AMD RX 6000 series (RDNA2) Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by SnooP-WiggleS, Mar 6, 2020.

1. 151528

151528 Member

2. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Kitguru's numbers have different results but AMD hardware still looks to get some respectable performance.

Screenshot_2021-07-14-08-25-07-509_com.google.android.youtube.jpg Screenshot_2021-07-14-08-24-48-836_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  3. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I tried it for a bit at 4k on my 6900xt, some places you don't notice it at all, others you see some nice shiny reflections off of surfaces. 1000% not worth the trade off of having to play at 60fps, I'm not looking for any reflections while I'm running around ripping and tearing and there are already good lighting effects in the base game.

151528 likes this.
  4. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Yeah, I think this is probably the wrong game to turn on raytracing, like, you gonna stand around looking at pretty reflections as deamons rip your entrails out :lol:

RnR, 151528, Ck21 and 1 other person like this.
  5. The Beast

The Beast Member

This is true and all but...

...what????

I mean everything is performing well compared to other games with RT, but that's all about iDTech. Compared to their competitor AMD is getting ripped and torn.

6800XT vs 3080... NVidia 43.4% to 51.7% better
    6900XT vs 3090... NVidia 48.4% to 61.3% better

That is an objective arse-whooping, even before enabling DLSS.

An RTX 3070 with 8GB of ram that would be right on the edge of getting VRAM limited at 4K Ultra Nightmare was still able to beat a 6900XT (with 16GB of ram). At MSRP that is a $499 USD card beating a $999 USD card.

For AMD hardware it's an acceptable frame rate to play, yes. Respectable performance, absolutely not. :tongue:

EDIT:

Also, this is just RT reflections, not even shadows or GI.

EDIT 2:

So I just watched the whole video and holy shit is that guy so off the fucking mark.
    He is trying to equate pure quantity of VRAM to explain performance differences between resolutions in literally the most uninformed manner I've seen from a tech reviewer.

At one point he says something like "and the 8Gb Vram buffer on the 3070 and 3060Ti is what allows the AMD cards to pull ahead at this resolution", despite the 8GB NVidia cards being actually WELL ahead of AMD cards in their class, and even the class ahead. This big dumb idiot had conflated the NVidia 8GB cards losing some lead from 1080 to 1440 as AMD pulling ahead. FML tech reviewers can be so dumb.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  6. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

In the context of AMD hardware, which I previously thought was very bad at raytracing, seeing some "playable" (debatable) framerates, and in isolation from nvidias second gen effort, I consider that respectable. For AMD.

I can read charts and graphs too, so yes, if I was to compare it to Nvidia, well, respectable certainly isn't the word, but I don't expect them to compete here.

Now that I have elaborated, if you still want to protest my use of that word, I have some more words I can use :lol:

And as for kitguru's video, I skipped to the numbers, I usually do, they look more realistic than the previous set of numbers that claimed the 6800 and 3060 beat the 3070, you should look at that article, I have no comment on any of the other content of the kitguru video, I just used the numbers because they seemed to be some of the only available at the time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  7. Azzan

Azzan Member

Isn't 6900XT much slower than low end RTX 20 series on games like Control(on max settings), cos super slow Ray Tracing and NO DLSS support?

8. OJR

OJR Member

No, and nobody plays control but you.

Also, keep trolling and I will report your posts.

mAJORD and Blitzwing like this.
  9. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol pointing out the fact that latest AMD cards have extremely poor Ray Tracing performance and no DLSS support = trolling? :rolleyes:
    Guess you are still upset from getting banned from trolling on 11th gen thread OJ..

10. OJR

OJR Member

You are clearly anti AMD going by your previous posts and your stupid signature. Why are you in this thread if not to troll? This is your second warning.

11. Azzan

Azzan Member

? I would buy latest Ryzen cpu if I was full time video editor, but just can't see myself spending $1000+ on a graphics card with no DLSS and poor Ray Tracing performance.

12. 151528

151528 Member

Some people just don't care for dlss or buying into nvidias marketing in general, even then, none of that changes the fact your audi still looks like a mazda

13. Azzan

Azzan Member

I don't care wat other people buy(makes zero difference to me) but all the games I have support Ray Tracing and DLSS so..
    e.g. CoD MW2, CoD Cold War, Borderlands 3, RainbowSix Siege, Wolfenstien YB, Control/UE, Doom & Doom Eternal etc etc

14. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Judging by your posts you play 40 mins of Control every generation, then a combination of MS paint and the ocau FS thread simulator.

s4Rg3, sammy_b0i, nope and 1 other person like this.
  15. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

The incessant discussion about control and how many single digit percentages separate performance between GPUs is my favourite :lol:

the_antipop likes this.
  16. Blitzwing

Blitzwing Member

That game is almost as bad as Control...

nope likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Also note from the graphs they downgraded textures for 4k benchmarks just so the 3070 performance wouldn't tank (but not the 1440p results). Poor form benchmarking, 4k is where you want the highest textures doing the opposite might have made sense (ultra textures for 1440p, nightmare for 4k). From other benchmarks (eg techspot) the 3070 loses 20% performance or so. See another case resident evil village where the 3070 completely tanks (below even a 3060!) with ray tracing enabled because of not enough vram, like the 6900xt it's a poor product that is going to age terribly compared to the AMD products which didn't skimp on vram. If I didn't care for money I'd buy a 3090 for ray tracing it's clearly superior at it or a 3080 if I planned to upgrade before it's 10gb vram becomes a problem.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/resident-evil-village-benchmarks-and-system-requirements

Attached Files:

151528 likes this.
  18. The Beast

The Beast Member

That's a fair point, they did lower from nightmare textures in 4K to prevent the 8GB cards from bottlenecking... but that's hardly an unusual compromise when games offer ludicrous texture options. If you can tell the difference between Ultranightmare, Nightmare and Ultra textures I'd be fk'd and amazed. I just took screenshots in game at 4k with those textures and I'm struggling to see it.

I reckon Tom's Hardware has fucked this RE8 test up completely. TechPowerUp did the same review and didn't manage to tank the 8Gb cards at max settings with RT:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This post makes no sense . Is "but" supposed to be an "and" ? And what CPU would you buy for gaming then?

20. Azzan

Azzan Member

sigh this is why i can't stand Lada fanbois.. People would just laugh and ignore me if I said bad things about BMW, Porsche, Lambo.
    e.g. latest M3/M4 grill looks hideous, new 911 looks almost identical to one from 20 years ago, Lambos are just glorified A̶u̶d̶i̶ VW, etc
    But if I mention any obvious defects about Lada, fanbois just get soo offended and go crazy... meh I'll just go to much faster NVidia RTX 20 Series thread, laters. (at least 20 series got adequate features)