AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Don't worry.
    I have a high end asus 290x that has run at 95° for the 8 or so years I've had it.

As mentioned AMD probe their temperatures differently, that is from the hottest part of the die and I believe they are safe until they hit 115°.

You can ramp up the fan speed in the driver to run it at a lower temp or conversely I think that card should have a physical bios switch which should allow it to run a bit cooler at reduced clocks.

nope likes this.
  2. nope

nope Member

yeah i dont miss the temp issues my 290 390 390x and 56 had AT ALL
    i really hope RDNA2+ next year is alot cooler considering the current big navi is going into the XseX this year

3. Zarok77

Zarok77 New Member

looking at some youtubers reviews and can see that all the reference running at 85c plus, I was freaking out at first because the XT bios was loaded from before. It would be good in winter to have a little heater in the kids room :D

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

temp on the die isn't equal to thermal output, it's still only pulling 180-190 watts, less if you've put it back on the non xt bios

5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I remember putting little tin cupcake with a bit of water on a K6-2 and watching it bubble.

No harm done.

335 GT likes this.
  6. nope

nope Member

harm done when u have a 300 watt space heater kek i cant stop sweating even with ac on

7. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

I’ve done the stupid thing and bought the ASUS tuf rx5700xt before looking at the reviews and finding out the memory junctions are running at 105 degrees. Anything I can do to return or exchange it? Bought from scorptec two weeks ago.

8. RnR

RnR Member

Maybe try taking your furry suit off... :p

9. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

That sucks. I would have though the outrageous price of the ASUS would have been enough to put anyone off. Even their price for the reference card was ridiculous.

10. nope

nope Member

a wizard never takes off his cape

11. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

i would have thought ASUS wouldn't stuff up. anyway it was $649 new so i guess not that bad.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Asus used to be my go-to of choice, but I think they've been dropping the ball in recent years.

I've always preferred their BIOS on motherboards, but they've cranked out some pretty crappy motherboards of late. The last GPU I bought off them was a Poseidon 1080Ti, I really liked that GPU but no experience with any of the newer ones.

I like the Sapphire Nitro+ cards a lot too, had a few of those. Were I to be buying today I would go with a Nitro+ 5700XT, if it would fit in my case, but IF I do go with a new GPU anytime soon its likely to be a Red Dragon. I'm not really an MSI fan but its the best (AMD) card I can fit in my case, and I'm sticking with an AMD theme for now.

Hopefully 5950XT comes soon. If Asus do a dual fan version I'll be interested.. after reading reviews of course :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  13. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Right, I forgot about the TUF, I thought you were talking about the Strix OC which was $829 at one point, but I see that has come down to (a still too expensive) $769. Mind you I think the Strix was also underwhelming in reviews.

14. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I would put it into a hot case (case with bad airflow) and run TSE benchmark indefinitely to cook the GDDR6 so the card can artifact early, it is Asus fault anyway. :Paranoid:

For me I just do not understand why Asus does not offer any RMA service for those affected by this, XFX is replacing their THICC coolers and MSI is providing RMA program for Evoke owners while Asus is doing nothing :thumbdn:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    335 GT likes this.
  15. RnR

RnR Member

Looks like AMD just got handed a nice windfall. Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed until September. Which I would expect to be a rough release window for rdna2 products.

tunksy and the_antipop like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Very true, as well as the next gen consoles. AMD hardware will be launching left, right and centre.

17. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Yep.

And if asus baulk then threaten them with the accc.
    This card is clearly not fit for purpose.

Another option might be to email that Steve guy from hardware unboxed. I think he helped some strix owners after that fiasco.

It will be a long time before I trust asus again.

18. nope

nope Member

no problems with nvidass drivers here

19. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

No problems with amd drivers here. Oh no now we have two worthless opinions that cancel each other out. Now whats the internet to do!!!!

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Opposite of what you were saying back when you got the gigashite