1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

AMD RX 6000 series (RDNA2) Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Depends, reference are usually good for going cheap or watercooling and manually overclocking. AIB are good for plug and play, better coolers, fans etc.

The difference this time round is the reference cards have a horrible output selection. Perfectly fine if you use 1 or even 2 monitors but if you use 3 then you've been using Displayport, reference cards don't have 3 of them. Mixing outputs with multi monitors is never the best thing so a lot of people with multi monitors will be going AIB to get those 3 DP outputs.

WarriorZ likes this.
  2. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Thankfully I don't have that issue. One DP to 34" uw and one HDMI to an old LG 42" lcd.

3. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I can't remember the last time I've seen a high end amd card under 30cm.

4870 probably.

RnR likes this.
  4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Lucky, 3 monitors all DP. I could downsize but... Nah :leet:. Really not that many cards coming out atm with the more "standard" outputs of 3 DP & 1 HDMI, little annoying but oh well, got my eye on a couple but price will be the big factor.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  5. wild

wild Member

Personally, I prefer the look of the reference coolers for both Nvidia and AMD, at least this generation, so I was happy to get a reference card.

6. metalrain

metalrain Member

Would prefer smaller units for my mini-ITX builds, but as long it's not a 3 slot, 40cm, tall ass unit, I'd get one, or at least attempt to anyway.

7. RnR

RnR Member

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Interesting, normally those graphite pads are at least 5 - 10 degrees worse than paste, AMD did a damn good job. Shame he didn't test with liquid metal :( would've been very interesting to see the performance boost with that, guess it does only have a copper plate for the die so not really worth the risk.

9. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

I personally wanted a reference 6800 XT as I planned to go WC, but with the situation got no choice in going AIB.

Hopefully with AMD being more top end, we see more blocks coming out beyond the Liquid Devil and referenc waterblocks.

10. Voltus

Voltus Member

My guess on the 6800XT pricing is AIB starting at $1099

I mean some of the crazy watercooled ones might go as high as $1500 but ones like the Red Dragon, and the MSI Ventus ( non x) maybe the Sapphire Pulse, i think those models are $1099 models, $1199 max.. These cards are good but not really as good as the 3080 and i expect them to be a little cheaper than the 3080. If they start to get crazy town on the prices ill just wait for a 3080. Not having Ray Tracing for Cyberpunk is pretty huge..

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  11. RnR

RnR Member

Are there pictures out there with RT on and off of the same scene? And the cost to performance?

12. The Beast

The Beast Member

This does a decent job.

As for performance, there are some good figures in here for 3070/3080 vs 6800/6800XT.

You can see how much DLSS makes a difference. The host makes a good point, perhaps AMD RT is missing from Cyberpunk on release because their FidelityFX Super Resolution tech isn't ready, so RT on would be too much of a hit.

RnR, Elyzion and Nethiuz like this.
  13. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

DLSS is way more interesting than RT. If we can do textures as well which is what there working on atm then game sizes should shrink drastically.

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. metalrain

metalrain Member

DLSS is very handy when it comes to maxing out RT while having reasonable performance.

15. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I'm really conflicted at the moment. I'd really, really rather give my $$ to AMD than nVidia at the moment, but I find myself leaning back towards a 3080 (or 3080ti) over a 6800XT to be honest.
    Lack of stock of both has ironically been a good thing for me I think, and given me some more time to reflect.

Currently using a 3840x1600 monitor, which seems to be around where the 3080 becomes a better option? (and may well upgrade to a higher refresh version of the same size/resolution early next year - I prefer the UW over a 16:9 4K screen). Might depend what happens with pricing for both (or a 3080ti) once everything is finally released and somewhat available.

Will be upgrading to a 5950x/x570 based system early next year too, which complicates it a bit more with SAM, etc.

Really not sure :(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    jET_M@X, pH@tTm@N and Skramit like this.
  16. metalrain

metalrain Member

Mostly depends on which games you are going to play more (and also if you do any GPU accelerated productivity tasks). I'd be happy with either units myself, I'm more that willing to take a bit of a performance hit if say I landed an RX 6800 XT over an RTX 3080 when it comes to playing Cyberpunk 2077.

17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Wonder if there will be more reference 6900XTs than there were 6800XT in AU, given that they are supposed to be reference-only at least to start.
    Of course I know that hoping for reasonable stock of anything seems to be pointless ... but hopefully there might be at least more than one shipment to AU?
    Hmmm.

18. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Same. I was set to go with a 6800xt. But there’s a main game that I want to play. Which is CP2077. And now they’ve come out with the whole RTX partnership with Nvidia, it’s fucked me up lol. It really does look better with RT on, and if it’s gonna run way better with Nvidia I’m thinking I’ll have to go with them. Which shits me coz I don’t want to reward them for this stupid fucked up launch they’ve just had haha.

Voltus likes this.
  19. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Very similar boat here, but a small step down in res. 3440 x 1440 UW. I wonder if the 3070Ti will be my value champion? Although watching that cyberpunk RTX on/off I don't think there is that much in it for that game at least.

20. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Obviously we need to wait until release but right now I think I need to buy a 3080 :(

RnR and Nethiuz like this.