AMD sheds light on Bulldozer, Bobcat & Desktop plans..

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More AMD Bobcat and Bulldozer, 2011 flagship CPU cores detailed today..

Some websites covering the details and sharing their thoughts on the subject:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3863/amd-discloses-bobcat-bulldozer-architectures-at-hot-chips-2010/1
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-bobcat-hot-chips,2724.html
    http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=1
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/amds_bulldozer_bobcat_processors_preview
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=985
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1729292/amd-dodges-performance-question-chips

[​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. flyingracoon72

flyingracoon72 Member

Thuban looks very promising, but it appears that it uses AM3 and has a DDR3 controller. Would that mean it would leave old AM2+ Sockets behind?

3. RnR

RnR Member

:thumbup: to AMD for carrying the AM3 socket forward to 2011. Thats a pretty awesome life span for a socket.

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I think it will be similar to how AM3 Phenoms are at the moment. But if it does have a DDR3 only controller then you will need to change. Looks like they will have a new motherboard chipset so probably a good time to upgrade anyway.

5. Autti

Autti Member

Hopefully its cheap is all i can say, Intel is a full year ahead now with fab process which is kinda worrying for them.

Bobcat has a lot of pressure to perform, sub one watt with 90% performance of current mainstream products in half the area, those are big big asks.

6. Sundance

Sundance Member

Intel will always be far ahead imo, regardless of how well AMD CPUs perform. They have far too much marketing muscle, and their R&D budget ensures that they stay ahead technically as well. Which is why I think AMD does great when you look at the odds.

7. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

you cant buy the kind of talent that intel and AMD have, sure intel will have advantages like cache dencity but the best design generally wins. AMD has quite a few of the IA-64 and old Dec alpha designers and general purpose CPU's are generally heading in those HPC directions because you can no long scale clocks.

So intel will generally have the process advantage but AMD is SOI so its not directly comparable. AMD's problem is they had severial failed "K11" design attempts before bulldozer and this has really hurt them over the last 2 years. remember K10 is not a whole lot more then K8 with a few SSE4 instructions ( SSE4a is no where near full SSE4)

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Question is will Bulldozer be able to beat i5/i7?

9. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

clock for clock it should smash a i5/i7, FMAC, 2x the int performace and AVX, it should beat sandy bridge aswell but it will also be bigger.

10. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

stolen from XS

Journalist: Rick you mentioned that you will be sampling Bulldozer and Bobcat in 32nm, Fusion products in the first half of 2010. That would suggest that you either have taped out or is close to taping out all those products. Can you give us some sense off where you are in terms of the development on those cores?

Rick Bergman: We don't really give out inner milestones, but we, obviously you know how the semiconductor industry works. You know, June of 2010 is 7 months from now, it takes a few months to build these things so I don't think your comments are off-target at all we are, we're loading up the gun getting ready with our next wave of these fantastic products

Journalist: You mentioned, I think the roadmap for Global Foundries showed that you had, that they were doing 32nm in the second half of 2010. So how do you actually get those built in the first half?

Dirk Meyer: That was a production question.

Emilio Ghiraldi: That's manufacturing ramp, which is consistent with the...

Journalist: So they are doing the tape-outs now?

Rick Bergman: Oh yeah, absolutely and we have running material, we have material.

11. Autti

Autti Member

How do you figure Bulldozer will be faster clock for clock than Sandy Bridge and Nehalem/Westmere?

12. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

there are multipule ways to look at it against sandy bridge.

in floating point at 128bit and below should be simple because AMD will support FMAC/FMUL/FADD and intel wont, AVX makes it a little more interesting because in a 256 bit FP op AMD only has 1/2 of the execution units then at 128. But then AMD will support FMAC for 256bit ops. 256bit instructions are unlikely to be a bottleneck in the real world for quite sometime anyway. AMD FP units are also dynamicly configurable based on length, So 8 32bit FP ops a clock, 4 64, 2 128, 1 256.

initiger is more interesting and with out more details of the int pipes themselve its hard to tell for single threaded IPC. but AMD have basiclly doubled there integer math power so each "core" can do 4 fast path and 4 complex operations a clock.

if you look at bobcat 50% size for 90% perf compared to phenomII ( according to AMD) well bulldozer cores are basiclly doubled up bobcat cores.

the whole idea is to pool resources which dont see consistantly high utilzation which saves transistors which allows you to spend more transistors on other stuff.

13. Gillyske

Gillyske Member

bulldozer will fail. i can see it now.

It will cost too much, but be faster.

Thus never allowing it to gain any ground, even though its a decent product. Just like Athlon 64's

14. Digit

Digit Member

A64's were cheaper werent they ?/ then the equiv intel cpu's at the time, i bought one at the time and that was my understanding.

i7 didnt fail and it costed a lot more, simply because it smashed all competition.

Question isnt will Bulldozer beat i5/7 but will it beat intel's current offerings at the time ?? i9 or whatever the hel they're going to release, it'd be like comparing a phenom to a p4 . . . you just dont

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

16. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

A64's didn't fail. they where supply constrained for years with them

17. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Dude, your Avatar is funny ! :thumbup:

And I agree that Bulldozer should be compared to Intel's offerings which are out at that time, not previous gen stuff.

18. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

anyone more news on when the Thuban cpu's will be released, along with the new chipsets?

yes i know, i'm not very patient.

19. Mensuri

Mensuri Member

for the new chipsets - apparently mass production around feb 10 and release about april/may

MSI already have a sample board - will try and find the link - 6 PCI express slots!!!!

20. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

should be able to hang on until then, i want to go back to AMD with my next major upgrade, but currently amd offer nothing thats a upgrade in performance for me.

now i just hope the HD5870 will be in decent supply in a month or so :thumbup: