1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Socket Zen 4 AM5 "Raphael" Ryzen 7000-series Talk Processor 2H-2022 Launch

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

I wish people on these forums would stop just mashing their keyboards while replying and actually proofread their comments so it didn't hurt my head so much....

Wacko02 and Elmf like this.
  2. rg144

rg144 Member

Nothing wrong with overall 20%-25% improvement if that’s where we land. And if AM5 lasts for another 3 gen’s of Ryzen, should be happy-days for all.. although that may have been a one-off given the shambles/timing of 5000 support on x370.

Back to clock speeds- there’s a few reports going round on that 5.5GHz demo being all 16 cores. I’m a little suspect of this..?

Ghostwire only fully saturated 2 cores on a Ryzen 3700X I had, with others being 50-80% utilised, and 2 cores very little. Unless they’ve optimised Ghostwire for 16 cores of course- would be a surprising title to do so for, albeit anything possible for demos!

Cyberpunk would’ve been a big reveal as that chews through cores, for better or worse..

RnR likes this.
  3. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah... suspect. Extremely unlikely to be all core speed. And AMD have said there was no overclock, although they did use a 280mm AIO.

4. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

I'd given up waiting on a cheap Desktop Ryzen CPU, bought a used Ryzen Laptop for less than half it's retail price. That's why in my sig, my two AM4 Desktops have such budget used CPU's :p

Hotrod2go likes this.
  5. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

I was considering ADL upgrade at this point in time due to more bugs ironed out & win 11 maturing. However with AM5 of course due later this year, its another option to think about (bugs aside), but with up to 170w tdp for top end chips as far as we know (if tdp means anything anymore these days...) & next gen high end GPUs drinking substantially more power than any generation before, the costs of upgrading are also going to include a new 1k psu as well imo if you want a high performance & potentially overclocked system being stable. Considering electricity costs are due to rise nation wide, there's more to consider now than ever with throwing $ at depreciating assets like consumer electronic parts aka PC gear.

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  6. RnR

RnR Member

AMD have clarified their AM5 socket power range;

upload_2022-5-27_7-49-39.png

upload_2022-5-27_7-49-8.png

Both from this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

So Zen 4 will kick arse in MT work loads, if you have good cooling.

Edit: more from AMD via TPU;
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-4-ryzen-7000-technical-details/

Much more at link.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    rg144, MUTMAN and mAJORD like this.
  7. Phido

Phido Member

AMD might be a bit conservative with the clocks. If these could close closer to to 5.8-6Ghz, then that might give them the lift to be very competitive. It could be a bit like 20+% faster than 5000.

However AMD not even claiming its faster than 5800x3d is interesting. IMO that is a good CPU for those on AM4. Will likely last quite a while.

8. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

They might be being conservative, but they are not being 500mhz conservative. 6ghz and even 5.8 is a massive exponential jump from their claim of "easy" 5.5ghz. More than likely I would bet we would see most skus being able to hit that 5.3-5.5 mark with outliers playing around the 5.6 mark for lightly threaded workloads (ie gaming). Pure guess but I haven't seen them under-estimate clocks like that before, even after their hand was bitten with early Zen boost feedback vs their frequency marketing.

15% ST uplift is decent but not enough to justify the jump to a new platform for the vast majority of AM4 users. I suspect we will see some better marketing slides with more impressive numbers before release though.

Zarok77 likes this.
  9. RnR

RnR Member

500Mhz is only ~10%. They were using a engineering sample cpu for their gaming 'benching'. This cpu were not pulling 170W. So it wasn't fine tuned at all. Remains to be seen how much they can squeeze out of the silicon inside their TDP. I think they will get close to 5.8Ghz.

10. Current

Current Member

I would say the next 10 years. Just like those with a sandy bridge, just get a new graphics card and max our your motherboard on ram and you're good :)

11. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

5.1 to 5.5 is only ~8% but at no point did we think that was a reasonable clock to achieve for Zen 3. 4.6 being the top end of Zen 2 to 5.1 on Zen 3 is also around 10% so it still seems to be the number for gen to gen improvement. I will be glad to eat humble pie if they do pull 5.8+ out of their cheeks though, 5.5 is already pretty impressive with a sub 170w pull.

It is a new process so anything goes, but their ST improvement figure does seem very conservative given these frequency increases.

12. Current

Current Member

it's not just a clock speed bump though ? architecture as well would have an effect, just like a die shrink does. mmm More cache please.

13. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah conservative. AMD goes into further details;

Text snagged from another forum.

t8y, rg144 and jjjc_93 like this.
  14. t8y

t8y Member

curious what the actual IPC improvements are, as its hard to say with chip boosting through the roof the way it is.
    ie; same/similar clocks, how much faster is am5 etc

edit: this tweet sums up the current info and changes quite well

longer pipeline means more clocks (think Pentium 4 or AMD FX, both "longer" compared to their predecessors.. except not quite to their extents), so, likely only small % gains per clock.
    also notes that lower cache variants should clock harder too. another example, current 5000 series compared to the 5800x3d

interesting

jjjc_93 likes this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Nar, it toast for games now days. At big res anyway.

Still a great chip for my office boxen :thumbup:

16. Current

Current Member

have you tried pairing it with a 3080 or something ? with 32gb of ram in the board ? you'll find it runs games quite adequately. Sure, not as much as a 5800x or something, But it will be quite playable.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

why cripple a new vid card so much ?
    honestly, i dont have a need for a high end vid card these days which is why my 2600k is still fit for purpose as a office box

rg144 likes this.
  18. Current

Current Member

If i had $1000 to spend on a PC upgrade and i like my games, then a GPU upgrade is the obvious solution for Bang to Buck ratio. Your Excel worksheet or word document doesn't need a ryzen 5950x

19. grrrr

grrrr Member

there is one way i can think of to get the wife to wait 8-9 months.

20. grrrr

grrrr Member

Well I for one am excited about AMDs upcoming CPU releases. (and kind of hopeful for some GPU releases as well). I am ready to upgrade the trusty Intel i5-4690K. (Which officially released in 2014 and I think I got mine in 2015.)