AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor- AMD FX-9590

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sandeep, Jun 12, 2013.

1. sandeep

sandeep Member

This would be fun to play with. I am guessing 20% performance boost with that sort of clock speeds?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7066/amd-announces-fx9590-and-fx9370-return-of-the-ghz-race

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. coderx

coderx Member

I will wait for the benchmarks / comparisons before I get too excited.

How does it fare when put up against a haswell ?

It's one thing to have big number specs, but being able to translate that to actual performance is another thing.

I hope it works out, I've always liked AMD, but since the C2Ds (intel) came out I just don't think they've been in the running as far as performance goes.

3. OP
    OP
    sandeep

sandeep Member

I was about to jump to Intels Haswell but the motherboard price is too high. I tend to always get the top of the range motherboard so hopefully if the performance of this new AMD CPU is respectable, I will keep my existing motherboard and put this new puppy under the hood.

4. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

So... what's the base clock on these things?

5. Melkor1337

Melkor1337 Member

Good, I was beginning to miss the Pentium 4 EE

6. Luke212

Luke212 Member

shame its only 4 core. why do they keep saying 8 core on these things? they are only slightly better than hyper threading from what i understand.

if i were buying a cheap system now, its amazing how cheap a FX 8320 system is.

7. balckjok3r

balckjok3r (Banned or Deleted)

Sounds crazy... My 990fx Extreme4 cant even handle my fx8350 at 4Ghz... How the hell would it work at 5ghz? You would need at least the best ASUS 990FX board to run it.

Would sure be an expensive system, and intel would smash it for the price these probably will be when matched with that board.

8. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

9. OP
    OP
    sandeep

sandeep Member

When will it be out, that is the real question. Cannot wait to see 5Ghz on my desktop CPUZ!! Bring it out already!

10. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Will be waiting for the reviews first lol, what really has me going is how far they can oc on water for 24/7 use. If there just A+ grade being ripped off the same waffer as the others then i won't be happy, in fact ill be grabbing the oldest made 8320 asap.

11. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

They lost the plot...

Why are they STILL on 32 nm?

12. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

They don't own mass scale fab plants like Intel, they have to use 3rd party's like tsmc and they can't produce enough atm i'am guessing. I think there doing a great job with the resources and money they have, everyone bitches but i doubt anyone could run the show better.
    Intel have 2 massive scale 14nm plants that are about to go into operation, tsmc don't have 1 yet on any size production scale :( anyhow you get the image money buys tech, so buy amd instead of intel and help the future. I just prey amd stays competitive because if they go under were all fucked, even mac users lolz dam x86 arc, well they could head back to motorolla cpu's lol.

13. snappy1

snappy1 Member

AMD have cherry picked these cpu's, they will be available in a very limited number and you will pay for it

14. paulbagz

paulbagz Member

I'd rather they fix the arch then the fab process.

-PB

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thats like saying buy a holden for the same price as a lamborghini to save holdens arse. As a buyer, I will buy the best product at the best price.
    If AMD had kept with the times then they wouldnt be in the predicament they are, they used to have a good product but they have dropped the ball big time in the last decade.
    Given that AMD are the biggy in GPUs, they are hardly the poor cousin either. They have the resources, they just dont have the product.

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Given that Intel are the biggy in CPUs, they are hardly the poor cousin either. They have the resources, they just don't have the product. (GPU)

Swapped it around for you to illustrate what's so wrong with your statement ;) . Only, Intel actually DO have resources.. I'm really not sure where you got the idea AMD, have even a fraction of intel's resource pool.

Now of course, a key difference is AMD did have a competitive CPU in the past, but being a decade ago, not relevant anymore. This is not an industry where companies sit on their laurels, then act when the competion catches up. For some reason, Intel thought it was a decade or so ago, but eventually woke up, grabbed their money bag and got to work.. AMD followed suit, had no money bag to grab, and look what happend.

Forget AMD, Intels cutting edge is so far in front of ANYONE that it's not funny. particuarly in process tech, but also their architecture, even comparing across different / non competing product types is #1

Anyway, back to these new SKUs.. They're really just a way of capitalizing on a small number of golden chips off the wafer, that otherwise would end up in the 8350 bin.

They have a 220W TDP hence they're not releasing them to the channel. No mobo's are qualified for that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  17. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

$123.88bn market cap for Intel, versus $2.82bn for AMD. Assets are $83.1bn for Intel, $3.80bn for AMD. I'd say that definitely makes AMD the "poor cousin". This isn't just a result of their recent poor CPUs; AMD has always been tiny compared to Intel, even when the Athlon64 was dominating the CPU market.

The car analogy is not really accurate as there are lots of car manufacturers around. Unless you count Via (which is probably not a good idea) there are exactly two x86 CPU manufacturers: AMD and Intel. If AMD goes under (or, more likely, decides that there's no point competing in the x86 market any more) then Intel can and will charge whatever they feel like for CPUs.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Didnt defend AMD at all, I own nothing they make, and the only thing they make which has any chance of being purchased by me is a 7750. The only reason for that incidentally is Sapphire make a low profile version, which happens to be the best card available for a SFF PC, which I have a couple projects happening with... so even if I buy one, its not because AMD do it better, its just that Sapphire are packaging it the way I need it.

My point is, they are NOT broke (nearly 3 billion is not exactly small change is it? ) , and they COULD compete.. if they made the right decisions.

They dropped the ball years ago, unless they get their shit together they certainly will hit the wall within a couple years. There was a time when AMD were the gamers choice, but that day has long past. They rested on their laurels and paid the price.

As for the car analogy, again you are missing the point. Someone said we should buy AMD to stop Intel from having a monopoly. My point is, why would I buy an inferior product just to save a company I really dont care much about? Let them come up with a competitive product, and I will reconsider.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  19. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

If they tried to match how much Intel spends on designing its chips, they'd be broke. Therefore they cannot compete directly.

Because, as a human, you're capable of planning ahead more than a week?

Suppose AMD quits the x86 game and Intel says "right, no competition, the Celeron G1610 now costs $200 and the Core i5 starts at $1000". Will you happily accept that? Or will you wish that there was a little bit of competition in the market to keep prices under control?

The x86 licensing agreements allow three companies to make x86 CPUs: Intel, AMD, and Via. Via's nowhere near competing with anyone; their top-end CPUs have plenty of trouble competing with the lowest-end CPUs from Intel and AMD. If AMD leaves, there won't be another company to step into their place.

I wouldn't suggest buying AMD CPUs that were woefully inadequate, but when they're pretty close to the Intel ones (as they tend to be in the Celeron/Pentium/Core i3 range) it might make sense to help AMD out a bit.

20. boneburner

boneburner Member

This 4 module/8 core effort from AMD that sucks down power like.. some power sucky thing, feels almost like a placeholder product "watch this space" they decry, whilst meanwhile back in the lab they are working on a very different beast altogether.

Unless your workhorse suddenly died and took out half the house in the process, I would hold until the release of Kaveri/Steamroller in the 4th quarter. Why? you ask, what could Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) and Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access (hUMA) do for me? Well god only knows at this point in time, the signs do look good though.

One thing that is still not clear is whether a new socket will be involved. If I remember correctly, AMD stated it would work on AM3+ boards but that was a while ago and I would not be at all surprised to see a change to harness the feature set.

This is the fruition of a long term plan for AMD and they will be around for a while yet.