1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor- AMD FX-9590

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sandeep, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

The market always sorts itself out. Supporting AMD because of worries Intel will have a monopoly is silly.

What WILL happen is someone buying AMDs assets for little money and doing things better. Nvidia could be a candidate and many others.

So I keep buying what gives me the best value for my money, which, for me, is Intel and Nvidia.

2. Digit

Digit Member

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that right now, AMD is found in the next generation consoles. I would also like to point out that unless you're running 3-4 graphics card, CPU bottleneck's don't really exist in a gaming environment as they tend to be limited by graphics, if you don't find this to be the case, turn your game up to full res and turn on some IQ and detail.

3. lithos

lithos Member

This. As long as you have four cores and 3Ghz, you're golden.

4. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

http://arstechnica.com/business/new...e-new-antitrust-allegations-against-intel.ars

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172321/eu_reveals_smoking_gun_email_from_intel_antitrust_probe.html

There's more if you trawl google too.

You could argue that if Intel had not fucked over AMD when they actually had a decent product, maybe AMD wouldn't be in the position they are in now.

5. fires

fires Member

That's exactly what happened. Intel got caught for anti-competitive behavior and paid for it... rest is history...and therefore under the circumstances AMD make a decent product, priced accordingly. AMD don't care about competing with Intel anymore and haven't for years because they know they cant and never will.

6. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

7. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I suspect that prices are that high because AMD know perfectly well that there aren't going to be many available. Might as well price them so that only people with more money than sense buy them.

9. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Price is ridonculous and will turn even more people off AMD :(

10. kandrews

kandrews Member

It really is sad to see them go down into virtual obscurity where ONLY their Graphic Video Products are worth buying now.

I suspect my AMD setup will be quietly packed away and stored in the cellar as I join the millions flocking to Intel's gear. Amazing how a company can collapse under it's own weight of stupidity and missed opportunities. :upset:

I still hate Intel but I despise AMD even more, for charging big dollars on OLD gear. I suspect management thinks we are all Ebay noobs willing to go into a bidding war for ancient processor technology.

11. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Did anyone stop to think that maybe the website got the price wrong? :rolleyes:

12. SLATYE

You mean Bulldozer?

Bulldozer was released in October 2011. Sandy Bridge was released in January 2011. Sure, Intel released Ivy Bridge in 2012, but that was just a die shrink of Sandy Bridge - not really a new design. Sounds like you should hate Intel even more, for charging even bigger dollars on even older gear.

Both AMD and Intel have recently released their new, replacement architectures (Piledriver and Haswell). Both AMD and Intel are continuing production of the old lines for now, until the new architectures take over all of their market positions.

13. kandrews

kandrews Member

So true, but I still have a 2600S which I still love. Uses so little power (sits at 18-22C all day/night long) because it is in a Torrent Download setup.

Although I just bought the A10-6800K (miserable little heater compared to the older 2600S), I still wish AMD had released more powerful cpu's that use far less power.

Intel is just refining it's hardware to smaller die shrinks but along the way they still are upgrading performance in smaller steps. Although I am no Haswell lover, but as time marches on and Intel releases further software refinements/bios for their gear. You have to ask where is AMD in all of this?

Oh I forgot, releasing expensive heaters to unsuspecting fanboys. Really is depressing for AMD users who still wish they had kept up with the die-shrinking instead of the price gouging. I hate to think that AMD will still be stuck with 32nm while their competitor has moved on to 22nm and smaller.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. SLATYE

AMD doesn't really have a choice with die shrinks. They'll move to smaller processes once the chip foundries are ready to do that.

It would be nice if AMD released faster, lower-power CPUs. Cheaper wouldn't hurt either. However, that's just not something they can do at this point. Hopefully they'll spring back with something wonderful, just like Intel did when the situations were reversed (Prescott versus the Athlon64).

15. kandrews

kandrews Member

Every night before I go to bed I pay my respects to the Lord and plead with him to make AMD great once again.

Thus far I've been ignored, but hope is still there in that they will receive the almighty blessing that they so desperately need ;).

16. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

So true, lol if the kiddies on this forum could wind back to those days, haha netburst , just think if Intel was still on the netburst path today and they did ride that dead horse for sometime to back then. Have a 945 D in the outside htpc, talk about strapping some cache for it age with 4mb :eek:

17. r3s

r3s Member

I am surprised noone has mentioned the Expected 220w TDP over the 125w TDP of the 8350.... thats damn near double and would require a decent water cooling solution to run "stock", not lookngi good for efficiency.

18. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

It's been mentioned.

Also it will have to be a custom or water cooled unit, these aren't about efficiency they're cherry picked overclockers that can reliably handle higher base voltage nothing more.

19. HeXa

HeXa Member

20. StreekG

StreekG Member