1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD starts hiring world class SoC engineers..

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dukkie, Dec 2, 2011.

1. dukkie

dukkie Member

Read more: HERE

2. Nikon223

Nikon223 Member

Good to see the new CEO getting rid of the dead weight and looking for fresh blood. Let's hope the next round of Desktop CPUs are something worth buying. I don't think the PII will be viable for many of us if the next generation of AMD chips turns out like BD.

3. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Lets just hope he or they don't change socket for the next round of CPU as I just bought an AM3+ board.

4. Bertross

Bertross Member

Yeah ditto :S

5. lithos

lithos Member

Wish more companies could do this, instead of listening to the Marketing guys rattling their cages. The upper management, of course, tends to lack to the introspection to realise that the same marketing techniques that are used on customers to get them to buy their chips also work on CEOs when figuring out the budget and company strategy...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  6. aphasia

aphasia Member

yeah in the same boat. bought a CHV in preparation for BD, then went sideways and got a x6 1100T (@4.2) instead. toyed with selling CHV after BD came out but the idea of dismantling the system and removing the EK chipset waterblock, got moved to the 'too hard basket'. may be a slim glimmer of hope when the last CPU for AM3+ (BD revised stepping/PD) is released. if the last chip doesn't show significant gains over 1100T @ 4.2, probably go IB-E in 12mths.

if AMD engineering dept can tighten up the BD arch or move to different architecture all together, things might prove interesting in the future. certainly more appetising than all this doom & gloom talk surrounding AMD at the moment.

7. zdream

zdream Member

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I'm not sure that this will be the case.

AMD has traditionally been strong in the low-budget sector. They've maintained that with the current chips, which offer a nice combination of CPU performance, GPU performance, and low cost (both CPU and mainboard) compared to the Intel options.

It looks like AMD is aiming to go back to their 'low-cost' approach. This takes them out of the small top-end market and instead results in a focus on the huge low-end market. I'm sure that Intel will be concerned about what might happen to their market share there.

9. Autti

Autti Member

Not really. Intel have such a large manufacturing advantage they are untouchable for the next year or so.

The low-end market is fast becoming the laptop market, and power usage sells. Intel's Ivy Bridge is going to be even more amazing for power consumption, AMD have nothing to combat this.

Fusion i would argue is better for a lot of people, but it doesn't sell as well.

10. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Intel has always had a huge manufacturing advantage; it hasn't bothered AMD so far.

Power usage certainly matters in the netbook market, but I don't see the low-end desktop market disappearing any time soon. A little 10" netbook or even a 15" laptop is useless for desktop use, compared to a proper 22/23/24" LCD. As long as the chip doesn't have a really ridiculous power consumption (eg. Prescott) it doesn't really matter.

11. lithos

lithos Member

I personally think that every hack journo that says/writes anything along the lines of "we're in a post-PC era" should be forced, by law, to do all their word processing on a smartphone touchscreen.

12. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

i couldn't agree more.

13. Linkin

Linkin Member

Definitely. That'll learn em :lol:

14. stmok

stmok Member

Intel isn't celebrating...
    (Even though they hold ~80% of the PC desktop and notebook processor market.)

* Their Israeli team is finishing up on Ivy Bridge. (Coming in April/May 2012).
    * Their Oregon team is working on Haswell. (2013)
    * Their R&D is working on running transistors at the lowest possible voltage. (At IDF 2011, they demo'ed an ultra-low voltage x86 processor powered by a stamp sized solar cell. The prototype system was running Windows.) ...As well, they're looking into replacing copper interconnects with optical ones and bringing things to the mainstream. (Expect a presentation from them at the international electronics conference next year.)
    * Their fabrication side is having a new facility being built. This is Fab 42 at Arizona; doing 300mm wafers on the 14nm node. They also have a grant from the Israeli government to expand Fab 28 in Israel. (it'll do 22nm manufacturing). Fab 14 (in Ireland) also got some money to transition to 22nm. Their first fab in China (Fab 68) had begun work earlier this year with 65nm node. It was opened late last year. (From what I understand, Intel has 8 fabs around the world.)

