AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

and he won an election all had wrote him off from winning ;p

so there is that

AMD may come back but I dont think so, they are bareley managing to keep the lights on over there

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

From everything I have read and watched on Navi, it doesnt bode well. Just well overpriced for what it is. I cant see me buying one for my second PC which I was planning too unless it drops significantly in price.

nope likes this.
  3. Digit

Digit Member

You're clearly unaware of Zen2

4. RnR

RnR Member

upload_2019-6-15_21-59-39.png

Just got the gong for the best CEO in the world. Not bad :)

mAJORD and nope like this.
  5. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. Perko

Perko Member

Heh I wonder how Stardock and Rebellion feel about being so close to each other on the graphic.

Good to see that it looks like they're partnering with studios properly again.

I agree that it looks like a poor value card on the face of it, but surely we'll be waiting for benchmarks before busting out the pitchforks and screaming fanboi slogans into the void.

Right?

Oh.

7. nope

nope Member

navi is another dud like vega and polaris that doesnt scale well over certain cu/power/clocks
    ill wait for true next gen arch as rdna still seems to be holding close to GCN

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Citation?

9. bobsled

bobsled Member

Don’t hold your breath. CJ and Meth Coast spool the Bullshit Generator 3000 (TM) regularly.

10. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Well, all signs are pointing towards it being a total fail...it won’t outperform nvidia’s 2+ year old cards and it’s highly questionable whether it’ll be good value in the mid range

What happens when the SUPER cards come out? These will just get crushed :/

Court Jester likes this.
  11. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I'll buy an AMD video card next got nothing to do with being the best if it's close enough..... It's actually good enough.....

Really some of AMDs cards are so close its depends how you spin the narrative, no they aren't super high end but were not talking half the performance in their price segments either, that's what makes this discussion such a joke, getting so hung up about COMPETITIVE cards lol!

Yep I'm a fanboy but at least ill admit, always liked an underdog.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  12. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

A bit tired of hearing this. Even Nvidia's own cards all the way up to the 2080 barely outperform their 2 year old 1080Ti. Thats the real reason they had to release the 2080Ti at the same time - so they would have a card in the market faster than their 2 year old offerings. In the past the 2070 would have outperformed the 1080Ti and the 2080 would have been at 2080Ti performance levels at a minumum. The Super cards are just insulting to early adopters that supported Nvidia and an exercise in gouging.

The AMD cards look like they will perform where they have been designed to perform - in the midrange. SUre I want to see a top end RDNA card and even have some hope we may eventually see one before I die of old age but please stop pretending AMD have released a card they say is for the top end and cant perform when it is performing exactly as they have always said it would. (leaving price alone as none of the manufacturers are using lube on us at the moment)

Peoples expectations have just been tarnished by the leaks from Adored and others so that expectations havent been met and there is resultant Butt-hurt. Get over it. Wait for real number from independant reviewers and buy or not. As my favorite Meerkats say - Simples!

Metora, Digit, dukkie and 1 other person like this.
  13. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Why is it unreasonable to expect that AMD can match 1080ti performance? It seems more like they’ll match 1080 performance (literally a 3 year old card)....Then again, we’ll see when real benchmarks come out I guess, I’m just not holding my breath

Then the pricing - now that is a legitimate concern. Nvidia cards are a better package. The advantage of AMD is usually just raw price/performance for people who don’t care about the extra bells and whistles. Again, I’ll wait for release pricing and performance before drawing conclusions but at this stage it certainly doesn’t look good.

2080ti early adopters - who cares? They knew what they were getting in to. I decided to wait a generation as I didn’t feel the cost was worth the upgrade over my 1080, for me personally. Other people decided it was worth it for them. The 2080ti super seems like it won’t be released for a while after the rest of the super range anyway so those who bought 2080ti could have had the top card for well over a year.

2080ti pricing can be partially blamed on AMD anyway - they haven’t provided anything even remotely near the same ballpark of performance so nvidia can get away with anything at the high end

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

You could get away with citing other influences for AMD's stronger performance in the early years of her leadership, but in 2019 it's a bit hard for anyone to deny her success.

I think she's in a short list there, not outright winner

Reduce the price?

You realise the rumoured super are just fully enabled Turing parts?

15. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Are you serious, look at the damn die size/transistor count. You know there are both bigger and smaller navi's to come. This is a 2560:160:64 part and it's a few % points faster then NV's 2304:144:64 part and yet you post the dribble that you do...........

Navi's pricing is crap, but so is this "NV's a better package" , AMD drivers have been better then NV's for a significant period. All the ML features for gaming NV promised are MIA and NAVI is still cheaper. If NV choose to lower prices ( i hope they do) i would expect AMD to lower by the same amount, they certainly have the margin to do so with the way they priced Navi.

Sipheren likes this.
  16. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

If AMD at any time had made a claim that they would outperform a 1080Ti I would 100% agree with you. Others made that claim not AMD - AMD have always said the cards would be pitched at the 2070 performance and pricepoint. They have done this.

I fully agree that it would nice to see a high end AMD card and according to them (and their roadmaps) we will get that in 2020. I will also be righteously indignant and upset if it fails to perform against Intel and Nvidia cards at that time.

Would it be great to have those cards now - of course. Is it going to happen - No - and its not going to happen because AMD cant produce that level of card on its new architecture at the moment. I want my Isuzu to perform the same as a V6 Amarok - also not likely to happen. The difference though is that Isuzu will never produce a vehicle at that performance level. AMD just might enter the high end again and might do it in 2020 if they are able to stick to their roadmaps (looking at you Vega)

ANyway the main point of my comment was that the remarks about AMD not even matching 2-3 year old cards are stupid as they arent trying to and it totally ignores that Nvidia havent exactly set the world on fire with the generational performance increase they handed us this time.

Compare the cards against those they were designed to compete against (once benchmarks are available), accept that the pinnacle of speed from Nvidia isnt going to be matched by AMD this time around and compare some of the new features of both. Maybe then the discussion will move to a more useful, interesting and reasoned place

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

lol
    enjoying that 1800 dollar card? No? irrelevant to me i'll never pay that much for a pc component.

...my biggest and stupidest splurge on a graphics card was the x800xt back in 2003...or 2002 whenever it was exactly. around 750$ aud - the aud to usd was crap (about 1.5 aud to 1 usd at the time) ...which inflated to 2018 dollars is $1,075 ish

then 500 (aud - so closer to the 700 mark in today's terms) dollar cards in sli and crossfire (all of which were sold) come to think of it i dont have the x800xt so that must have been sold too.

gtx 480..which is rusting in a box. overpriced abortion of a card.

...and since then ive been slowly getting cheaper and cheaper near the bottom of the price hierarchy. :D that 300-500 aud price-point is where i'd see the value options for me. i would have got an rx570, but at the time i was barely able to afford the 175$ for the 1050 :lol: beggars cant be choosers

===
    looking retrospectively, the depreciation due to performance jumps was massive. in the 90's and naughties.

now look at it :lol:

18. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

also the super cards wont be 7nm -- NVIDIA will simply CRUSH AMfail like the cockroaches they are WHEN they go to 7nm as they are beating them with 2 year old cards on 16nm tech currently

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

They have not release much faster than the 1080ti in tha time simply because they didnt HAVE to

why compete with yourself there is no other competition they are getting the most out of the design / r&D cost that were sunk into it as AMD cant compete in this space so why would nvidia compete and make their own product irrelevant

Im sure if vega got close to a 1080ti we would have seen much faster cards much earlier,

20. Sledge

Sledge Member

happens all the time unfortunately :(