AMD RX 6000 series (RDNA2) Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. gmaxh

gmaxh Member

Yeah LOL they went full gouge

2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Wow. $1,199 for 6700xt reference cards. That's more than the 6800xt reference cards were.

3. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

AMD up their old tricks. Short release a few marketing money subsidized reference cards to hit a price point for the press release and leave AIB playing the bad guy cause actual cards will costs significantly more.

TRG.dOinK likes this.
  4. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

While mining pays for the purchase price in a couple of months, miners will pay that price. It just pushes the return on investment out a bit. Stupid.
    Yeah coz Nvidia has never ever done that...

5. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I don't think it's exclusive to AMD

6. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

FE cards are still a on going concern, and while they aren't available in AU they still are available and in production. Not like the AMD reference cards, which just like the 6800 / 6800XT ref cards will only exist as a short production run and then gone.

7. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Might want to change your name from MoutainDew to Kool Aid.

8. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

When you stop drinking the AMD one first.

9. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

You realise of course that AMD have, CPU's (both consumer and enterprise), GPU's & consoles all on the same 7nm node and TSMC are at capacity for 7nm. AMD are still pumping out everything as fast as they can, Nvidia on the other hand only make GPUs and still cant meet demand... I see people are still waiting on 3080's from launch day, that was what, 6 months ago now?

Yeah. Suppose a good thing with mining is the more people that do it the harder and less profitable it becomes but that's still a long way off atm :(.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  10. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

AMD reference cards are already well publicized as having short production runs and I guarantee you it will be a shit show just like the 6800 / 6800XT reference cards. This is just more shithousery that dates back to the Fury launch.

Secondly NV don't fab their own GPU, their under as much constraint as AMD is. You don't thnk NV have the same level of commitment to enterprise?

And people are still waiting for their non-existent 6800XT reference cards to turn up.... your point being?

11. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

There is an extremely high demand, the retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers are capitalising on this. You can see this with XFX/PowerColor/Sapphire/EVGA branded cards, compared to the Asus, Gigabyte, MSI brands, and with retailers like PLE vs Shopping Express, etc. This is not AMD or Nvidia 'price gouging', their only fault is limited supply impacting availability. The pricing issues are from further down the line.

12. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

got no problem with non-reference card pricing, its capitalism working as intended. What I do have a problem with setting a MSRP on a product for all intents and purposes don't exist.

13. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

AMD said on launch reference cards wouldn't last, it was only a short run then it'd be all AIB cards.

Nvidia have all of Samsungs 8nm to themselves, granted it's a shit node with shit yield but they only need to make 1 chip, so they should be able to pump out cards much faster than AMD that are making multiple parts from a single node and yet Nvidia still hasn't been able to keep up with demand but AMD since Zen launch have slowly been delivering. Even with the Demand AMD stuff in all aspects is still trickling in while Nvidia cant even fill GPU's alone.

AMD did have Zen at MSRP for well over a month, maybe 2, cant remember then retailers starting putting the prices up.

I seriously doubt if AMD or Nvidia are getting the extra $$$, it'd be retailers or suppliers. I'd guess suppliers because... money.

14. RnR

RnR Member

They also said that they would restart production of reference cards. But I am guessing that is not going to happen until production constraints are resolved.

15. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

So you admit it? Its basically a non-existent MSRP. Just like how the Fury was launched with a "MSRP" but was only obtainable when you purchased together with a Samsung LCD from a select retailer in the US.

Well no.... Samsung 8nm node capacity is shared with Samsung SOC production for their mobile division amongst other customers. Guess which one is bigger and get priority?

Once again, my beef isn't lack of stock. My beef is this short production run reference card BS. Either make the reference cards (even if its in low qty) for the life cycle of the chip or don't advertise a MSRP for the product that basically doesn't exist.

16. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I think you're overestimating how reactive this process can be. Under normal circumstances there wouldn't be this issue with production capacity or reference vs partner allocation.

It has only been four months since AMD released their 6800's, that is not a very long time in the scheme of things. Due to demand and pricing AMD have stated that they will continue production of the reference cards, but there has hardly been enough time for that whole process to have stockpiled the shelves with them, especially with the continued high demand.

17. RnR

RnR Member

Moar wafers for AMD. Slowly increasing their share of TSMC's output...

upload_2021-3-22_21-2-53.png

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  18. The Beast

The Beast Member

Ray Tracing enabled for AMD cards in Cyberpunk 2077... prepare the tissues ladies and gents, but not for the good kind of weeping.

19. RnR

RnR Member

Enabled... and optimised?

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I don't think it's legal to put the phrase "cyberpunk 2077" next to the word "optimized" unless you also include the word "poorly"

Zee, groovetek, Spyder6052 and 3 others like this.