1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD RX 6000 series (RDNA2) Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Probably another couple of months. The demand has been insane, AMD have also been prioritizing Xbox & Playstation because $$$, massive payday for them if they can meet those demands, far more than consumer GPUs.

AMD have a ton of stuff on 7nm atm so they have to juggle it all and if it's true enterprise cards and Epyc CPUs are coming this year as well they'll get priority over consumer cards and CPUs because they make big money off those.

Any of you guys tried underclocking these things? Just watched a Der8our video where he played around with the 6900XT Strix LC and underclocked it by 100mv and it dropped 40w.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    zbone likes this.
  2. Malakai

Malakai Member

Seems legit, I just did a quick test, about 40W on MSI reference design card.
    Default voltage is 1175mv so I manually set 1075mv but it gets 1062mv in GPU-Z.
    The temps are higher but look at the fan speed.

2021-01-11 19_00_11-Window.png 2021-01-11 18_56_36-Window.png

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Damn that's impressive. Bet if you set the fans manually to 35% it'd probably drop the temps a bit.

I'm gonna have to try that once I have mine under water :leet:.

Edit, just noticed you did lose some core clock, guessing that's a thermal throttle.

For anyone wanting to see the video:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Malakai

Malakai Member

I don't think it's the temp that changed the clock. I tried the same 1075mv settings with a 36% custom fan speed curve and the clocks stayed the same as above. Then tried the same fan curve but I increased the voltage a bit to 1100mv and the clock increased 10 to 15 MHz. It seems it needs the extra voltage to clock higher. Curiously it dropped another 9W also 7 degrees core and 8 degrees hot spot with the custom fan curve. Some of that temperature change is the fan curve and some is the ambient temp getting lower as the night wears on. You're going to have some fun with water for sure.

2021-01-11 21_17_59-Window.png

5. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Are you using GPU tweak or the Adrenaline drivers to change your settings?

6. Malakai

Malakai Member

I'm using the Adrenalin drivers.

7. Trizae

Trizae Member

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Interesting. Der8our was about to drop the 100mv while keeping the same clocks, guess the Strix LC probably has cherry picked dies. Suppose 20MHz isn't a hell of a lot of difference from stock to undervolted considering how much power your dropping.

Der8our also noted the clocks were more stable on his with it undervolted.

I'm going to be sticking it under water with liquid metal and a 60mm rad, wont be overclocking it but undervolting while trying to keep the stock clocks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  9. Malakai

Malakai Member

I could bump the clock back up but stability would need confirming. It's only dropping 29 MHz in those first results. It's imperceptible while gaming.

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah 29MHz is nothing, maybe a single frame but dropping 40w is massive. I'd rather drop the 40w and keep it stock clocks than overclock seeing most overclocks get you maybe 10 frames if your lucky.

11. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

I am also interested to see if that works ok.
    Running 3 x DP monitors means i have avoided getting cards without 3 native DP ports.
    Would be good if i it USB-C is reliable at with DP.

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Pisses me off none of the damn reviewers tested it. It's not a hard thing to test, you just need a $20 cable :rolleyes:.

From the little info I found it should be using DP alt mode which is DP just through USB-C but the monitor has to support alt mode.

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

It -should- work, it's just displayport over USB-C ... but I haven't seen any cables that will do more than 4K60 if that matters. Might be some somewhere.

I have an ASUS portable monitor that uses displayport over USB-C (this one), and it works great hooked up to my laptop as a second screen.

14. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah it should work but like Nope said a few pages back, Nvidia broke compatibility with it on Turing.

Scorptec have an bidirectional USB-C to DP cable, meant to support 8K 30, we bought that one so we'll see if it works. I could've gotten cheaper cables but the alogic ones had really bad reviews.

From what I've been reading you have to get the right cable as well or it doesn't work, USB-C to DP works fine but if it's DP to USB-C you need a bidirectional one.

15. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hmm, interesting. That cable looks pretty good. I'll be interested to see how you go.

My little monitor uses a USB-C input (and USB-C output from the laptop), but comes up as a Displayport connection when I connect it up. The cable that came with it just looks like a normal USB-C cable - but I don't know if it's different or not. USB compatibility seems to be a bit of a mess with all the different standards and connectors now - the U in USB isn't so universal any more :(

16. Malakai

Malakai Member

Over on OCUK I saw someone say that they got the best performance out of 6900 XT by just clicking on the 'Auto Undervolt' button in Adrenalin. So I tried the same.. it just set 1150mv, not sure if it does more than that, it might use a moving target for the voltage. Anyway blow me down with a feather, best results ever. Even with all my manual tweaking and even RAGE Mode.

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_10902_1610434981.png

walker_2003 and Maldark like this.
  17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Taken from the CES presentation, about 30 minutes in:
    C801144C-B233-481E-B0F1-3434801BD451.png

If you look on the right you can see a short card...

If that’s a 6800XT or 6900XT NANO, then I’m not just on the hype train, I’m taking it home and hoarding it.

one80 and RnR like this.
  18. asho444

asho444 Member

more likely 6700 and 6600 and mobile chips given behind her it states "New desktop GPU's and Gaming notebooks"

19. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Yeah, there's no chance of a Nano. I think the reference 6700 will be the dual fan card there, and the single will be a 6600 with a focus on e-sports gaming and etc, etc.

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

You guys are just speculating... I’m speculating and hyping.

It MUST be a nano.
    Because a new nano is likely the only reason I would buy a new GPU.

If I’m overpaying for a GPU (currently every single card on sale) then I’m over paying for the novelty of a tiny card that performs almost as good as the big boys.
    :lol: