1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD RX 6000 series (RDNA2) Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Bertross

Bertross Member

Mine says arriving today. Ill have to drain my loop after work though...

PiNoY and Elchupacabraj like this.
  2. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

I agree with that - but I don't think now is the time to invest in a long term PC
    next release cycle will have a lot new stuff,new amd socket,DDR5 new chipset?,should be better SAM,ray tracing etc should be better implemented
    next time round , a couple a months after release - when the bugs are all fixed , I plan high mid range pc to see me through a couple of video card upgrades I hope.

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

So does anyone know how much stock we'll have of AIB cards? Looks like a hell of a lot of conflicting info going around, some saying we'll have a good amount of stock, others saying it's about the same or worse than as reference.

Seems like a lot of conflicting info going around about when we'll have stable stock as well, some are saying middle of December but others are saying Jan - Feb or longer :Paranoid:.

4. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I don't think anyone actually has any information. Possibly the one or two guys that work for disty's or know someone who does, or have access to ordering volumes.

Otherwise it's going to F5 and hope for the best.

5. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Probably best to assume that there isn't much stock at all, set those expectations low.

Look at the nvidia launch, supposedly low yield 8nm process, expensive over built reference cooler, covid disrupting supply chains and manufacturing and still, I saw quite a few photos of gpu's buckled into front seats and in peoples rigs in that week.

The Navi launch, I've seen hardly anything.

We find out for sure soon, however If there is plenty of AIB stock which presumably will be priced well above the refefence price, then AMD are guilty of what nvidia were accused of with their "bait and switch" founders edition pricing.

6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd ask anyway :p.

I'm assuming it'll be Feb - April before we see stock stabilise especially if Nvidia don't get the damn act together. I'm personally waiting for non reference AIB cards with 3 DP and working out a GPU AIO anyway so if I have to wait a while it's fine but I refuse to pay price gouge pricing.

7. Phido

Phido Member

Not only that the 3070 is in stock right now.. Follow the link and you can buy one straight away..
    https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08KWLMZV4?tag=pcppau-22&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

TBH though, PC part picker is basically showing no 6800 or 6800xt even price listings, even in the US.

It seems 6800 and 6800xt supply is perhaps equally dry if not more so than the Nvidia ones.

8. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I get what you are saying... but you are also comparing two different things :)

How many Nvidia reference cards did you see strapped into seats? None. Coz there were, what, 3 in the country? You would have seen Nvidia AIB cards strapped into seats, because that's all there was in stock.

AMD have only launched their reference cards so far (stickered by AIB's). Thursday morning will give us the true look at AMD stock levels. They have been saying that there is a lot more stock with the AIB cards than there was with the reference ones. Will they still sell out? Highly likely. Will they meet all demand? Not likely at all. But I am hopeful that there will be a decent chance for people to grab a card if you are online at launch.

And just think of the poor sods still waiting for a PLE update on when they get their LAUNCH night 3080 cards... That's gotta suck.

9. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Not really, i'm comparing stock on launch, reference, founders, AIB whatever, its stock on launch and AMD had none, nvidia had more.

10. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I'm saying you are comparing one launch vs two :)

11. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

If comparing reference launches AMD was far better, lets see what happens Thursday morning with the AIB.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  12. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Err surprisingly my CentreCom order for the 6800XT went through and was shipped. Anyone interested in a reference 6800?

echineon, Bertross and FuzwaldQO like this.
  13. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

If you want to get technical then AMDs launch was two as well, 6800 and 6800xt, thats two... check mate :p

*aibs count as one

I think the custom cards will be easier to get for sure, I just hope, if the aibs turn out to be more attainable but higher priced that people don't forget the anger they spewed out when they theorised that nvidia used bait and switch tactics with their founders cards pricing to build hype.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    FuzwaldQO likes this.
  14. metalrain

metalrain Member

Technically speaking there were a lot more reference RTX 3080s on release. The FE RTX 3080 is not a reference design but the lower end AIB RTX 3080s were. At least mostly reference.

Also, FE RTX 3080s are still popping up internationally from retailers, but they've since long dried up here locally.

The RX 6800 XT release seems to have very limited release globally though. Like they are focusing on higher margin AIBs perhaps?

15. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Centrecom got stock? The heck

Bertross likes this.
  16. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Well technically... Nvidia had a two in one launch, AIB's and reference, and AMD have had a two in one launch for reference 6800 and xt, and will have another two in one for AIB 6800 and xt lmao.

I have no doubt that most if not all the AIB's will be higher priced. I'm hopeful that there might be a couple that have models close to the reference rrp. And it will likely be a shitfight to get one of them. Then after that we will be fighting for the next priced card, then the next, then the next. Till we are buying 6800xt's for $2000 and crying into our cereal Thursday morning.

17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

We can make this more complicated with the earlier comment about the AIBs being the reference models for nvidia and the founders actually being a custom card.

Yeah, after the initial bloodbath when they do launch and sell out the real story will be who does better at balancing supply and demand.

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well 3080 was launched 2 months ago now. So I guess if AMD have moved more than 10 cards by Mid Jan they can get a winners badge

Digit, jpw007, Luno and 4 others like this.
  19. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Yeah nah, I'm already over it hahahaha.

Very true. I may have rose coloured (/grump Fuck off, forum... it's not spelled incorrectly. We are Australian, there's a fucking U in colour! /end grump) glasses on, but I do think there will be better supply with AMD. There's a few reasons for that:

1. Nvidia brought their launch forward, and basically screwed themselves doing it. AMD had always been launching now.
    2. Nvidia are still on the Samsung node that has been giving them crap yields, AMD on the high yield TSMC node.
    3. Rumours that Nvidia are actually stopping their chip production to move all cards to Ti or whatever their refresh will be called, possibly after Q1 next year. And trying to buy time on TSMC node. Where AMD are just planning for RDNA 3 (late next year I guess).
    4. We'll know for sure Thursday morning, but I really am confident that AMD AIB's will have a decent stock level and will keep them coming. It sounds like a lot of the AIB's were pissed off with how Nvidia handled this launch, and are gearing up to sell a lot of AMD cards.

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

We very rarely get Nvidia's FE cards here, most of them in Aus now were ordered direct from Nvidia.

Thought AMD said they weren't doing many reference, that the bulk of the cards would be AIB?

FuzwaldQO likes this.