AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

The 1080 was 599/699(Founders) USD

Do you have any data, or sources for wafer costs, yields and development costs to tape out 251mm2 7nm chip (Currently) to justify the claim the cost to produce would be "incredibly small"

I'll give you a hint - Overall, likely more than the 320mm2 16nm $599/$699 GTX1080 you used as a baseline was. The chip is not much smaller, The wafer costs are much higher. And The costs to Tape out are somewhere around Double that of 16/14nm.

2. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

haha this made me laugh. Why are people getting so worked up over this launch. I bet the same people were perfectly fine with the 20xx series launch price

jimbogimp and sammy_b0i like this.
  3. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

i think youll find many weren't fine with teh 2xxx series launch price

and we were told 1080ti performance @ $250 USD

fark why do I watch Adored TV he has gotten nothing right -- kinda like OJR here

bart5986 likes this.
  4. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

adoredtv has a woeful track record. Hes no better than wccftech as far as accuracy goes, imo.

1080ti for 250 was a massive pipe dream. He did himself and AMD a huge diservice for sprouting that nonsense. But people only have themselves to blame
    if they got their hopes up

mAJORD likes this.
  5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

lol yep I knew it was 100% BS when I heard it just found it amusing how so many others though swallowed it hook line and balls and all

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Well in that case, the 3080 will be 4x the performance of a 2080Ti for $199 USD on launch.

I expect your whiny man-child rant on release. I obviously can't be wrong, and therefor the product is DOA if it's anything but that.

7. Blightor

Blightor Member

Actually yes you are right, it didn't fall to 499 until the Ti came out. Sorry.

Wafers data and yields - I dont have really hard stuff - you problably know most of the bits, but they were modeled at around 66% more than 14ff (icknowledge), and TSMC have stated that the EMF hase been reducing faster than any other node they have worked on which signals good yields. I think the problem has been speed, but I think a lot more capacity has come online this year, so its probably less of an issue.

The practically one time tape out costs are almost irrelevant.... We arnt talking small bit players here, and of ALL the players, AMD have locked in contracts with sony, ms, and google to design and produce this chip.

This price position is all about being _just_ cheap enough to ensure they are better performance at the same pricepoint. While I'll agree the lisa's grand speech about technology leadership was accurate with ryzen, its not true at all with navi. But you know, perhaps that pricedrop is just around the corner for when they finally throw that Radeon 7 garbage, and release the rest of the line.

8. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Except he didn't, that was lowdog exaggeration. His original leak was a suggested price of $250 for slightly faster than rtx 2070 performance, with 8gb of gddr6. Performance was pretty much right on where 5700xt has ended up according to AMD (reviews to confirm), price of course was completely wrong and surprised everyone. I think you're exaggerating there, wffctech is on another level of crap, no attempt to even filter/analyze what's plausible and what's not.

Back on speculation front, Moores Lore is dead speculates that AMD prices are to lure nvidia into a price war with their current pricing that AMD can then easily outdo once they've finally cleared vega stock etc.

RnR likes this.
  9. maxrig

maxrig Member

If you have 3 or 4 BS leaks you're bound to get something right. AdoreTV is a fake, I would guess the leaker is himself to get clickbait video.

10. Blightor

Blightor Member

Moores Lore is dead - "Then Vega sold 10 times more than fiji, and its not just because of miners guys, its because of features ..."

Hehehe. Man what a wast of talent - he should be on comedy central, not youtube.

11. chook

chook Member

I hadn't seen this channel before but have watched few since they have been linked in various threads here on OCAU. The theories he puts forth are quite interesting; not going to buy in and take them as gospel but they provide good information to consider.

12. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

13. maxrig

maxrig Member

I'll have a guess, If 100 Vega gpu sold , 99 were miners and 1 will be gamer. Vega is a turd.

14. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

You forgot about MI, vega has been AMD's first really successful DC GPU.

15. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I like that the XT's cooler looks like it's already partly melted from the factory, that way if it actually melts, no one will notice anyway.

I'm more interested in what super low end RX 5000's can do. Keep it under $500.. I'm sick of 5970's, 7990's, R9 Nano's, RX Vega 64's etc. all of which were ridiculously priced..

16. Azzan

Azzan Member

17. RnR

RnR Member

For all the back chat from nvidia fans about the failed predictions by the AMD commentary industry, they sure like to dabble in this stuff themselves ;)

18. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

You really are a petulant little child aren't you?

mAJORD likes this.
  19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

Navi is 100% dead before arrival especially if these super cards live up to the hype-- unless there is another mining boom

Azzan likes this.
  20. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

If you define "almost irrelevant" as being hundreds of millions of dollars, sure. It is spread across Sony, MS and Google, but they also require customisation and the margins are fractions of what they can charge at retail. I'm sure if you buy a few million dies you'll get a good deal too.

I think it's called capitalism! Everyone in every market, everywhere, does it.