd part of the video is my concern, mind you this was a little while ago. Ill try it out tonight :)

Should play Hearthstone and Diablo 3 just fine :p

11. TamTam79

TamTam79 Member

I've been running a 7990 for almost two years. Won't be getting off it anytime soon, by the looks of it.

12. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

:lol:
    AMD cards perform on paper, nVidia cards perform in reality.

13. Bertross

Bertross Member

LMFAO bahahahaha best thing ive read today.

14. kEv_

kEv_ Member

lol and yet all i hear lately is whining about how everyones overpriced SLI setup wont play nice with Win10 and yet my crossfire 290x's are smashing everything

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I'm holding off any planning or purchases until there is more DX12 results. If DX12 gives a significant boost to AMD it will be worth holding off to buy the best possible product for me and I have no particular allegiance to either red or green but I would like to see AMD gain some ground to keep them a viable choice.

16. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

17. datfreak

datfreak Member

18. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I don't want to see AMD disappear because I dislike the idea of Nvidia and Intel having total ownership of their markets because why would they need to innovate or do anything? Everybody loses if AMD dies.

Yes it's only 1 game but to get a considerable boost moving from DX11 to DX12 on older hardware makes me want to think there is hope and a choice for what product I choose in the future. I want to see more to see how it all pans out.

19. TaroT

TaroT Member

market share could also be because they released a very nice card then priced it out of competition...and the sheer shortage of them.

Maybe Nano will make a splash...
    maybe they will release more to shops and drop prices
    who knows.
    all I know is I'm on windows 10 with my fury x and I'm happy.

As for dx 12 just read on the Ark forum 20% complete so that I'm dying to see as dx 11 setup is a bit iffy :) to say the least....but in my opinion if they hurry up they wil be the first real dx12 game and I can see a big sales increase...hell I would any day of the week pay $25 bucks for this game over slashes of mediocrity :)

20. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

Lol snap :leet: we'll see what happens. If ATi starts dominating in DX12 I'll get one next year, but for now I'll enjoy nVidia DX11 performance