AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. asho444

asho444 Member

Well my 5600xt gaming oc bit the bullet last week. Corrosion began near one of the power connectors, I really hope umart give me a refund as prices have dropped so much for everything else.

2. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Corrosion?

Got a photo?
    If it's on the board it's probably a dry solder joint and those things suck too. You can fix them easily enough but they never disappear.

3. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I had an issue with corrosion on one of my GPU's once, I think it was from condensation over time from a humid environment. The corrosion was bridging the contacts on some SMDs and I started having artefacting issues, all it took was a dry scrub with a toothbrush and it was back to normal.

4. asho444

asho444 Member

no i didnt, the tech at the shop found it while i was handing it over.
    yea while its under warranty im not touching it with anything that might void it ha ha.

also a bloke here is selling a 1080ti for the same amount i paid for this card so i hope i get a refund asap.

335 GT likes this.
  5. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

could be flux residue left on the board after a half-assed cleaning attempt. the water based fluxes that get used these days can absorb moisture from the air, not great to be left on your computer components

6. RnR

RnR Member

7. asho444

asho444 Member

fucking card is dead again! no display barely a week back from RMA.
    what are my chances of asking for a refund you think?

8. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Good.

You can request a replacement or a refund. Get the refund and buy a 6xxx
    If it's a dry solder joint, this will continue to randomly fail. You can repair them by reflowing the joint but it's never permanent.

9. asho444

asho444 Member

I honestly have no idea what the issue is. apparently they fixed it last time with a BIOS update . . .
    I was sceptical to take it home but it certainly worked . . . for 8 days
    Nah annoyingly i need an nvidia GPU as i managed to pick up an X34 for a steal!

10. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Either way you are fully entitled to ask for a refund. It's your choice not theirs.

11. asho444

asho444 Member

sweet, Ill follow up with a phone call soon. I'm hoping the fact i want to purchase another card instead will sway them my way as the money stays in shop.

335 GT likes this.
  12. asho444

asho444 Member

Apparently they wont make a commitment until they have spoken to umart :( gonna have to follow up after I drop the card off. So annoying

13. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Who are you talking to?

You should be dealing with Umart if that's who you bought the card off.
    Your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer.

Many years ago I had a few week old 9800xt that had a failed fan. Nvidia had just dropped the 6800 ultra and I asked ple if I could have a credit to go to the new card. No problem.

asho444 likes this.
  14. asho444

asho444 Member

talking to Umart customer service, Finally got through to one of the Warranty guys who stated if i can get them the card ASAP to be assesed she would push to get a refund asap which is great!

Cheers for the help

15. asho444

asho444 Member

And the card I wanted to replace it with just went out of stock in sunny Coast :upset::upset: really don't want to get a shit card again, maybe it's worth the 2 day wait.
    i know this is a little of topic of the thread but given i have a gsync monitor. what do you boys reckon?

Asus 2070 Mini for 599
    or
    Galax 2060 Super Gamer 1 click oc for 569

only have a small amount of room in the F1 suppressor, im leaning to the 2070 as its slightly faster and ram can be oced +2000 which i think would help at 3440 x 1440

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Anything less than a 2070super or 2080 will be a step backwards (as long as you're comfortable with that)

edit: sorry just saw you have a 5600xt, 2060super and 2700 are so close in performance it's hard to compare them

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  17. asho444

asho444 Member

still pushing for a refund, the customer service rep has been great, now just waiting on warranty team to OK the refund or if they will send it away for repair.

I have already stated i will not accept *flashed Bios* as a fix and will not acept the card in that state.

hoping to squeze a 2070 super in with the refund but this Thermaltake F1 is a tight sumbitch

mesaoz likes this.
  18. 335 GT

335 GT Member

That's your choice not theirs.

YOU have the choice of repair, replacement or refund once your item has been found to be faulty.

19. asho444

asho444 Member

Only for major faults, I'll wait to hear back about the verdict from gigabyte before I pull out the accc card, I have already notified them I will not be accepting a repair as the last one failed within a week. Which I guess counts as a fairly major fault.

Just such a slow process :(

20. nope

nope Member

Pretty chuffed these caught up to a 3070 and 2080ti in Valhalla