AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well that makes no sense. Thanks for the tip though I'm sure plenty can use it

2. asho444

asho444 Member

Was very weird, but the Radeon overlay was reporting something like 9.1gb vram used was very wierd

RnR and vladtepes like this.
  3. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Any Sapphire owners tried out Trixx Boost yet?

Pretty sweet results being posted around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will work on the reference cards as well to the best of my knowladge :)

Download link is here: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/software

RnR and Bertross like this.
  4. zxzxzx

zxzxzx Member

Sooo, I'm kind of an idiot. I bought a 5700 XT assuming it'd be plug and play, but apparently my PC is too old? I've got an Asus Crosshair IV Extreme motherboard which is PCIe gen2 and pure legacy boot - card works fine in BIOS but just a black screen when trying to boot from any kind of device. Tested on a P55 motherboard which is pure legacy as well and got the same result. Unfortunately, I don't actually have a UEFI board to test. Anyone here have a Navi card that works with legacy boot?

Just wanted to add that the card works fine in games and rendering stuff as a secondary card if I put another GPU in the first slot.

5. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Hey zxzxzx - I've been using my 5700xt in a old x58 (BIOS no uEFI) fine - booted first time

Mines a HIS stock card for ref

6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Anyone else get a driver crash/lockup when they set +50% power limit? Doesn't seem to auto manage itself as well as nvidia 10/20 series

Was hoping after putting it on water I could max the power limit and just let it do it's thing

7. zxzxzx

zxzxzx Member

That's interesting. Maybe Asus didn't bother with legacy support in their vbios. Any chance you could send me a dump of your vbios from GPU-Z?

8. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

noticed Techpowerup didn't have my card listed so I uploaded the BIOS for you (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214086/214086) and everyone else

My card is quite and quick and will regularly boot to 2ghz with %50 power and everything else stock.

this is the card I purchased (https://www.ple.com.au/Products/636560/HIS-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-8GB-GDDR6)

zxzxzx likes this.
  9. zxzxzx

zxzxzx Member

10. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Admire your courage with P55 platform & 5700XT, about a decade apart in tech! :)

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

gpu temp hovering around 57c under full load in a pretty warm room with a 50mv undervolt and sitting just under 2ghz. Ram oc'ed to 920/14,700

2100mhz doesn't seem realistic for my particular board, setting power limit above 20% seems to cause issues.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    RnR likes this.
  12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

bit of an update after running my ref card on watercooling for a week, It's been rock solid with these settings

1998mhz core
    14720mhz mem
    -50mv
    +22% power limit
    Temps never go above 57c with low pump speed even after 4 hours of streaming wolfenstein 2

General feelings in gaming, performs very very well in IDTech engine games (Doom, wolfenstein) and Frostbite games (Anthem, BFV), significant FPS boost in Overwatch over my old 1080.

Pretty happy with the card overall, would like to be able to max the power limit to +50% but the driver crashes when I do this which is kinda lame, maybe a drive or vbios problem (running latest vbios on the gpu)

I plan to do some back to back synthetic gpu benches on the weekend to compare against stock figures and I might try to eek another 50mhz out of the core

(Also I'd pretty stoked if next years navi cards happen to support my water block... fat chance haha)

edit: I've bumped the clock up to 2,048mhz and it's been stable with synthetic benches. Left the undervolt in place and increased power limit to around +25%

Target clock is set to 2100 so the power limit is leaving a few mhz on the table

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  13. RnR

RnR Member

Moar rumours....

:weirdo:

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  14. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

better end up with HBM and not the DDR peasant shit.

terroristone likes this.
  15. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Nice 80cu big navi :)
    That said if the rumour is true of no raytracing at all on big navi I think that's a bad move given PS5 and xbox scarlet is pretty much a given for 2020 and have navi ray tracing. Also comparing to Nvidia it's easy enough to justify a 5700xt not needing ray tracing given a 2070/super really doesn't have the grunt to do ray tracing at 1440p, but a 2080ti has usable raytracing for some games.

16. d_prac

d_prac Member

Well that depends on implementation.

If AMD just use a method that uses the compute power of their cards then it could be rolled out later.

17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Sounds like nvidia spreading that 'rumour' to encourage people to buy RTX products lol... #tinfoil

We know RDNA 2 has ray tracing capability (ps5/'20xbox), why would the next set of desktop cards not be using it

Vega56 supposedly was already capable of basic ray tracing too, so it could be that AMD are working on a way to use CU's and a software render to do the job anyway. It'd actually be pretty funny if AMD added ray tracing support to their product stack retroactively

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  18. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I'm interpreting it's because 5800xt/5900xt rumoured to be this year or early next year release and are basically RDNA 5700xt design but more cores. Likely they had them designed and done 6 months ago, but delayed release to wait for better yields and fab capacity. PS5/Xbox scarlett are more like later next year release, more time to develop RDNA2. Of course this is all rumours until we see the actual product.

Don't see why AMD couldn't do what nvidia did with RTX on pascal (albiet slow fps), it's just a question of whether it's actually usable or not.

19. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah I see RT as being part of RDNA2. And AMD still wants to push some new gpu's out for xmas or early next year, just to keep their driver writing teams busy :p

20. spank36

spank36 Member

What are everyone's thoughts on a reference 5700 @ $469. Seems like a good price to me, especially flashed to a 5700xt and undervolted...