AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I never said I don't want RT.. the entire industry is embracing it.. The fact is, It's not useful on the RTX2060 and 70 , that's the only point being made - OK, I see you're personally happy with sub 60FPS to have half arsed (low) RTX effects enabled in BFV.. most people would't be.. they wouldn't bother taking a massive FPS hit.

If we were discussing 2080 , particuarly 2080ti level cards here - This would be a different discussion because the later in particular has way more than enough horsepower @ 1440p in particular, so you can enjoy RTX effects without having do dial back / sacrifice the primary rasterisation performance, and detail.[/QUOTE]
    The 20% was specifically for BFV.

Don't start twisting things and pretending "everyone said it'd be 20% faster derp derp!" so you can troll the forum later on ( like you did last time)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No need to be that generic about it.

AMD in their previous releases have exaggerated their benchmarks themselves and cherry picked specific scenarios that later turned out to basically be misleading.

There is no reason to not expect them to do the same thing. People always get their hopes up and then we find Nvidia beats them... again.

Honestly it happens so regularly I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia knew what the benchmarks were going to be before AMD released it, either that or AMD know how to price the card to disappoint.

3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

If you actually watched and payed close attention to the benchmarks and the presentation, they specifically did a best-case scenario for both sides. DX11, 12, Vulkan, etc, and used the best FPS result regardless of API in the graphs, for BOTH sides.

So.... gg?

4. chook

chook Member

I noticed that and thought it was good. It gives everyone the opportunity to represent themselves in the best possible way which takes the wind out of the argument that all the comparisons are favourable to AMD. I noticed they even had a couple of items where they weren't ahead on the graphs.

Sure, they want to put things in the most favourable light because they are in business to sell product but I don't think they made it a completely one sided affair.

5. sammy_b0i

Exactly. If all the titles were Vulkan/DX12 and AMD optimised, in the same way that NVIDIA does their benchmarks in all of their gameworks BS titles, it'd be a graph full of giant wins that wouldn't be representative of real world use.

The fact that they have graphs showing places where they lose is the proof of that.

6. maxrig

maxrig Member

Problems is that the majority of AMD favoured games are in their slide presentation and real world gaming benchmarks favoured Nvidia GPU majority of the times. I don't think that 5% faster than the RTX 2070 in their presentation will get them over the line once reviewers do their 30+ games benchmarking.

bart5986, Court Jester and Nian like this.
  7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

correct and showing a game where its obviously RTX is on and claiming 22% is just misleading

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

ASSUMING RTX is on. As we don't know.

9. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

so the other games are +/- 5% and this outlier that supports RTX just happens to be behind by about the same performance hit that RTX has

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

this stinks of BS and the truth will be revealed shortly -- this is a dog of a card and no window dressing can fix that

10. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

he cant explain apex legends away with that one now can he now........

except for the ones that aren't..... but you know........

but just to put it beyond doubt that you are in fact a complete fuckwit.
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/tech-preview-radeon-rx-5700-and-5700-xt-(navi),5.html
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1746-battlefield-5-gpu-performance/
    RX 2070 = 96
    vega 56 BFV avg = 86
    5700XT over V56 = 129%

extrapolated 5700 XT perf 86 X 1.29 = 111 fps

111 / 96 = 1.16

oh look right around where they said it was.....

dukkie, chook and sammy_b0i like this.
  11. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I think he's really upset that Intel is now the underdog and AMD is catching up to Nvidia.

sammy_b0i likes this.
  12. sammy_b0i

[​IMG]

chook and Elyzion like this.
  13. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah I think that they're conscious of the general commentary around the "AMD hype train", and even though it's mostly been driven by the die hards, have been trying to avoid feeding it too much directly. (In terms of unrealistic expectations anyway). I mean, Ryzen 3000 is looking great, but there are people disappointed because the "leaks" were too optimistic.

I think the problem is that even though Nvidia may go full blown retard with their comparisons, ultimately they do deliver a better option to gamers specifically at most price points, and their mindshare is off the show now. The number of 1050Ti chips that got sold to gamers compared to the top end RX cards is proof of the mindshare component, that card is junk.

14. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

BFV is a modern title that leverages async compute, Navi has improvements to async processing. The significant performance difference could be due to this, or other changes to the architecture that this game happens to clutch on.

15. chook

chook Member

Lisa Su is a different CEO to the AMD of old and seems much more focused on margin and the reality of being a publicly traded company. Reality rarely (never?) manages to align with the ride on the hype train and unless every single Ryzen CPU did more than 10GHz on all cores, all the time and cost $1 AMD were screwed trying to get a ticket on the train. I also agree that much of the problem is mindshare. It always reminds me of this video from many years ago:

macktheknife and Perko like this.
  16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

i guess we will see when we get proper numbers not AMD's fairytale

17. Blightor

Blightor Member

Its just depressing what has happened to the market. Greatly dislike what is going on with this new AMD mid-low range graphics card price point.

When we last dropped die size, from 28nm to 16nm, Nvidia released the top spec card (GTX 1080) for 499 USD.

After the mining boom, even though manufacturing costs have only been decreasing, they release the next lineup with a 2080 (I'm not going to compare Ti) at $799! One might say that they increased the die size size to 545 mm2 from 314mm2, which is fair more mm means more wafers which means just a greater outright base cost. Its probably a wee bit TOO high even with those considerations, but I guess that's what you can do with a _dominant_ market lead.

And now, AMD, dropping from 14nm to 7nm, release a relatively lowrange card (for 7nm) at what is close to what the cost of a top of the line card was just 3 years ago - these things are 251mm2! Even the performance increase is, considering what pure physics allows with a die drop, underwhelming.

The costs to produce these babies would be incredibly small, and yet here we see AMD pricing the baseline of the next lineup far outside of the usual die drop step. For mine, this is worse than what nvidia did, its locking in a VERY EXPENSIVE looking lineup of 7nm parts for both AMD and nvidia, as what desire is there for nvidia to release a properly priced die drop model (as they did with the 680, and 1080, in the past).

Why would nvidia bother to bring out ampere at reasonable costs. We have entered a new paradigm in GPU pricing. Sure nvidia is a bit to blame, but i'm my mind its is AMD that just killed any chance for the kind of competition that benefits us as consumers as we enter the next die generation.

18. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

My 1080 ti purchase for less tha n $1000 aud brand years ago new seems like a real bargain as I bet this new amfail card still wont touch it for performance and ive had years of use out of it.

19. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Why wait for reviews when I can be angry now?

RnR, chook, sammy_b0i and 3 others like this.
  20. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

If the cards are selling, they'll price them for as much as they can. From a consumer point of view, this does benefit us somewhat as well as the more money they have the more they can spend on product improvement.

For both Nvidia and AMD, if their products aren't selling they will lower the price. If they are... then why would they...? If either Nvidia or AMD feel that they could generate more revenue by decreasing the price of their cards to sell more, or to sell their product in lieu of the competition, they will.

TL;DR: They can always just lower the price if the cards don't sell...

It seems like a bad time to buy a GPU right now anyway. I'm happy to ride Pascal for a while longer.