AMD didn't have a problem with Intel's manufacturing capability in the past because their co-founder was smart enough to talk and worked with third-parties like Motorola. (As in the case of K7 era). So they use cooperation and partnerships in order to make up for their own lack of capabilities against Intel.

Today, they're too reliant on a single source (GlobalFoundries) that isn't delivering what they need. It makes you wonder why they wouldn't team up with the 2nd biggest fab production provider in the world and work with them. ie: Samsung. ...It wouldn't hurt if they do that for the third generation Bulldozer. (Its too late for the Piledriver-based 2nd gen, as that is designed for the 32nm process at GF).

15. Gillyske

Gillyske Member

its just a shame that they are going to move the fusion chips onto the bulldozer architecture. Unless they really give piledriver a huge work over its going to be the same miserable failure for the low-end.

16. stmok

stmok Member

It'll be an improvement. But don't expect miracles. Nor should you expect the status quo to change in 2012.

ie: In the mainstream, AMD has better IGP and Intel has better CPU performance.

x86 side seems to be getting dull. There's nothing major to get excited about. :(

17. aphasia

aphasia Member

thank you for the giggle.
    i wouldn't stop there, anytime they have to interface with any computer device with a screen, they must make do with a smartphone screen.

i'm sure gaming @ 640x960 without a mouse is just pure awesomeness.
    as a side gag, they (the journo's) forfeit any coverage for out of pockets expenses at the doctors for eye strain and carpel tunnel...

dunno about that, Ivy Bridge & Haswell have got some pretty cool things in store (trigate transistors much reduced TDP, more instructions, etc). hell AMD might have a rabbit or 2 to pull if they can get the BD arch to work properly.

18. lithos

lithos Member

I've heard my journalism lecturers say that, and I've taken them to task on it:

"OMG! My iPhone is AWESOME! I can check emails, read articles, use Facebook...everything on this! Computers pretty much redundant now!"

Yes, I say, but what do you use to do you job on? Write articles, tests, essays, stuff that pays the bills?

"Oh, yeah, there's that, but I'm pretty sure they'll be gone in five years or so..."

No, if anything, it highlights just how important a bog-stand PC/Laptop is: they've become so ingrained in our daily lives that they've faded into the background and we tend to forget about them. And just because YOU don't use them, doesn't mean the rest off the world doesn't. The guy running the power plant that charges your iDevice needs a decent computer with KBM, so does the guy who prints the magazine/newspaper your articles appear in, the guy who designs the engine in your car...

We might remember the smartphone because it's more fun than work; but the PC is more important, but, precisely because we have to use it for work.

I can't remember who said it (christ, it might have been Steve Jobs,) but the importance of a new technology is often over-estimated in the short term, and under-estimated in the long term. When the Prius came out, apparently everyone was meant to be driving them in a few years because they were so much better than petrol cars, but it doesn't work out like that...not everyone can afford them, and I've yet to see, say, a Prius that can tow shipping container full of stuff, or even another Prius.

Same goes for cloud computing/storage, thin clients. The idea's been around for ages, it's only just going mainstream, but I think in five years the consumer will still have HDDs on their computer - and they'll mostly still be magnetised, spinning disks.

19. aphasia

aphasia Member

preaching to the choir.

big beautiful screens. ever since i've had a desktop PC, always kept thinking 'gee the screen could be a bit bigger' 15', 17', 20' CRT, a couple of 19s', 24' and finally my 30' LCD. when i finally got my 30' wide screen did i think 'yeah this is about right' tho i still have the 24' sitting next to it.

until the day we are able to project a display directly into our eye balls, the desktop PC is here to stay. the smart phone and tablets are gimmicks imho. a smart phone is a communications device, first and foremost. your ipads are toys and until they get a lot thinner and lighter, only then will they be a permanent replacement for the books/newspapers/magazines. until of course made obsolete with eyeball HUD's.

i imagine it'll be pretty embarrassing to see that future apple product... the apple 'iBall'. i bet you those arseclowns at apple have trade marked that too.

think we've kinda wandered off topic here.