1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Socket Zen 4 AM5 "Raphael" Ryzen 7000-series Talk Processor 2H-2022 Launch

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

So you want people to have to choose between the whole hog and the poor cousin?
    I think it's a great way to cater for different people with different needs, and with different size wallets..
    Why force people to pay for ALL features they don't need when they only need a couple of extra features?

Personally i'll probably go for X670

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    MUTMAN and SKITZ0_000 like this.
  2. rg144

rg144 Member

One thing I haven't been a fan of with AMD is the continuous 'teasing'/drip feeding of specs from AMD with this release. Its been a strange mix of soft launches rather than a hard launch.

I know some people might prefer information bled out gradually as such; but personally I just want all the deets in a big event reveal including a proper release date.

SKITZ0_000 likes this.
  3. nope

nope Member

Because we aren't really getting anything cpu gpus etc from anyone until next year at least

4. rg144

rg144 Member

Highly highly unlikely. I'm 99% confident if AMD are releasing a new platform this year i.e this 'US fall', they would be absolutely foolish to release said platform without a CPU to slot in..

EDIT: The timing of GPU's is a little more interesting though. Releasing GPU's at the same time as Chipset+CPU could give AMD a little marketshare bump against both Intel & nVidia. But of course this all rests on
    a) performance
    b) can they further harness SAM and show added benefits of using an AMD platform for GPU's and
    c) can they beat nVidia to release..

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

So lets see...

They've claimed a 15% performance jump in single thread performance, demonstrated using Cinebench R23.

I'm not really a fan of synths, but R23 in particular is a pretty shit one. It's not going to benefit much, if at all, from the doubling of L2 cache, DDR5 or likely any of their other changes. So this is probably almost all down to node size (5nm) and increased clock-speed (~5-10%).

The 31% more performance in Blender vs the 12900K could be promising until you see that the 5950X is already 15% faster than it.

Based off this I think we should be expecting a minimum of 15% increase in performance across the board, which will hopefully be higher for specific applications and games depending on how they react to some of the other changes, including the increased L2.

Something I am pretty interested to see is how the whole FCLK situation pans out with the 6nm I/O die, and overall tinker potential. In the last slide of AMD's presentation it indicated that the testing was completed using DDR5 6000c30, I assume that would be a 2:1 MEM:FCLK?

If you can push the FCLK higher than on AM4, and if 1:1 is an option again, there might be some tasty gains there (maybe latency at the cost of bandwidth, if you have to bring the memory frequency down).

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

MUTMAN, nope and rg144 like this.
  6. Phido

Phido Member

As a 5950x owner, bit disappointed with the CPU performance, 15% single thread. That is okay, but 64GB or 128gb DDR5 will cost the earth and the whole platform isn't exactly cheap for a 15% upgrade. I might wait for DDR5 to fall in price.

Maybe my wife gets a 58003d.

IMO the PCIE5 thing is overblown. PCI4 is still new, and heaps of bandwidth for GPU/storage/Networking. If you wanted to hold onto the platform for ~5 years, then PCIE5 becomes much more important. I quite like the AM5 platform though, looks solid. IMO its worth investing in a quality AMD board, because you keep them longer.

Hotrod2go and rg144 like this.
  7. nope

nope Member

Seems like a oof to me maybe 5-15% faster and you have to get absolutely raked on Ddr5 am5 pcie
    They should have just released zen 5 and back porter zen 4 to am4 and make it am4+

Worse than the 2017 launch at least it was cheap meanwhile prices of cpus ram and mobos have tripled

8. rg144

rg144 Member

My initial impressions of the x670 platform thus far are simple:
    Continued step in the right direction from AMD, but I'm not blown away.

- PCIe 5: will be awesome for storage (albeit costs will be crazy high); but current GPU's struggle to saturate PCIe 4 bandwidth as shown by very little performance differences from PCIe 3 vs 4. Wait and see what next gen GPU's will do but I'm not expecting a huge impact from PCIe 5 here
    - DDR5: as we know is the way forward but still quite pricey (expectation is costs will go ↓ obv)
    - Additional USB-C ports welcome
    - Hopefully more 10Gbe LAN (but again, not expecting much)

For me the big question really comes down to the Ryzen CPU's:
    - Particularly where they go/what improvements come from next gen Vcache and X3D
    - 170W CPU's is a big jump for AMD desktop processors.
    - RDNA2 APU performance
    - FSB OC'ing as SKITZ0_000 said

9. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I think they key benefit of PCIE5 is for storage, so if the B650 platform has the same OC potential as the B550, with the PCIE4 GPU lanes and PCIE5 for the dedicated NVME lanes, that will definitely be enough for most (including myself).

I think the main downside is the move to a new platform including the prohibitive cost of DDR5. Otherwise if the CPU pricing is along similar lines to the 5000 series, it's still a decent iterative upgrade.

That said, it's only if you want to go silly with it, you can get 32GB of 4800C40 for <$300. Pending the FCLK situation, and how much OC potential is in these cheaper kits (I haven't looked into it too much, but I know there are some cheaper sticks out there with decent OC potential) you could get away with the swap from DDR4 relatively cleanly.

I could be tempted.

10. Phido

Phido Member

Im not going backwards in ram.. My ITX box has 64GB of DDR4 3200. 64GB of DDR5 is what ~$700.. + CPU ($1000+) + platform for a ~15%.
    IMO PCI4 isn't a huge bottle neck for storage, we are only now seeing storage solutions that can actually sustain PCIE4 speeds. A mere 7GB a second.

With 64GB of ram and 16GB of Vram, it isn't like my games are hitting my PCIE4 SSD much anyway.

Ideally I would like to have a fully decked system in Matx. 128GB DDR5 ~6000 Ram, 4TB PCIE5 SSD, 16 core CPU, beefy next gen GPU.

11. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Yeah that's fair, it's not worth moving a whole platform if you already have a 5950X that's for sure.

Which also makes it not super compelling if you're already on AM4, as you could just move up to a 5000 series CPU...

I am interested in it from the tinkering point of view, not really the performance aspect. I replaced my 3900X with a 5700G to tinker with it, but it does really bog down sometimes. I could be tempted by a 12 core Zen4 once I get a better feel for them as I'm a bit bored with the 5000 series.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

15% is "over 15%" , so who knows exactly how much on average we'll see from final SKU's/clocks

Also they used some odd/incorrect terminology in their own slide , the footnotes with the rendering times show the blender run is 45% faster not 31%. It's 31% 'less time' .

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  13. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Oh right, good pickup - they should fire their whole marketing team over that :p.

Agreed though, it's definitely over 15%. We just can't determine how much over it will be until we have more data.

14. nope

nope Member

considering my 5900x apparently gets to 5.4ghz i think ill jsut stick to am4eva

15. Current

Current Member

the big question is, can i run windows 7 :p like i can on AM4 systems.

If not, i'll be with you in the AM4 Forever :p

I'll take a 5950X3D please :D

nope likes this.
  16. nope

nope Member

why windows 7 it doesnt even have the windows 10 and 11 sheduler fix so your performance on am4 will suck arse

17. Elmf

Elmf Member

Let's not have this discussion about Current using a not current OS again please. Search the forums and use the other threads clogged up with it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. nope

nope Member

how very yep of me

Elmf likes this.
  19. Current

Current Member

Just this :)
    Win7 holds up.

I just hope AM5 works with it as AM4 did.

nope likes this.
  20. nope

nope Member

Now show us the same benchmark under a zen
    Now the rumor mill is saying zen4 is sandbagged.
    Why don't Intel and amd nvidia and shit stop fucking around

Last edited: May 25, 2022