AMD Radeon RX5000 Series - First "Navi" Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by the_antipop, May 27, 2019.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

again your wrong and you will be proven so in a very short ampount of time

this card simply wont be 25% faster than a 2070 I actualy think it will generally perform worse in most games apart from 1 - 2 titles that generally are AMD friendly

Nian likes this.
  2. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I’ve never owned an AMD processor or gpu before. But moving to 3900X/5700XT.

If this is the list of things I’m missing out on then I’m making the right choice.

1. Don’t need emulators.
    2. I have an expensive dell 1440p monitor for photography which isn’t perfect for gaming but good enough. No desire to upgrade monitor anytime soon.
    3. Who caressss VR is still so far away from even thinking about.
    4. Lol
    5. Lol there’s like 4 games that support it. And the drop in performance for the little graphical gain is not worth it at all. Ray tracing will matter in 4-5 years when I care to upgrade again.

3. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/14527/IMG_20190610_152740.jpg

Equal GFX settings using whichever API performs the highest for the respective GPU's. Given the new CU architecture ( yes it is quite different basically is the super SIMD patient people thought vega would be) we will likely see solid perf improvements as the compiler/drivers improve.

4. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I'm one of those gamers, for me, planning on dropping some cash soon on a new PC with something in the 2070-2080 area of performance. That extra $50 I could potentially save on Navi is $50 more I can spend on the CPU which will make more difference to me than RTX ever will as I use my system to power applications for work as well as gaming. I don't care about modern emulators, I've never used or plan to invest into VR, physx? Huh? I can play RTX games just fine with RTX-off, even if I had an RTX card I wouldn't use it as it hits the frame rate, I prioritize fps over image quality and effects.

Currently gsync doesn't play nice with my monitor setup, which may change but it might not, I won't be changing my setup anytime soon, or at least for the time I would expect to hold onto a new card. So freesync might be handy.

Navi brings competition and options to that area of the market, even if I don't choose AMD I might end up getting an Nvidia card cheaper than I could pre-navi.

I wouldn't be alone, we do exist.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. RnR

RnR Member

I think raytracing will matter in 2021 when both Sony and Microsoft next-gen consoles have launched as they both will have raytracing support builtin.

I think there are some nice benefits to the 5700XT if you are screaming for an upgrade. RTX fron nvidia is not enough at either the current implementation, (the Super versions are rumoured to have more RTX tensor cores), or software support.

Post next-gen console release though, it will be a brand new game.

6. chook

chook Member

Well, of course you can just go into the settings and modify the draw distance so the buildings do render. Right? Right? Am I right?
    [​IMG]

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

for BF V to be 22% ahead RTX must be on considering all other titles are low single digits or behind seems like a dirty trick AMD is playing again there will be zero chance this in a like for like comparison is 20% ahead

8. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

I hate rumors like this, NV spec everything based off register file bandwidth ( amount of int, FP, tensor, RT) adding more cores wont bring more performance, they would need to add more Shader modules.
    Also really doubt NV would spend 100's of millions making slightly better SOC's then the current turing SOC's. They will just use the general improved process performance, to up clocks or reduce disabled parts etc.

9. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

There are other games that are that far ahead that they demo'd but didn't list on that slide like apex legends........ So why dont you provide some actual data to support your position for once.

10. maxrig

maxrig Member

According to Tim at HardwareUnboxed the RX 5700XT is 5% faster than the RTX 2070 with mostly heavy favoured AMD games. I'm guessing the RTX 2070 will be around 5% faster than the RX 5700XT once they benchmark 30+ games. Why would any muppet buy an RX 5700XT over the RTX 2070? Navi is so underwhelming that Nvidia is not going to bother to reduce the price of the RTX cards. It's another Vega 64 piss poor release from AMD again.

Skip to 9min for AMD benchmark slides.

Court Jester likes this.
  11. maxrig

maxrig Member

Double post.

12. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

its a 250mm die, the chip itself is very good, its the price that is shit. This GPU wouldn't cost much more then RX480 to manufacture at the time of the RX480's release, thats the problem with this GPU, the extra 220 USD they added to the price......

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Because all of the trusted sites have done extensive benchmarks proving this. NOT. A few 'leaks' and the odd video mean nothing. When the embargo lifts and we get comprehensive benchmarks and a firm confirmed price, its all conjecture and air guitar.

Didn't anyone learn from the numbers that didn't happen from Zen2 ? Wait till embargo is lifted and you see some real numbers. I tend to agree that Navi may not be as good as we hoped, but I'm not willing to write it off until everyone (not just some leaked stuff) has actually tested it, and until the price (in Australia) has levelled out from the initial usual cash grab.

Another thing you might want to consider.. I didn't watch the video you are discussing but was it on X570? I wonder if the rumoured PCIE4 capabilities of Navi might make a difference? We'll all know how good or bad Navi, and exactly how much it costs in Australian Shekels, is in a few months. Not now.

14. maxrig

maxrig Member

How is it good? It couldn't even surpass Nvidia expensive RTX GPU's that was released 9 months ago.

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

no one has actual data that is my point your swallowing the load amd is feeding you

they wont be 20% ahead -- it simply wont

im sure you are one of the idiots that thought 1080ti performance for $250 as well

16. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Based on the numbers from amd and it does surpass. Obviously we need to wait until we have REAL benchmarks tho. I don’t know why people were expecting it to surpass a 2080ti by 50% though.

17. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

heres how the GPU is good:

reduces wavefront latency from 4 cycles to 1 or 2 depending if Wave32 or Wave64 is is being used.
    now has working Primiative shaders
    created a new level of granularity of shader execution with a work group processor that can execute a single shader over two compute units ( previously it was only 1)
    much improved cache system ( L1's become L0's , added a shared l1 between a subset of work group processors) which is then backed by L2
    increased DCC use and shaders can now use DCC not just the raster backend
    more improvements to async compute
    better clock gating
    increased clock speeds

What your probably not understanding is that new process shrinks aren't delivering much in the way of power improvements and are actually providing negative clock scaling ( for example amd's Zen2 projections where for clock speed loss, looks like they got a small uptick in the end) . So as a result all we are really getting from 7nm is ~25% power reduction and increase in transistors. So considering its a very small die, it has a transistor budget below the NV 12nm GPU's that are really very large, its not bad at all.

Like i keep saying the problem is the price.

remember when the 4870 launch and NV gave people 100USD refunds, that GPU didn't out perform NV's GPU either. AMD could have done something simlar again, they have chosen not to.......

18. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

The price is maybe $50 too much but right now I would rather support AMD and give them money to grow and be more competitive and stick it to Nvidia so Nvidia ups their game. I mean Nvidia hasn’t stuck their head in the sand like Intel has done. But they are using their dominance to price gouge.

19. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

this is a contradiction , ether AMD publish data or they didn't.

you could alway go and read the footnotes which detail what was done, but your not actually into data are you.

If i am why dont you provide it, your so sure after all.

20. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

and no company marketing department has ever exaggerated or influenced results EVER in teh history of the world EVER to make their product look better than the competition

again your swallowing the big fat one AMD is shoving down your throat and asking for moar

I cant prove it NO ONE can prove it yet as no one knows the actual performance of this card -- and cherry picked results -- the best possible scenario this car can be in and it is behind in some amd friendly tests

it will generally be behind nvidia I would guarantee this like night follows day in **MOST** tests